• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N00bSh00ter

Feb 6, 2014
    MoCo
    The waiting period is over, so I went down to Engage on Saturday and picked up our first gun, the Glock 19 Gen4! Just in time, too; we had a couple of security scares at home last week (we live in a relatively good and quiet neighborhood). God forbid anything bad happen at home, but if someone tries to commit any crime against us, we'll thankfully now have a means to defend ourselves.

Next up is a good security system as another redundancy in our home defense plan. Anyone have any good recommendations for providers in MoCo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I wish you would have never mentioned what type of pistol you bought. Instead of talk about security companies and providers the chat will ebb to why you should have purchased a .45 1911 for home defense, or some other pistol or an AR. :)

laissez les bon posts roullez.....

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Glock 19 is a great choice.

My own experience in law enforcement always gave me an impression that the local alarm companies provided better service and systems than the "alphabet" companies. Others may have different opinions though. My systems have always been home based and worked for a dog's wages. :)

Attachments

• snow dec 2013.jpg
      snow dec 2013.jpg
      94.2 KB · Views: 797

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If you are really a noobie. Take a class in the proper use in a defensive mode. I.e. protection inside the home NRA class.

Security.. there are plenty choices.. from dyi what not to professional install with monitoring

You can search and you'll see a few threads on it.

:)

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    If you want to install your own wireless security system and not have to deal with service contracts, see: http://simplisafe.com/

It is a few hundred for the components and like $26/month for monitoring.

It has a battery backup and cell phone dialing

You may need to get a county alarm permit

You may also wish to secure your firearms in a safe when not home.

gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    I second simplisafe.com. I have two of their systems at work, and they work great. Easy to install and very cost effective. $25 a month gets you their upper tier monitoring. This allows use of the mobile app where you can check and adjust everything from your phone.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Glock 19 is a great choice.

My own experience in law enforcement always gave me an impression that the local alarm companies provided better service and systems than the "alphabet" companies. Others may have different opinions though. My systems have always been home based and worked for a dog's wages. :)

Good looking pooch. Definitely has the "Oh, you want to trespass on my yard, do you?" look about him. I would think twice.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I sold ADT security systems when I first left the Marines. What we were taught is that the best defense for your home happens while it is being cased. A security system sign on the front lawn is valuable in that respect. Regarding local/remote monitoring, our home security system monitoring has been sold a number of times over the last 10 years and the few times when it has gone off accidentally we were always satisfied with the response.

We also have dogs and when anyone asks: Yes, they bite. The little dogs is yappy and high strung so she wakes up at any bump in the night. The big one then gets up to go investigate and rattles the windows when he goes off. Sometimes he just grumbles for the little one to STFU if its just a deer in the yard. He doesn't like humans inside the perimeter though.

My .02.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I do not know a lot about security systems, but one thing you can do with a handgun is use a quick-access handgun vault to secure the firearm. The brute strength of these products are minimal...but their size allows them to be hidden in areas that one isn't likely going to find in the time a criminal is inside. IIRC they say something short like 6-8 minutes is the average time a robber spends in an empty home. A good mini vault like the Fort Knox Pistol Box secured in an area that is extremely hard to find without tearing the house apart can be a real benefit.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A dog is not a security system.

It is an investment in 10-14 years of feeding, caring for and cleaning up after. When the dog is sick or injured you are going to have to have them treated.

Dogs will naturally defend their homes and maybe bark at strangers but some will greet strangers like an old friend and are just as likely to bark at squirrel in the yard.

There was a "reality" show on TV a few years back where an ex-burglar would test people's home security by breaking into their homes during the day. In one home that had a German Shepard-type dog he dropped a couple of chunks of meat ahead of him before he dropped through a window. The dog was his best friend after that and happily followed him around wagging it's tail as he looted.

If you are a dog person and want a dog, get a dog. If you want a security system, get a security system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom