• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Yeah I found out the cold and getting sick later way last year about lack of deer movement during windy days. I had been invited to hunt a large farmland that normally has a gazillion deer around, and half of late muzzleloader was wasted on deep snow, and I got 1 day in later and it was real cold and windy and saw nothing but squirrels ( lots of them too) and someone's pet kitty. I ended up getting a terrible cold not long after and missed the 2 day late shotgun season.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Didn't hunt today. We got a large surge of visiting grandkids at a neighbors place and I am always worried they will end up walking the woods and on my property. It's a long walk, but they did it a few years back. Not that I'd take a shot at anything far off enough to be mistaken, but I worry about overshot.

I did see a few deer in the driveway and hit the gas. I was in my pickup and it has a ton of dings already. ;)

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Heard some running along the ridge when I was in my stand about 6AM, not light up in the woods yet. Then saw a doe about 9:30, but she had been running a ways (looked like she had run into other hunters), and meat would have been full of lactic acid, so let her pass. Didn't see anything the rest of the day; windy and COLD up in the tree.

Didn't hear many shots, the wind and full moon conspired against us! Oh well, look forward to next weekend.

davelenard

Mar 4, 2009
    didn't even see a tree rat. almost 10 and thought, guess I'll head down in a few and spend some time with the wife. Then at 10 on the dot, a little 6 pointer walked 30 or so yards from me. guess I should have brought the 870 but got to blast my first MD Deer with my 7mm Rem Mag. :) too bad I was a mile from the car and no one to help me drag him out, I used to laugh at the guys with deer carts, not anymore. :)

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I spent most of the day getting leave's up. after pounding ducks and geese for the last 3 days. I needed a break, i did see several deer in the fields when i was dumping leave's. but no shot's taken since no one else hunts back there. If i get done early tomorrow I'll grab my shotgun and go after them.

davelenard

Mar 4, 2009
    This is my rifle this is my gun.

I hear ya bud. One thing I have learned from hunting the farm for 35 years is, if it don't happen by 9:30am It's not gonna happen. I usually roll out around 9:30-10 and I'm back on stand at 2:30 for dinner time feeding. Good luck however and report back regardless of what happens.

So Saturday I'm up in my climber well before sunrise. at 8am three doe's walk thru brush 100+ yards away, no shot with my open sighted muzzeloader. by 9:30 I'm getting chilled and thinking about this "quote", plus my 11 month old son is sick, and I know I'm gonna hear how crappy the wife's morning has been. So at 10am I start down the tree.

Get down and need to take a leak, So I lean my rifle against a tree and walk 10 feet to another tree and pull out my gun :innocent0:. Sure enough, the three doe come up a draw 20-30 yards away and just stare at this idiot with his gun in hand that doesn't have the range to reach them....

:banghead:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    So Saturday I'm up in my climber well before sunrise. at 8am three doe's walk thru brush 100+ yards away, no shot with my open sighted muzzeloader. by 9:30 I'm getting chilled and thinking about this "quote", plus my 11 month old son is sick, and I know I'm gonna hear how crappy the wife's morning has been. So at 10am I start down the tree.

Get down and need to take a leak, So I lean my rifle against a tree and walk 10 feet to another tree and pull out my gun :innocent0:. Sure enough, the three doe come up a draw 20-30 yards away and just stare at this idiot with his gun in hand that doesn't have the range to reach them....

:banghead:

Yes. Deer sometimes have a way of appearing at the right place, at the wrong time....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom