• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I will replace recoil springs on any semi-automatic firearm at about the 2500-3000 round mark. In my experience as a gunsmith that's where they begin to wear out. Past that point your critical components (frames, barrels, slides, locking blocks) start getting battered and malfunctions can pop up relating to the cycle of operations.

Swapping out a $10-20 spring at that part is good insurance, and consistent advice with every armorer class I've attended.

Ask me what a Beretta 92FS looks like after 20k rounds with an original recoil spring. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Ok but glock official word was replace RSA every 5000 I think or maybe more.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ok but glock official word was replace RSA every 5000 I think or maybe more.

I can check my notes, but it depends on what ammo you're running too, plus dry fire training etc. It's just my opinion though, I figure it's insurance. If you change your oil every 2000 miles, will it hurt your car?

Do you find your pistol to be more reliable with newer (stiffer) springs?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Glocks are generally good guns, and about as reliable as anything.

That being said, I don't know why people are so surprised. The reliability on Glocks is the stuff of overblown legend only exceeded by the AK-47. All guns have their problems and problem children within the brand.

My first generation G21 was a turd, and always guaranteed to malfunction at least a couple times or more every 100 rounds.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I can check my notes, but it depends on what ammo you're running too, plus dry fire training etc. It's just my opinion though, I figure it's insurance. If you change your oil every 2000 miles, will it hurt your car?

Hmm hard to tell. I think I have to newest ejector. I'm thinking new RSA and maybe get the apex extractor kit.

bigangrysob

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2013
    Cow County
    was really lookin forward to a G23/4. but now.....?

arent the gen 4's RSA identifiable by the dual spring look to it? wasnt that the magic fix?

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    was really lookin forward to a G23/4. but now.....?

arent the gen 4's RSA identifiable by the dual spring look to it? wasnt that the magic fix?

All 4th gens have dual springs. They started using a different RSA, don't know what was different but you can tell it's the newer one from the numbers on the RSA.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I just bought a glock, you all have me nervous now.

Don't be. Issues like this plague every manufacturer from time to time. I have a new Gen4 34 and I love it so far. I've only punched 50 rounds of PPU 115 gr FMJ through it but everything went well, ejection was positive and to the right.

I have enough confidence in it to run it in an IDPA classifier match this Saturday. I'm going to post up a thread tonight where I'll post my range report and list what parts are in there.

Any new design can have teething issues, and most do. I think the Gen4 problems are not as bad as they were at their release.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    My 19 G4 operates flawlessly however, if I let me son shoot it he will get several stove pipes per magazine. I atribute the malfunctions to not having a firm grip (limp wristing)on the handgun. After I corrected his grip and the stove pipes went away.

dav1d

Jan 20, 2013
    heard or saw some where that the gen 4's just need a longer break in time to soften up that spring. hopefully thats true and you'll end up liking that glock.

mazinger

Feb 11, 2013
    Columbia
    My G19 now has the apex extractor, oem plunger spring & oem bearing w/o lci. It works flawlessly except with weak ammo. I say send it back to make sure you have all the latest "fix" parts on them then try aftermarket or other combinations.

TripleEight

Apr 2, 2013
    Baltimore County
    In addition to getting rid of the 336 ejector, you should also get rid of the dipped extractor and get the updated part. Also put in a non-lci spring loaded bearing. The non-lci slb is slighty longer than the original slb. This will put more spring tension on the extractor and stop BTF.....Worked for me and the parts were cheap.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA

I contacted Glock and they told me anywhere from 2500-5000 rounds depending on ammo. They didn't clarify what kind of ammo wore it out sooner but it sounds like I'm going to get a bunch of RSAs and see what happens.

He also told me to check the spring loaded bearing and the EDP spring, but I have no idea what to check for.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Thanks for the update mrozowjj. I am coming up on my GLOCK Armorers course renewal time, when I last took it about 2 years ago the Gen4s were relatively new and they didn't really have everything sorted out yet.

I know I replace my springs ahead of schedule but I'd rather do it early than late. I've seen enough broken guns to scare me out of pushing the envelope. ;)

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Thanks for the update mrozowjj. I am coming up on my GLOCK Armorers course renewal time, when I last took it about 2 years ago the Gen4s were relatively new and they didn't really have everything sorted out yet.

I know I replace my springs ahead of schedule but I'd rather do it early than late. I've seen enough broken guns to scare me out of pushing the envelope. ;)

Seriously springs are cheap, the extractor spring is $2 and the RSA is only like $17. I'm tempted to buy a bunch just to have some spares but it wouldn't save me any money and just add clutter. I think I might order a second one just to throw in the range bag. If I'm at a match and it starts spitting rounds in my face boom new RSA.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Seriously springs are cheap, the extractor spring is $2 and the RSA is only like $17. I'm tempted to buy a bunch just to have some spares but it wouldn't save me any money and just add clutter. I think I might order a second one just to throw in the range bag. If I'm at a match and it starts spitting rounds in my face boom new RSA.

Yep, I keep spare RSAs in my range bag too. I bring an extra gun too. Two is one, one is none.

What do you call a competitive shooter who brings one gun to a match? - A spectator. ;)

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    I Shot 300 rounds today, zero problems. The only thing I changed was the ejector. The 336 ejector was obviously the issue, works perfect now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom