• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    implying accountability in government :lol2::lol2::lol2:

There will be a scapegoat/fallguy or two but not much else.

Even a lawsuit is not going to unwind this mess. Too much information, too many agencies, too many people with full access now.
    The cat is out of the bag.
    Despite rock solid evidence the people in charge still walk away with freedom and pensions intact, ala Dixon.

The best we can hope is further points to take down the HQL and maybe having the state pay for credit monitoring for those affected.

Yeah, I might be a bit of an optimist on that one. The people responsible will probably be promoted

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Having never bought a handgun before, I am debating whether I should wait to ensure that I would be impacted by the HQL or not...

Have been writing emails several times a day. Been hearing back from Jacobs (as part of her mail list), Smigiel, and sometimes one of the 9A delegates. Nothing but silence from everyone else.

S1owJam

Bad Man Stopper Man
    Jan 10, 2013
    Abingdon, MD
    Just received another e-mail from Delegate Vitale.

Tyler,

I have drafted communication demanding that the State create a list of all persons who have had access to the records and that the state be willing to run a background check to confirm a clean background. Anything less is unacceptable.

I will keep you posted.

Cathy Vitale

Even though it's done retroactively, it would be nice to know who had access to our information.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Quite true for anyplace that has high level security, but performing all the background checks and polygraphs and the host of other checks that are done does a fairly good job of minimizing that risk, but it will always be there. I for one needed to wait 116 days to be allowed to take my Glock home and each and every day I was waiting I had full access to a Nuclear Power Plant. I can work there for the past 23 years but needed 4 months to get the O.K. for a pistol??????

Why do you want a pistol? You'll poke your eye out with that thing, kid.

(sarcasm)

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    What if, rather than waiting to flood them with HQL apps come 9/15 (or so), folks start submitting PIA requests to find out:

who has touched/viewed the apps
    have they been properly screened,
    and are they properly attached to MSP (per existing law/regs)

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    What if, rather than waiting to flood them with HQL apps come 9/15 (or so), folks start submitting PIA requests to find out:

who has touched/viewed the apps
    have they been properly screened,
    and are they properly attached to MSP (per existing law/regs)

Sounds like a plan, currently I have the following two questions:

Whom do we send the questions to?

What law/regs do we quote?

Mr H

Sounds like a plan, currently I have the following two questions:

Whom do we send the questions to?

What law/regs do we quote?

Those are my questions as well, never having done a PIA request.

I know there are several here who have done them, and can verify the details.

Even if it's not something subject to PIA, they at least will have to sort through them, and hopefully catch a clue.

EDIT: Per Nancy Jacobs' letter today, I think we're looking at the following...
    I cite again COMAR 29.03.01.06 which expressly states, "The State Police shall review the application for accuracy, omissions, or discrepancies before investigating the applicant".

I'd be interested in knowing if PIA allows us to ask if a violation has been made? If so, then this as well (again, from Jacobs' letter, emphasis mine)...

There is also another regulation in COMAR 29.03.01.03, Subsection A, (8) it states, "In order to verify the accuracy of the applicant's representations, the applicant's written authorization to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, or any other similar agency or department of another state, to disclose to the Department of State Police information as to whether the applicant:" This section is talking about the mental health component of the application in order to verify the applicant's truthfulness in completing the application. The signature of the applicant only gives authorization for state agencies to disclose information to the MD State Police. It does not allow the State Police to disclose information to OTHER agencies, which is exactly what they are doing.

Here, send your concerns

Here is the email address for the MSP Captain in charge of the licensing division, send her your concerns. I won't post anything else because last time I was berated and made to look like a fool...I have more information about this than the story tells but i'm not up to be hounded again..If you want answers ask her for yourselves.

Dalaine M Brady -State Police- <dalaine.brady@maryland.gov>

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Shocked, I tell you, just shocked - WTOP has removed the article from the front page, the overall page for Maryland News, and made sure to have enough news in the "Maryland News Stream" to keep the article off of the first page of scrolled links (IOW - no one will find it unless they go looking specifically for it). I also did not hear anything from them while listening for about 1.5 hours this afternoon in the car.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Shocked, I tell you, just shocked - WTOP has removed the article from the front page, the overall page for Maryland News, and made sure to have enough news in the "Maryland News Stream" to keep the article off of the first page of scrolled links (IOW - no one will find it unless they go looking specifically for it). I also did not hear anything from them while listening for about 1.5 hours this afternoon in the car.

This story is still on the front page of WBFF FoxBaltimore, of course it doesn't state anything about the privacy issues. But still on front page

Following link to WBFF at bottom of page Regional AP News
    http://foxbaltimore.com/

Following is link to article:
    http://foxbaltimore.com/template/inews_wire/wires.regional.md/27f71ef1-www.foxbaltimore.com.shtml#.Uizf8z_hftA
    Officials say data entry personnel from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Department of Transportation, Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, Department of Human Resources, and the Department of Juvenile Services are now helping. Each agency has between 25 and 40 people inputting application information.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    MSI just sent out an E-mail with an information update on the situation. Most of this was probably covered in this thread but, you can see it all in one place.

MSI is going to be even busier with Oct. 1 coming and we can always use help. Please think of volunteering, joining or donating if you can.

https://marylandshallissue.com/

Mr H

House Minority Leader chimes in...

From Nic Kipke...

Dear concerned citizen,

I too received this information from the AGC email alert and am disturbed by it as well.

I am working closely with Associated Gun Clubs and other pro-Second Amendment organizations to investigate this very serious issue. This type of information sharing among state agencies violates Maryland regulations.

Unfortunately, the O'Malley/Brown Administration is anti-Second Amendment and therefore will not be helpful. This may be yet another issue that requires legal action.

Thank you for your email regarding 77R forms being distributed to agencies beyond the Maryland State Police.

Sincerely,

Nic Kipke
    State Delegate

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom