• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Debating between the Glock 21 in .45 or the S&W M&P45 2.0 for a sidearm while bow hunting, and just being out in the woods and a nightstand gun. Both feel good in my hands but haven't shot either one yet, looking for a place that rents them both.

Anyone have first hand experience with either or both? Opinions, suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    No experience with the S&W. But I do have a gen4 G21. I used it in a couple of pistol courses. Zero problems through 400 rounds or so. It's a Glock so I guess it couldn't be simpler. Soft shooting and rounds impact where I point the muzzle.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Handled a 2.0, not a fan of the changes, they added a stupid loaded chamber indicator that pops up in the sight picture, the slide stop is really stiff. It does have a bit more reset feel, but still not as difinitive as the GLOCK. The M&P grip is narrower and a bit sleeker, the GLOCK holds 3 more rounds, and the heavier slide and recoil assembly handles recoil better.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Don't own a G21, and haven't handled the 2.0 yet - but I have shot the living hell out of my 4" M&P .45, which is what I gravitate to.

As much as I like my M&P, I'd still steer you towards the Glock. It's got more strong points overall. But I'd gladly take either one.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I own a full size M&P .45 (not 2.0) as well as a GLOCK 21 gen 4 and here are my thoughts...
    I wear between a medium, and large size glove and the M&P fits better. The GLOCK is a bit big for my hand.
    Both guns work well. For competition I use the M&P as I can manipulate the gun faster.
    For a SHTF, or woods gun I will grab the GLOCK every time.
    The GLOCK is way easier to replace parts in, and with the plethora of companies supplying parts for them dirt cheap a spares kit will cost pennies and all parts can be installed with nothing more than a punch, or a nail.
    The m&p was sent to Dan Burwell in 2010 for a trigger, and set of sights and other than a magwell, and some cerakote has been left alone and functioned flawlessly in 3 seasons of competition.
    The GLOCK has a trigger job, sights,extended controls (for my size hands) and a Lone Wolf barrel so I can drop a 24lb recoil spring in it and shoot .45 Super.
    If you're going to shoot factory ammo I say pick whichever you can shoot well. If you want to shoot a 230gr chunk of lead at 1100fps I would go with the GLOCK.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Does it have to be a Gen 4?

Recoil Gunworks has the Gen 3 compensated. They also have the SF model.

Both are used very good condition and both are in the low $400 range.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    I have the G21 g4 and the M&P M2.0 9mm. I can tell you the M&P2 fixes many of the little problems of the Glock that I had to work around. It is where Glock should have gone wih Gen 4. The downside to the M&P2 is the extremely rough texture since it is hard on skin. It will chafe when carried IWB.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I have a G21 Gen 3 without any issues, even purchased a .460 Rowland barrel for it. Therefore, I shoot .45's and .460 Rowland.

The .460 Rowland barrel from LoneWolf with heavier RSA without any issues.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The M&P has a smaller grip that fits more people since the steel mag isn't as fat as Glock plastic mags. It basically feels like a 1.5 stack from what I remember of it. I can't get over the hinged and curved trigger.

Have you considered a 10mm Glock 20? It can handle hotter ammo in stock form than the 21 can. I don't believe you're supposed to simply drop in a .45 Super or .460 Rowland barrel into a 21 since the slide will unlock too fast. The 20 slide and barrel are over an ounce heavier than the 21 slide and barrel.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I have Glocks and I have M&Ps. I personally like the way the M&Ps feel in my hand better than the Glocks. I like higher capacity handguns for home defense and woods duty. I think quality will be equal, as both have performed excellent for me. That said, the M&P 2.0 is a new gun and I'm always hesitant to buy a new model until I'm convinced the bugs have been fixed.

My opinion:

Ergonomics - M&P
    Trigger - even
    Sights - M&P
    Reliability - Glock - Since M&P 2.0 is a new handgun (although the internals may be the same as the original M&P. I don't know either way)
    Capacity - Glock - 3 extra rounds!
    Intangibles - M&P is made in America.

I think I'd go with the Glock for your intended purposes, but be forewarned that the G21 is a thick gun with a large grip. I have the G20 Gen 4 (has the same frame as the G21) and it is not for medium to small hands (my glove size is large and it's a handful for me). If I was carrying the gun as EDC, I'd go with the M&P.

Good luck.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I've handled both, and both felt pretty good in my hands, I wear a large to xl glove. Whichever I pick will only be carried unconcealed, so no worries on Rubbing while carrying IWB.

Guess I'll just have to try to rent both and see which one speaks to me, lol.

Big plus for me on the M&P is that it's made in America, especially if it's a reliable gun.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I've handled both, and both felt pretty good in my hands, I wear a large to xl glove. Whichever I pick will only be carried unconcealed, so no worries on Rubbing while carrying IWB.

Guess I'll just have to try to rent both and see which one speaks to me, lol.

Big plus for me on the M&P is that it's made in America, especially if it's a reliable gun.

I'd do some research on how many/what changes they made to the internals. If all the changes are cosmetic, then I'd have no reservation about getting one.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Handled a 2.0, not a fan of the changes, they added a stupid loaded chamber indicator that pops up in the sight picture, the slide stop is really stiff. It does have a bit more reset feel, but still not as difinitive as the GLOCK. The M&P grip is narrower and a bit sleeker, the GLOCK holds 3 more rounds, and the heavier slide and recoil assembly handles recoil better.

Only on the CA (nut-bag) version, not the others.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I'd do some research on how many/what changes they made to the internals. If all the changes are cosmetic, then I'd have no reservation about getting one.

From what I understand the trigger is the only difference. It's supposed to have a much shorter reset than the original.

Incorrect! The CA version makes you enter your social security number before you shoot each bullet.

:lol2:

lol I just lost it at work reading this. Thanks haha.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Only on the CA (nut-bag) version, not the others.

Heard it's on all 5" guns, not sure which other models it will be on, saw the LCI on a couple models at the outdoor show, it sucks, but Apex already makes a low-pro/flush indicator

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    If you go with the Glock, you have the added flexibility of swapping in a G20 or G40 slide assembly and mags for some hot 10mm action.

After market for the G21 seems better too.

That being said, the M&P 2.0 look pretty damn cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll have to get my hands on a 2.0 to see how the new trigger stacks up to my slightly worked-over trigger.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    If you go with the Glock, you have the added flexibility of swapping in a G20 or G40 slide assembly and mags for some hot 10mm action.

After market for the G21 seems better too.

That being said, the M&P 2.0 look pretty damn cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do that? Lol.

I'll have to get my hands on a 2.0 to see how the new trigger stacks up to my slightly worked-over trigger.

I'm hunting for a place to rent them both still and try them both out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom