• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Second time in two weeks, I spent my Sunday at Cresaps. Last week was my first time there and it was packed, but they did a good job of giving everyone a chance to shoot. Today I got there at 950, ten minutes before they opened and once the gate opened promptly at 10, walked onto the rifle range and spent close to 4 hours sighting in and shooting my AR. Walked off the rifle range and after a 10 minute wait walked onto their pistol range and exercised my 1911 with a hundred rounds or so.
    The staff was very friendly and answered any questions I had. They had their eyes out for everyone's safety and kept everyone in line with regards to the range rules.
    Great place and great staff.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    4 hours to zero it?

Sad isn't it?:sad20:
    Just kidding, although a signifigant amount of time and ammo was spent zeroing in at 50yds firing three round groups and scratching my head.

I tried zeroing in last week at their one 25yd station, but it dragged on and they politely asked me to wrap it up so other folks could use it. At this point I was only adjusting the back sight.(duh!) :o Found out how to raise and lower the front sight before I went back yesterday.

My rifle shooting experience up to now has been shooting open sight .22 caliber rifles at cans and maybe a groundhog or two when I was a kid.

The KAC BUIS on the gun really threw me for a loop. Yesterday I finally got it close to POA/POI vertically at 50yds, but I had to dramatically raise the front sight? Maybe the original owner never used? I don't know anyone who's proficient with an AR at this point, so I'm kinda learning as I go.

Now that I can consistantly hit the target at 50yds, I'm guessing zeroeing in at 25yds might go a little smoother the next time, without a line forming behind me at the sighting in station.;)

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I never realized there was an official zeroing station there. Since I don't have a boresighter(I enjoy flinging lead too much), I always just walk in my careful singles at 50yd paper then switch to 100yds to fine tune. The most difficult gun I've sighted the irons on was my Romy AK because the front sight had to be slid to the right with the c-clamp-like sight tool. I found myself having to move it back and forth left and right until I got it correct because it was difficult to gauge how much POI would be affected by x-number of turns of the sight tool's screw handle. Once I got it grouping well at 50yds, I called it a day because I was going to have to drop the rear sight down to accommodate the 3x9x40 scope's bell I'd added by way of the side rail. My next visit to Cresap will be to sight in that scope and the one the new muzzleloader I just picked up.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I never realized there was an official zeroing station there. QUOTE]

Yep it's the first station as you step onto the rifle range, if the rifle range is busy, it'll be the only one noticebly open most of the time. So if someone was getting ready for hunting, etc. they can stop by, used the sight in station for 5 minutes and leave versus you're there to target shoot the afternoon away.:thumbsup:

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Just dont accidently step out of line at Cresap or ........:bullhorn:
    True, but better to bruise 100 tender egos than tolerate silently 1 careless handler. I have seen two people ejected there and the ROs handled both firmly and consistently and in a respectful enough manner. The most recent time was when a young buck next to me at the pistol line swept those adjacent to him with his barrel. Had this fellow not raised his voice in protest of his dismissal, I don't think anyone would have even realized it happened. The RO was frankly a lot more reserved and polite about it than I would have been. Firearms safety is just too critical an issue to individuals and range operators alike to be compromised in deference to newbie hurt feelings. A few years back, one of my young daughters weeped pitifully while my wife and I lectured her sternly after she'd unlocked the front door and gone for a walk by herself at night. You know what? She got over it and hasn't taken that foolish decision since.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    True, but better to bruise 100 tender egos than tolerate silently 1 careless handler. I have seen two people ejected there and the ROs handled both firmly and consistently and in a respectful enough manner. The most recent time was when a young buck next to me at the pistol line swept those adjacent to him with his barrel. Had this fellow not raised his voice in protest of his dismissal, I don't think anyone would have even realized it happened. The RO was frankly a lot more reserved and polite about it than I would have been. Firearms safety is just too critical an issue to individuals and range operators alike to be compromised in deference to newbie hurt feelings. A few years back, one of my young daughters weeped pitifully while my wife and I lectured her sternly after she'd unlocked the front door and gone for a walk by herself at night. You know what? She got over it and hasn't taken that foolish decision since.

Well said sir, well said:thumbsup:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ive personally never had an issue, or been yelled at - at Cresap, but Ive seen them go off many times. Some stuff was just petty, that they were going off for. I know they have liabilities, and lots to look after - just sometimes, I think they push it a little far.

I havent shot at Cresap since leaving Central MD, some of the RO's there were pretty nice people - used to chew the fat with a couple of em.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Ive personally never had an issue, or been yelled at - at Cresap, but Ive seen them go off many times. Some stuff was just petty, that they were going off for. I know they have liabilities, and lots to look after - just sometimes, I think they push it a little far.

I havent shot at Cresap since leaving Central MD, some of the RO's there were pretty nice people - used to chew the fat with a couple of em.

I go there pretty much more than any other range and I've never witnessed the ROs do anything out of line or nit-pickingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom