• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I bought a Glock 26 recently on line and the guy said it had a really funky trigger. I got a great deal on it because of this issue. I finally got around to picking it up from John Lowe today and came home and took it apart. Apart from it being FILTHY, it had what's called a NY Trigger. This is a contraption that takes the place of a coiled spring. It makes the Glock feel like a DA pistol with a 12 lb trigger. Crappiest trigger I've ever felt. Between this trigger and the filth of the mechanism, I don't know how anyone could shoot it.

Did a complete cleaning and replaced all the springs and a 3.5 lb ghost disconnect and it feels like the trigger is crisp and breaking very clean. I also added an extended mag release while I was inside the firearm.

To be honest with you, I've never seen or heard of a NY Trigger. I thought I had a broken part causing the crappy trigger. I learned A LOT today. It was great to work on this firearm. It just proves that you're never too old to learn something new.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I bought a Glock 26 recently on line and the guy said it had a really funky trigger. I got a great deal on it because of this issue. I finally got around to picking it up from John Lowe today and came home and took it apart. Apart from it being FILTHY, it had what's called a NY Trigger. This is a contraption that takes the place of a coiled spring. It makes the Glock feel like a DA pistol with a 12 lb trigger. Crappiest trigger I've ever felt. Between this trigger and the filth of the mechanism, I don't know how anyone could shoot it.

Did a complete cleaning and replaced all the springs and a 3.5 lb ghost disconnect and it feels like the trigger is crisp and breaking very clean. I also added an extended mag release while I was inside the firearm.

To be honest with you, I've never seen or heard of a NY Trigger. I thought I had a broken part causing the crappy trigger. I learned A LOT today. It was great to work on this firearm. It just proves that you're never too old to learn something new.

We got to try out the NY triggers when I went to Glock armorer school a few years back.

I remember thinking the lowest NY trigger weight they had wasn't all that bad, relatively speaking. But, the heaviest one was terrible, I can't see how anyone would ever be able to qualify with that thing in the gun.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    NY triggers were designed for NYPD officers when they were first issued Glocks. The 12lb trigger was designed to simulate the DA feel of their old revolvers.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    NY triggers were designed for NYPD officers when they were first issued Glocks. The 12lb trigger was designed to simulate the DA feel of their old revolvers.

I guess it was a combination of the filthy firearm and the NY trigger, but I've fired a Charter Arms, 44 special Bull Dog that had a better trigger.

This thing was T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    That sounds like the stock trigger in my s&w sigma. Pretty sure that was the worst factory trigger of all time...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Huh. I like the NY-1 , the take up makes it feel DA revolver- like ( a good thing), less "boing-y" than std, even less likely to break.

NY-2 isn't totally unshootable if you can handle a DA rev with crappy trigger, but it is over the top, and less shootable.

The first time I tried a NY-1 , I had my G17 upgraded later the same day ( 1st Gen obviously since this was '88).

G29sf doesn't have one YET. I want to do some more test driving of circa 2013 trigger , but it will eventually wear an NY-1 .

Added background history -

Glock developed the Original NY trigger with an eye to getting business from NYPD. Didn't come about at the time, but they did score with NY State Police, and various small and medium agencies in the region.

Several years later, Glock developed the really heavy trigger , and was approved by NYPD. The original 8lb trigger then became known as the NY-1 , and the 12lb as the NY-2 .

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    12 friggin lbs..?? I agree with the other post that said he doesn't understand how anyone could qualify with that..ugh..:sad20:

The good news is, it doesn't get much easier than Glock when it comes to the ease with which you can do your own upgrades, and the massive availability and affordability of aftermarket parts and accessories.

All my Glocks, and I have 7 at last count, received the typical upgrade parts like springs, connectors, plungers, etc. and they all have nice smooth triggers in the 4.5 to 5 lb range. My Gawd.. just thinking about 12 lbs, gives me a headache.. $#@!% :rolleyes:

LoveToShoot

Jun 4, 2015
    Bel Air, Md
    NYPD wasn't the only department that went to it. BPD was on that bandwagon as well. We had too many "accidental" discharges when we switched from the revolvers. I hate it but can't change it due to departmental regulations. I help "problem" shooters in my off time and let then try my standard trigger on one of my other glocks. They are amazed at how much better they do just with a lighter, smoother trigger.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    12 friggin lbs..?? I agree with the other post that said he doesn't understand how anyone could qualify with that..ugh..:sad20:

The good news is, it doesn't get much easier than Glock when it comes to the ease with which you can do your own upgrades, and the massive availability and affordability of aftermarket parts and accessories.

All my Glocks, and I have 7 at last count, received the typical upgrade parts like springs, connectors, plungers, etc. and they all have nice smooth triggers in the 4.5 to 5 lb range. My Gawd.. just thinking about 12 lbs, gives me a headache.. $#@!% :rolleyes:

Imagine that 12 lb trigger in the filthiest gun you've ever seen. Just wiping down the parts, the rag was almost black. My ultrasonic cleaner started to cry when I put the slide and frame into it's belly. :D

The trigger was so bad, it' actually hurt my finger to dry fire it. It was absolutely filthy.

But, my baby is clean and papa is happy how things have turned out. The sights will be ordered today and after that, I'll have an almost perfect handgun.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Imagine that 12 lb trigger in the filthiest gun you've ever seen. Just wiping down the parts, the rag was almost black. My ultrasonic cleaner started to cry when I put the slide and frame into it's belly. :D

The trigger was so bad, it' actually hurt my finger to dry fire it. It was absolutely filthy.

But, my baby is clean and papa is happy how things have turned out. The sights will be ordered today and after that, I'll have an almost perfect handgun.

If you don't mind me asking, have you put your cleaned up baby on a trigger pull gauge..?? Honestly, I'm just curious to hear what the difference was if you did.

I personally feel that anybody who is going to try and improve trigger pull weight and smoothness with various modifications, a trigger pull gauge of some kind is pretty much an absolute necessity, and the newer digital ones are both very affordable and very accurate, and IMHO are worth every penny for anyone who is going down this road, and that includes both rifle and pistol shooters.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I do not have one but my educated finger says it's between 4 and 5 lbs.

I don't really need one either. All I'm looking for is a nice clean break at around 5 lbs. I don't have any handgun that I know an exact poundage where the trigger breaks.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I take it you've never shot a P64 with a stock trigger?

No, I have not. But I would put this trigger up against that one any day. I've got a Kel Tec P11 and that trigger is 10 times better than this Glock trigger, when I got the Glock.

I'm not saying that there aren't worse triggers out there. I'm just saying that this is the worst I have ever seen.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    NYPD wasn't the only department that went to it. BPD was on that bandwagon as well. We had too many "accidental" discharges when we switched from the revolvers. I hate it but can't change it due to departmental regulations. I help "problem" shooters in my off time and let then try my standard trigger on one of my other glocks. They are amazed at how much better they do just with a lighter, smoother trigger.

I was issued my Glock 17 duty weapon in the first group of people to convert from revolvers, in December of 1990. It came stock with a NYT spring...

No BPD Glock pistols were issued with a regular OEM trigger spring. And when I purchased my off duty G26... I was required to buy one with the NYT spring installed before it would be approved for carry.

The NYT spring was never a remedy for ADs or NDs...

I still own both pistols. They both are still sporting the NYT spring.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    No, I have not. But I would put this trigger up against that one any day. I've got a Kel Tec P11 and that trigger is 10 times better than this Glock trigger, when I got the Glock.

I'm not saying that there aren't worse triggers out there. I'm just saying that this is the worst I have ever seen.

When I was working for another FFL we'd go to the range at least once a week. He brought out a P64 once and told me it was a possible return to distributor as it was having light primer strikes in DA. So I loaded a mag and with 7 rounds in the gun decocking between trigger pulls managed 4 hits on a B27. Nowhere even near COM and I've had tighter groups on flying clays with my Beretta. The trigger is no joke 20+ pounds and felt like dragging a train made out of sandpaper over a track made out of cobblestone. Turns out he was F-ing with me and wanted to see if I could even manage to hit the paper. On the first shot I got about halfway and stopped and I knew either the gun was broken or he was F-ing with me. Recoil management sucked too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom