• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    new winter season was fun, can't wait until the spring season I have a new property I want to try.

Attachments

• 0122151151.jpg
      0122151151.jpg
      137.9 KB · Views: 274

Flyfishfreak

Feb 6, 2015
    Anyone got some suggestions on mimicking Maryland Turkey's? I am pretty good with most friction and diaphragm style calls, but mainly looking for a local call manufacturer.Even a production call that you think mimics really well will work.

Cheers!

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Anyone got some suggestions on mimicking Maryland Turkey's? I am pretty good with most friction and diaphragm style calls, but mainly looking for a local call manufacturer.Even a production call that you think mimics really well will work.

Cheers!

Mostly, don't call. Scout, watch their morning struts and set an intercept with puts and purrs. I'm no expert but, I don't call til later in the morning/afternoon.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Can any of you guys recommend a book, video, website or other information source for someone who has never hunted turkey? With deer hunting I didn't really start to hit my stride until I read a few books and asked knowledgeable people about it every chance I got.

I know a really good spot to find them on some public land I've hiked and deer hunted, and once spent an afternoon watching them do their thing on the edge of a laurel thicket, but I've never hunted them and don't really know how to go about it. Also, the time I watched them it was September, so I don't know if they'll be in the same spot in April.

Edit: on the same token, if you know how to hunt them and would benefit from knowing where to go to find them, perhaps I can show you where and you should show me how. The place I've identified is in George Washington National Forest in VA.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I saw a tom strutting today towards a field full of Canadian geese. kinda weird

he was gonna get his freak on and you ruined his game:lol2:

Ive been seeing turkey all winter here...its been a mild winter so if spring is dry it will be a good year for turkey. I havent been outside much to hear if they are gobbling yet.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Can any of you guys recommend a book, video, website or other information source for someone who has never hunted turkey? With deer hunting I didn't really start to hit my stride until I read a few books and asked knowledgeable people about it every chance I got.

I know a really good spot to find them on some public land I've hiked and deer hunted, and once spent an afternoon watching them do their thing on the edge of a laurel thicket, but I've never hunted them and don't really know how to go about it. Also, the time I watched them it was September, so I don't know if they'll be in the same spot in April.

Edit: on the same token, if you know how to hunt them and would benefit from knowing where to go to find them, perhaps I can show you where and you should show me how. The place I've identified is in George Washington National Forest in VA.

Look up anything by Dick Kirby. Vids,books,tapes etc. He also reps for Quaker Boy Turkey calls.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    That is funny. :lol:

he was gonna get his freak on and you ruined his game:lol2:

Ive been seeing turkey all winter here...its been a mild winter so if spring is dry it will be a good year for turkey. I havent been outside much to hear if they are gobbling yet.

yeah, he was all swole up struttin up and down and angling toward the geese and they just kept moving away and keeping their distance. like I said kinda weird. I bet he was thinking " whats wrong with these women and why are their so damn many of them?"

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    yeah, he was all swole up struttin up and down and angling toward the geese and they just kept moving away and keeping their distance. like I said kinda weird. I bet he was thinking " whats wrong with these women and why are their so damn many of them?"

:lol2: Ive heard of Turducken...maybe this is something new;)

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I had 6 big gobblers walk right across the road in front of me last week between Littlestown and Hanover, PA. The guy in the car in front of me was blocking traffic while videoing 'em on his phone.
    I saw a few the other night here in littlestown too, near littlestown rd and white hall rd... I wish they would wander over my way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom