• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    I am not really a glock person, but came across a good deal on a 26 and bit. Only problem I have with it is that the trigger safety indents my trigger finger badly. Looking into this, I came across the Apex trigger upgrade kit which is supposed to have a flatter faced trigger. Anyway, that led to a rabbit trail of people saying to do a firing pin safety upgrade while at it... so that is the background. My question is, any reason to go with a Zev firing pin safety vs. the Apex? Pricing is similar. I have no familiarity with either one, but already have the Apex trigger purchased. Also, in case it matters, I am thinking of putting the Zev competition spring set in.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Neithe one is better. To be honest, I've only seen the Zev and their stuff is excellent.

Cheaper alternative is to polish the stock safety. Just smooth it out and you'll have it, but never notice it.

My two cents.

PIRANHA

Greek Redneck
    Sep 22, 2013
    Essex, Maryland
    Your best bang for the buck is oc custom triggers. They use oem glock parts and has both adjustable pre travel and over travel. They are excellent triggers for the money.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    When I think Zev I think of soft metal and poor QC. Not like the Zev of yesteryear that was innovative and used high quality stuff. If the Glock isn't a dedicated racegun I leave the ignition parts and pieces alone. A jewelers file can be used to smooth or flatten the trigger safety and radius the corners, but the easiest fix is to shoot or dry fire the hell out of it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Simple answer is a GLO-357 smooth faced factory trigger, comes stock on 3rd gen full sized 9/40 models, the uncomfortable serrated "target" trigger is needed to pass import BS. I replace all my serrated triggers with one, after that it's good, could polish stuff, maybe polish and radius the striker block and polish/stone the trigger bar along with a heavier trigger spring(lowers takeup weight). Wouldn't mess with anything else if there is remote chance it will be used defensively. If it's competition/range only, then a Zev trigger is probably the best way to go. For any setup, I wouldn't change the striker spring, some kits will use a lighter one to shave a little weight off the 2nd stage pull, at the expense of reliability, usually not worth it. Oddly enough the only trigger paddle I found uncomfortable was an Apex plastic trigger for my M&P, had to file down the back of the tab a little so it could be pushed flush, Never had a problem with GLOCK, other than the serrated triggers, paddles always go nearly flush, although if you have a seam from the mold, easy enough to smooth it.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had one Glock, 10mm. Noticed those rough places in the trigger pull. Used a stone on the striker block hump of the draw bar, the sides of the draw bar, the striker lug face and the corresponding part in the FCG. Trigger was quite decent. Trigger and safety lever were adequate. The narrow trigger guard window and the trigger did abrade and pinch my trigger finger. Never fired it, sold it.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    your finger is hurt by a piece of plastic?

I recommend buying some Captains of Crush and working on your hand strength. Once you have mastered the first few levels, get some buckets full of concrete and carry them to your mailbox every day when you check it.

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    your finger is hurt by a piece of plastic?

I recommend buying some Captains of Crush and working on your hand strength. Once you have mastered the first few levels, get some buckets full of concrete and carry them to your mailbox every day when you check it.

Ha ha, no it isn't that the trigger pull is too much, it is the annoying trigger safety piece digs into the skin of my finger. My FIL's finger pad was nearly bleeding after running a few mags. I had read a few online reviews where people likened the apex replacement trigger to a flat faced 1911.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    The Gen 3 Glock 17 trigger will fit and has a smooth face. You can order them online. That's the cheapest route and what I did to my Glock 19.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I upgraded by polishing the Firing pin safety and firing pin (nothing else) and now the trigger safety does not reset, does not protrude, trigger has a shorter take up but no "Glock safety #1". So my 34 mos with about 1500 rnds through it lives in the corn field. What is comparable that I should get? M&P Pro?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I upgraded by polishing the Firing pin safety and firing pin (nothing else) and now the trigger safety does not reset, does not protrude, trigger has a shorter take up but no "Glock safety #1". So my 34 mos with about 1500 rnds through it lives in the corn field. What is comparable that I should get? M&P Pro?
    $200 for your Glock paper weight.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

You should get a new firing pin safety and firing pin.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Must have put something back wrong, not allowing the trigger to move forward, could be a few things that could bind up the striker, even a couple in the lower end, the trigger or striker spring not seated correctly are common things that can bind it up.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Thanks everyone,
    Found a, well ironically since I threw it into the cornfield, piece of corn husk from a JHP round I polished (and did not completely clean out the nose) jammed into the groove in the top of the trigger where the trigger bar pivots. something less than 1/16th of an inch can sit in there and keep the trigger from fully resetting therefore keeping the safety from being engaged. So ... Now I know why Glock says not to use reloads, just kidding.

I have done the same $.25 polishing to all my Glocks, we'll just say more than 5, and I had not taken apart the lower on this one yet so it had me baffled. Funny how no one offered their opinion on a good replacement for a Glock :)

Last edited:

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thanks everyone,
    Found a, well ironically since I threw it into the cornfield, piece of corn husk from a JHP round I polished (and did not completely clean out the nose) jammed into the groove in the top of the trigger where the trigger bar pivots. something less than 1/16th of an inch can sit in there and keep the trigger from fully resetting therefore keeping the safety from being engaged. So ... Now I know why Glock says not to use reloads, just kidding.

I have done the same $.25 polishing to all my Glocks, we'll just say more than 5, and I had not taken apart the lower on this one yet so it had me baffled. Funny how no one offered their opinion on a good replacement for a Glock :)

Because there isn't one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom