• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Bought a used LEO Glock 23. It has tritium night sights.
    It groups low and left about 8" from the center of the target. When I benched it, it did the same. I would like to get it sighted in to see how much of it is my form and how much of it is the gun (it's probably mostly me).

Once I know the gun is right on, I can concentrate on my form.
    Can anyone recommend someone? I am in the Frederick, MD area.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    What distance? I just replaced my G23 sights with Glock factory night sights. The rear sight is centered on the slide and it shoots pretty much dead on from 7 yards out off the bench. Also the front sight has a little bit of side to side angle movement. I made sure mine was exactly centered once it was tightened down. Not sure about the elevation problem but it could be how you are lining up the site with the point of aim.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    low and left generally indicates you're yanking the trigger but of course that may not be the case. have some buddies shoot it and see what results they get. glocks definitely aren't known for having nice smooth triggers, so take all the time you need to fire off a couple of shots.

are you getting good groups, just in the wrong place, or are you not getting good groups either.

unfortunately unless you have adjustable rear sights, not much you can do about up and down, but you can drift the rear sight as needed to fix the left-right issue. is the rear centered L-R on the slide?

if you go to dawsonprecision.com i believe they have a measurement page that lets you know proper sight heights given front and rear sights, so that would let you know if the sights are at least technically correct for your gun.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    concentrate on pulling the trigger straight back, might even try putting more finger on the trigger(centered on the joint) and see if that makes a difference. can also try shooting left handed vs right handed, if any of those things moves the group an appreciable amount, it's you, not the gun. GLOCKs are notoriously good for showing minor trigger control/grip issues. Depending on how far away you are, an 8" adjustment would definitely be noticeable, at 25' the sight would need to be drifted almost 1/4" probably hanging out of the dovetail, so barring a major and unlikely defect in the pistol or ammo, it's you.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Low left or wherever is nothing when you are saying 8" off. Try aiming high right about 8' and see what is happening. You give us no clue how you are sighting, or if you even know how. Are you a new shooter? We need something to work with here when we diagnose over the internet :)

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    What distance? I just replaced my G23 sights with Glock factory night sights. The rear sight is centered on the slide and it shoots pretty much dead on from 7 yards out off the bench. Also the front sight has a little bit of side to side angle movement. I made sure mine was exactly centered once it was tightened down. Not sure about the elevation problem but it could be how you are lining up the site with the point of aim.

The distance is 15 feet

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    low and left generally indicates you're yanking the trigger but of course that may not be the case. have some buddies shoot it and see what results they get. glocks definitely aren't known for having nice smooth triggers, so take all the time you need to fire off a couple of shots.

are you getting good groups, just in the wrong place, or are you not getting good groups either.

unfortunately unless you have adjustable rear sights, not much you can do about up and down, but you can drift the rear sight as needed to fix the left-right issue. is the rear centered L-R on the slide?

if you go to dawsonprecision.com i believe they have a measurement page that lets you know proper sight heights given front and rear sights, so that would let you know if the sights are at least technically correct for your gun.

It is grouping well when I take my time. the distance is 15' If I shoot high and right , it groups in the center.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Bought a used LEO Glock 23. It has tritium night sights.
    It groups low and left about 8" from the center of the target. When I benched it, it did the same. I would like to get it sighted in to see how much of it is my form and how much of it is the gun (it's probably mostly me).

Once I know the gun is right on, I can concentrate on my form.
    Can anyone recommend someone? I am in the Frederick, MD area.
    Aim 8 inches higher and to the right. Problem solved. J/K

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    Low left is almost always the shooter. Do you have any experienced friends or maybe the RSO can confirm if the sights have any issues?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    so it groups good when you take your time, but it still shoots low and left? i still say to have a buddy shoot it, or go to a range and ask someone nearby (who is getting good groups) to shoot it and see what happens. just want to rule out the shooter (you) before you go and start changing your sights around. just go super slo mo, one shot every five seconds, pulling the trigger as absolutely slowly as you can. no speed contest here, you're going for 100% accuracy.

i was at a range a while back and two guys were shooting the one's gun low and left and were blaming the sights. they asked me to give it a try and i was hitting center. i told them to slow down, middle of finger pad on the trigger, good solid grip with thumbs aligned, etc and they started hitting the center no problem.

good luck! also where do you live as someone here might accompany you to help you out at the range.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    so it groups good when you take your time, but it still shoots low and left? i still say to have a buddy shoot it, or go to a range and ask someone nearby (who is getting good groups) to shoot it and see what happens. just want to rule out the shooter (you) before you go and start changing your sights around. just go super slo mo, one shot every five seconds, pulling the trigger as absolutely slowly as you can. no speed contest here, you're going for 100% accuracy.

i was at a range a while back and two guys were shooting the one's gun low and left and were blaming the sights. they asked me to give it a try and i was hitting center. i told them to slow down, middle of finger pad on the trigger, good solid grip with thumbs aligned, etc and they started hitting the center no problem.

good luck! also where do you live as someone here might accompany you to help you out at the range.

I usually have the shooter load 1 round at a time to FORCE them to go slow. Without fail, even when someone has a full mag and I am standing there telling them to go slow, they still can't. LOL

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I have a new Springfield Mil Spec that is shooting about 6-7" left (slightly low) and was using blazer alum ammo. I've been shooting pistols since 1992 and was amazed that I was so far off. groups were about 4-5" at 25 yards (which kinda sucks). I had the gun out the other day and noticed the rear sight looks to be about .025 inch to the right of center of the gun. This is what I'm doing.

1. reload some quality ammo and see if good ammo works better.
    2. if #1 does not work take a punch and move rear sight back to center.
    3. if #1 & #2 does not work go to police station and get gun buy back money.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    oh forgot to mention since you live in Frederick, as I do. I'd be happy to go shooting with you and see if we can diagnose our problems.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    ah, frederick i see it in your note but not your info. so thurmont conservation club above frederick in thurmont is having an idpa match this saturday. i will be there and would be happy to shoot a few groups with your gun to see what's going on, also folks there definitely better than me we can have check. good chance for you to check out a match also so you can do it the next time. and i highly recommend matches like this to get some serious "seat time" with your gun under a little stress on the clock. look in the Competition folder here for the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom