• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The only trouble I ever had with navigating in cities or country was after taking the subway in DC when I came back up from traveling underground I would sometimes head in the wrong direction but in DC if you go a block, and know how DC is laid out, you know if your direction is wrong. As soon as I re-calibrated my internal compass I was fine.

Yes. I love the line in the movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still" : "He's traveling west on 15th." If you know DC, you know he's just crossing the street somewhere.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    If I get lost, I just break out my trusty sextant.
    AT night? Oh, I get it, you use a flashlight:)

[On edit - can you believe part of Lewis and Clark's responsibilities was to
    take Lat/Long at the important intersections of their journey?
    Like at the Three Forks of the Missouri - a huge unbelievable set of waterfalls
    (underwater now because of a damn Dam.) ]

ThePirate

May 26, 2010
    Ringgold area
    Topo Maps

Who has, values, wants, needs or uses paper maps?

What scale?

How many?

Why?

The age of the atlas is far from over.

What about land nav or orienteering?

How about celestial constellations? I’m a fan of Orion...right now in the Western morning sky. Maybe Big Dipper and the North Star?

Anybody collecting hiking maps? Those trails just might save some steps or your life...

Navigation is always an important skill. Your phone and or vehicle nav app might not always be there.

Anybody subscribe to following railroads and or rivers? Why would you do that?

Lots of folks couldn’t find their own arse with both hands and a trained team of sherpas. Some skills never lose their value.

Besides, we need healthy and constructive distractions this year...

It doesn't hurt to have a set of topo maps on hand. There is a lot of information on them that are not on regular maps.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    I prefer to use a paper or online map to GPS, to often I have had GPS want to take me down a one way street, the wrong way or a longer route, than a shorter route that I know exists.

YES I took hubby to Philly for a meeting gps had us in a black neighborhood I was very concerned now Im leery of gps due to that! hubby knew general direction but,,,,,,,, later we found out we were 12 miles from destination :(

ThePirate

May 26, 2010
    Ringgold area
    What’s the best scale or scales?

While they’re offered online, what’s the best way to get printed versions in hand if you dint have a large scale printer at hand...?

AAA used to have paper maps. Try your local office. Amazon sells paper maps.

While you are on Amazon check out the DeLorme Topographical maps.

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    Interesting. surprised this many people still use paper maps. I haven't used one in about 20 years or so. The closest thing to that was using mapquest some long time ago. I would print out those directions. I only would use a map to go from A to B via car or motorcycle, so dedicated GPS unit or cellphone has been working fine

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've never had issues reading maps, to the point that most of the time I don't use GPS - I'll look up the address, see where it is on the map, then drive there from memory.

By contrast, my wife can't reliably tell you what general direction she's facing.

There last time I drove to Nebraska, I didn't use GPS - I plotted the course on the map before we left, then I remembered the roads I needed and where I needed too change.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What’s the best scale or scales?

It really depends on what you are using them for. If it's hiking, hunting, orienteering, then you are probably going to want the highest resolution they offer. If it is something where you are driving, probably less.

While they’re offered online, what’s the best way to get printed versions in hand if you dint have a large scale printer at hand...?

I've used My Topo online. https://www.mytopo.com/index.cfm

You can create a custom map and have it printed in the size/scale you want. You can have it laminated which makes it durable but then you can't fold it, only roll it. They have free lamination every so often if you get on their email list.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The visitors bureau of most states will mail you a free road map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom