• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    I am looking to get a good self defense flashlight. I do not need one that I can use as a weapon, rather, I am looking for one that has the following characteristics:

1. Very bright
    2. Compact in size
    3. Can be used in one hand while holding a pistol in the other
    4. Durable

I have no plans to mount it on any of my firearms. I just want something I can keep in the dresser drawer at night next to my SD firearm and sometimes keep it with me when I go on a trip, hunting, etc...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Phil

leekl03

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Mary's County
    have you considered at looking at sure fire flash lights? i have 2 of them. one in my truck and one next to my sd fire arm. they're great. i love them. very compact and very bright.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Phil,

Remember the CZ-52.
    The flash that comes from the HOT surplus ammo should brighten things up! :D

Anthony C

Nov 13, 2008
    Bel Air
    I have a surefire E1L with a rechargeable battery on my side table. Its a great little light. But there are alot of "knock offs" out there now that are probably even better. I haven't looked into lights in a while but I know Fenix's are popular. http://www.fenixlight.com that tk12 looks pretty sweet.

Check out www.candlepowerforums.com for more info and reviews

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    coleman max at walmart

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=198341&page=2
    0007650122852_500X500.jpg
    i use it for hd..bright light and built pretty durable for cheap

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    This looks good! What candlelight power or lumens is considered really bright?

Phil
    Its says the Streamlight Scorpion is 78 lumens or just shy of 8000 candle power. It also twists from spot to flood like the old maglights.
    Yeah, i sound like a salesman for them but its a great light.
    The 78 Lumens is plenty, its BLINDING.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    LED's from Surefire & Streamlight

Absolutely go with a quality LED. They cost a bit more, but the Xenon lamps burn out too quickly.

I have a Surefire 6P and a Streamlight Scorpion - like both for different reasons. The 6P is my favorite of the two - added an OEM lanyard - awesome light. Puts out about 80 lumens for 11 - 12 hours, LED's last practically for ever! Lithium CR123 batteries have an incredible shelf life. Lowe's carries the Surefire brand batts, a pair goes for $5. Lowe's also carries the Surefire 6P and G2 (a lower cost nylon / polymer model).

Not cheap, but worth every penny.

BTW - Fobus makes a really nice combo paddle that hold (1) spare pistol mag. and a flashlight.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Surefire G2 LED is cheaper than most and very bright. The LED keeps the batts lasting a good while longer than the incandescent bulbs. Ive got one on my M4 and its awesome!

-Zach

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    i have a fenix tk-10 next to my bed, it's very light, and brighter then the surefire's, I carry one in my hunting pack, and use it in all type of weather without a problem, and has a decent battery life. Mine has 2 brightness settings one is 60 lumen's and the other is 225 lumen's. and for the price can't be beat. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom