• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I played in a golf tournament yesterday (Hunting Hawk Golf Club, Glen Allen, VA) which got me interested in playing more often. I am not a golfer - played less than 5 rounds, the last time over 10 years ago. I would like to take lessons, since I am basically a blank slate (don't have to "unlearn" years of bad golf habits).

I am in Southern Maryland. Any recommendations on golf instructors?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Tbe better you get, the less fun it is. I eventually gave it up. I don't miss it at all.

Why is that???

I love it when I'm playing AND scoring well. And I also have fun just getting out for a casual round with some friends, regardless of the score.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    Tbe better you get, the less fun it is. I eventually gave it up. I don't miss it at all.

I hear ya. I've been playing consistently for years and played on my college team. I finally got to the point where I just couldn't justify the greens fees to play a decent course. I still like to get out a few times a month and just play the cheaper courses.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Getting a golf lesson package was one of the smartest thigns I ever did. I took lessons at East Potomac Park (AKA Haine's Point) in DC. The lessons are cheaper in the winter. I got 6 half hour lessons for $250 or something like that. Worth every penny. If I didn't have opportunities to play for work, I probably wouldn't play much or care about being decent.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Why is that???

I love it when I'm playing AND scoring well. And I also have fun just getting out for a casual round with some friends, regardless of the score.

Because it is such a fickle game. I can shoot 79 and come back the next day and shoot 99.

Play it long enough and you either enjoy it or hate it. I've been playing neigh on 30 years and still enjoy it no matter how I play.

From my experience too many folks get caught up in trying to become scratch golfers without realizing how much time, effort and dedication it takes to reach that level.

I've found it much easier just to strive at being a bogey golfer.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not a lesson, but i have jack nicklaus' 'golf my way' on vhs (yes very old, prob on dvd or online now) and go back and watch it every once in a while. real good review of fundamentals.

you're starting out so in a different boat, but when i take a lesson every couple of years, i tell the instructor to just pick 1-2 things i'm doing especially wrong and fix those, vs a laundry list i cannot handle.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    davsco makes a great point. I improved my game a lot by just watching Youtube videos to get all the basics down, like how to line up, etc. I also got Tiger Woods's book, "How I Play Golf," which he wrote before his life and game fell apart. I mostly read his chapter on putting--lots of great tips. I then recorded my swing on my phone and then made some adjustments that way. That way when I went to my lesson, we didn't have to spend the first 1/2 hour lesson going over all that simple stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom