• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Graduated from the bury in '07 and spent my junior and senior years living in a house on S division street right behind the giant. ALL of my neighbors in every direction had their homes broken in to during those two years. That's across the street, both sides, and diagonal. The girls diagonally across the street had their home broken in to twice, once one of them was sleeping and woke up to a stranger in her room. I lived with 4 other guys and we had a big assed belgian malinois...our house didn't get f'd with. Something about a belgian malinois looking over a 6' fence at the locals kept them away(the storm cellar doors propped him up a bit near the driveway).

I know a LOT of people that were jumped/robber/otherwise stuck-up back in the neighborhoods behind the wawa...especially off of smith street. We had some interesting things, like the guy shooting the shotgun through the back window at mulligans(when it was still there), the guy get stabbed with the broken bottle at monkey barrel, and a variety of other local violence things. It was also pretty routine to have people get stuck-up on the train tracks while walking to and from the university from UP.

I'm relatively I avoided getting jumped on my way to a rugby party because I'm good with people. I saw a group of 6 or so black kids suddenly change the side of the street they were on and come to the side I was walking on. I stopped, went to them and made small talk then tossed them some beers from my backpack. We drank some and parted ways on good terms, I even got invited to a local party...which I had no intention in hell of going to. There were lots of reports of kids getting jumped along smith street.

Every day there seemed to be a new crime report coming out to us in our email system. One would be a naked guy beating his crank while peeping through downstairs windows at chester hall(That was a relatively funny one to be there for). Another common one was, "2 or 4 black males between 18-14 got out of a car and approached a student walking by themselves with a gun/knife. They took purse/phone/money, roughed up the student and drove off". Jenni was walking home one time and two local guys walking behind her split up and one increased their pace so that she now had one in front and one behind her. she stopped and checked the guy behind her and waited for him to pass and got on the phone. I still think her awareness kept her out of some trouble there. I was dating her then and may have had to hurt someone badly had things gone a different way.

Being a teaching major, I did lots of work with wicomico county schools at all levels....yeah....I'm fairly sure I've got a good clue of what the future looks like there....it aint good. At our s division home, I'd see teenagers pushing strollers down the street at 2 Am all the time. I worked at "beyond the limits", a high-ropes experiential learning center similar to genessee valley. Along with the normal groups we'd get from wicomico high/middle/elementary schools, sports teams, and the occasional corporation interested in team-building activities, we had special days set up for the adjudicated local youth. We'd get about 25 kids with extensive records and break them into groups of 4-5 with 2-3 facilitators/group. Those were interesting days.

My aunt lives in salisbury and has for a decades. When I was young, I remember going to the annual festival they have in downtown salisbury. Over the years it's changed. By the time I went to college, I decided it would be good for my wellbeing to just go ahead and skip the festivals. Many reports of stabbings and other random violence by locals was pretty good incentive to just have a party at home...which wasn't even that safe. One party, some kid got pissed that his rearview mirror got clipped out in front where he parked his car mostly in the street. He came back in and started yelling at our partygoers. I kindly decided to "have a conversation" with the kid to "persuade" him to stop showing aggression to our guests. Numbnuts lifted his shirt to show off a pistol-handle poking out of his shorts....that didn't go so well for him. One jazzy-jeff down the front steps later and the trash was taken out, party back on.

having been visiting a lot of different friends at a lot of different party colleges, I know pretty much most college towns are sh!tty. Almost every college I've ever been to is surrounded by bad neighborhoods...salisbury just seems to have been worse that most of the others.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    A lot of folks, including a lot of residents of The Shore, believe it is immune to the kind of crime problems everyone knows exists in urban Baltimore. It isn't immune. At. All. Heroin use has exploded here. Seaford DE has long been a distribution hub. Salisbury is bad that way. Easton has seen a rapid deterioration that way.

So I've been told. I am not LEO. But folks in the know have told me.

Home invasions never occurred in the past. Now I read about them every few months.

Yeah, we need to think about protection here too.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    The thing with Salisbury is that there's a few places you just don't go but outside of those places it's generally pretty good. It's all very quarantined so if you're not stupid and you don't live someplace stupid you should be fine.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    While I agree somethings need to change ... those stats are a little misleading. Everyone who's ever lived in Salisbury knows that it's not a city of 28,000 people. We are not a city defined by our city limits.

Our regional population is more relevant as everyone in the region comes here and then exits the city to go home. Most of the neighborhoods and housing areas are outside of city limits. The housing within city limits is all low to mid-low income at best. We have literally 2-3 nice areas within the city for living. The proportion of violent crimes would go significantly if our city limits weren't so skewed.

And this is just a guess, but i'd venture to say that most of the violent crime within the city is drug/gang related, but mostly going after other drug and gang people. That's just a guess though[I[/I]

I've lived here almost my entire life and rarely do I ever feel unsafe. I'm also a Real Estate agent in town, and I go to some unsavory places from time to time and generally it's still not that bad compared to some city streets i've walked in other cities.

I 've live here most of my like and I've never felt threatened but like almost everyplace I go there is always problems somewhere. It is just a sign about our society that everywhere is getting worse.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I remember stopping for a sub at about 3AM at the wawa by the hospital. I felt uncomfortable even while in uniform with my M&P 40.
    I love the Homeless woman who stands at the intersection by the railroad overpass and the hospital and fried chicken place. She parks her shopping cart there and reads from the bible for all the traffic to hear. saw her there every day while coming back from wor-wic.

BTW the goodwill store can't be beat, lots of great deals.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    The thing with Salisbury is that there's a few places you just don't go but outside of those places it's generally pretty good. It's all very quarantined so if you're not stupid and you don't live someplace stupid you should be fine.

That's what they say about Baltimore too.

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    I've lived in Salisbury for pretty much all of my life and I have to say it's definitely deteriorated in the 21 years that I've lived here. I remember hanging out with some guys on Spring Ave before high school when I was a rebellious chain smoking teenager and one day the guy we would smoke with before school didn't show up. We saw him a week later covered in bandages; he had his throat slashed and survived.

There are definitely nice neighborhoods in the city but there is also an ever increasing amount of rundown housing and a huge heroin problem. I can't say that I feel threatened very often living here but I also know which areas to stay away from unless I'm with a decent group of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom