Going to Elk Neck soon, have a few questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rogue780

Jan 16, 2011
    Dundalk
    I'm planning on going to Elk Neck either today or tomorrow. After reading the info on the site, I have a few questions.

1) Do I have to bring my own stand to hand a target from, or is there something there I can hang a target from?

2) For the day pass, can I just pay when I get up there, or do I have to purchase that from somewhere else before I go?

Thanks.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    You need your own target stand and you can pay at the entrance to the forest...bring a 10. Its an honor system drop box. I know its closed right now cause of snow...here is the number 410-287-5675.

rogue780

Jan 16, 2011
    Dundalk
    Stupid snow.

Are target stands something that one buys, or would sticking a couple of 2x4's together be a good bet?

(I'm rather new to shooting in civilian locations with weapons other than an M16...so please pardon my stupid questions)

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    No big. 2x4's or pvc pipe. The center of the target has to be 4ft from the ground. Also, the stands are supposed to be free standing.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    You could be like me and bring a coffee table LOL. If thats not redneck...

anyways, build a PVC pipe stand. its pretty easy and you can look it up online

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    I don't know which direction you are coming from, but if you get on I-95 and get off at the Northeast exit, you will head south on Route 272. Eventually, you will come to the intersection of Route 272 and Route 40. Just before that intersection, there is a shopping center, on the right. There is a Wal-Mart there, in case you need targets, ammo, ear and eye protection, a cheap target stand...
    Cross over Route 40 and head into the Town of Northeast. The road will become divided as you you go through town, and as it comes back together, on the other side of town, start looking for the range sign, and/or Irishtown Road. Make a left on Irishtown, go a couple of miles and the entrance to the park is on the left. When you enter the park, look for the pole barn on the left and pull over next to it. On the end of the building, you'll find the drop box, paper work, envelopes, etc... Fill it out, include $10, put it in the envelope and drop it in the box. The form gets torn in half, half gets put in the envelope, and you keep the other half as your permit. Get back out on the trail, turn left, follow the trail and up on the left is the parking lot to the rifle and pistol ranges. Have a great and safe time!

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    And do yourself a favor and buy the year pass for 50, i went for the first tyime in october and didnt think the 50 was worth it, 70 later i should have done it.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Try the agc. They don't close because of snow. They have their own snow removal equipment and have done a good job keeping the range open.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    You could be like me and bring a coffee table LOL. If thats not redneck...

anyways, build a PVC pipe stand. its pretty easy and you can look it up online

I got a new dining room table and chairs and I stapled stuff to the back of the chairs for a while when I didnt feel like building targets. The only problem I found with this was that it blew off huge chunks of wood for me to clean up and dispose of afterwards, I just made a few PVC target sets after that lol

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    All of the repairs are complete at all of the ranges. Unfortunately, all trails and roads are closed on the forest due to icing. It is anticipated that the forest will reopen next week but that is dependant on the condition of the hill leading down to the range complex.

All of the snow has been removed but the ice underneath has not melted down after spreading material over it to assist with melting.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Watch your six at Elk Neck.. a lot of novice/dangerous shooters out there, especially when there aren't any RSOs on duty.

It's gotten better, but read through the forum threads and you'll see many of us have gotten a good look down the barrel of somebody's uncontrolled muzzle.

Lostfantum

Ultimate Member
    Nov 27, 2007
    Middle River, Maryland
    If you see an issue address it directly or call and have it addressed, the phone numbers are posted at the ranges, office and on the passes. Safety is everyones responsibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom