Glock 43 Hollow-point round recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I'm not an expert in the field but I think this is an over thought topic. The chances of using your firearm for self-defense are small. The chances of using your firearm for self-defense and having the difference between winning or losing the fight come down to which hollow point you chose is even smaller.

I get that it was a bigger deal a couple decades ago because bullet technology wasn't quite what it is today. Shot placement is far more important than bullet selection. Pretty much anything from a reputable manufacturer is fine.

I used to sweat this stuff a lot and then I just realized that training and shot placement is more important than gear. I'm not suggesting running with FMJs, but if it's a hollow point from a reputable manufacturer, and it works, its probably fine.

Are + P rounds better on paper than standard pressure? Yes. I carried them for a while. Then when I started training a lot more I realize that even though I'm a somewhat experienced pistol shooter, my accuracy increased with standard pressure rounds. That +p makes a significant increase in recoil.

Now I run standard pressure 124 Federal HST and I practice with 124 grain ball. I would put hundreds of rounds of standard pressure ball for practice, and then every now and then when I shot my hollow points in +p, I realized it was like shooting a different gun.

I can't feel the difference in standard pressure vs +p as much in my G17 for instance, but my 43 or 43x? Oh yeah.

Pick a popular hollow point from a reputable manufacturer that you can find, make sure it works in your gun which it probably will, and you're good.

^^THIS--Or ask for opinions and get dozens and dozens with few based on any data or your specific gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Very Short Answer - Whatever 9mm defensive round you prefer in 9mm's generally .

Any of the top 6 or 12 of the usual mainstream suspects doesn't suck , and the marginal differences aren't great . Thanks to Ammo Jon , the 9mm's of all flavors in the family have standardized on HST 124 .

Rambling Answer - There might or might not be factors affected by bbl lengths , but the approaches vary, and are sometimes contradictory .

Mr. B

Jul 9, 2019
    MD
    My personal Glocks have flawlessly fed everything I've ever tried and I believe that is a well-earned reputation for Glocks.

There are several youtube videos showing Federal HST 147's performing excellently in compact 9's.

That's my go to.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The biggest single potential issue with tiny 9mm vs " normal " 9mm pistols is recoil/ muzzle flip , and your control thereof . Hits count , and everything else reasonably equivalent , the better placed, and more timely the better .

IF your personal belief system rises and sets upon trying to velocity match short bbl , and "normal" bbl length , then use +P or " Short Barrel " ammo . But be honest with yourself about the above paragraph .

If you're really obsessed with velocity , either commit yourself to dressing around the gun, and carry a 4inch gun, or trade in for a subcompact .357 Sig .

If you're an adherent of a particular bullet weight in " normal" 9mm , you'll probably like the same in your subcompact . 50-75fps isn't going to usually change the basic performance characteristics ( in 9mn , in other cals it might ).

* For Me* , I'm anti- 147gr , and a truck load of modern-ish 124-7 are good stuff , plus selected legacy 115gr loads also . But I've mostly given up showing 147 users the error of their ways .

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    I think any reputable 9mm hollowpoint is fine. But if you have the opportunity to give yourself every edge from the get, with a simple thing like ammo choice which wont change the dynamics of your training or gun handling. Why wouldnt you take it?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The biggest single potential issue with tiny 9mm vs " normal " 9mm pistols is recoil/ muzzle flip , and your control thereof . Hits count , and everything else reasonably equivalent , the better placed, and more timely the better .

IF your personal belief system rises and sets upon trying to velocity match short bbl , and "normal" bbl length , then use +P or " Short Barrel " ammo . But be honest with yourself about the above paragraph .

If you're really obsessed with velocity , either commit yourself to dressing around the gun, and carry a 4inch gun, or trade in for a subcompact .357 Sig .

If you're an adherent of a particular bullet weight in " normal" 9mm , you'll probably like the same in your subcompact . 50-75fps isn't going to usually change the basic performance characteristics ( in 9mn , in other cals it might ).

* For Me* , I'm anti- 147gr , and a truck load of modern-ish 124-7 are good stuff , plus selected legacy 115gr loads also . But I've mostly given up showing 147 users the error of their ways .

except of course for the reduced powder volume in 147s that cuts down on muzzle flash/noise, longer dwell, performance at low velocities, and their greater efficiency in short barrels.;) The choice between 124s and 147s usually comes down to POI vs POA, recoil, reliability, and cost/availability.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    except of course for the reduced powder volume in 147s that cuts down on muzzle flash/noise, longer dwell, performance at low velocities, and their greater efficiency in short barrels.;) The choice between 124s and 147s usually comes down to POI vs POA, recoil, reliability, and cost/availability.

Which one would you like to be shot with?

Which one would you not like to be shot with?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I concede current 147gr sucks less than 1st generation 147gr , but still haven't been convinced of advantages over 115- 124 gr
    ( Overlooking handloads with extreme powder burning speed to manipulate slide velocities for 0.001sec difference in split times for shooting steel and cardboard . But it's a semi free country still for the moment , and the 147gr issue is well down the priorities .)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Which one would you like to be shot with?

Which one would you not like to be shot with?

I don't want someone to piss on my leg either, doesn't mean that is the best defensive technique. Figure if we couldn't argue about near meaningless nuances of firearms, and pointless off topic things this place probably wouldn't be here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom