• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I actually love that area of WV. Been down around Lee and Logan counties and the people are great. The nitro area is also a place I've spent time and had very good experience.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I actually love that area of WV. Been down around Lee and Logan counties and the people are great. The nitro area is also a place I've spent time and had very good experience.
    My mom taught at Nitro High School for years. I spent a lot of time there during the end of the school year as she did her end-of-year work before summer camps started up. I grew up just up river in Charleston.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My mom taught at Nitro High School for years. I spent a lot of time there during the end of the school year as she did her end-of-year work before summer camps started up. I grew up just up river in Charleston.
    That's cool.

Those areas have some economic problems but are ripe for manufacturing.

The Logan County area has some impressive archery whitetail trophy opportunities. I don't care about horns but a couple.guys I know who do have stuck some giants in that area.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That's cool.

Those areas have some economic problems but are ripe for manufacturing.

The Logan County area has some impressive archery whitetail trophy opportunities. I don't care about horns but a couple.guys I know who do have stuck some giants in that area.
    Yeah, as the population recedes in the southern counties, not only are there fewer folks to hunt the whitetail there, there's more and more land for them to browse, so you get a deer population increase coupled with abundant food sources and you get more trophy bucks and fat does.

I honestly believe that someone with the know-how could set up shop as a high-end outfitter down there. Buy up a bunch of old strip-mine land, plant it with cover for pheasant, chukar, and quail for the upland guys, and then offer guided hunts on public or private land for whitetail. Build a nice lodge, get one of the WV-born chefs who are ready to exit the restaurant world to handle some high-end Appalachian cooking, and dig a couple of trout-stocking ponds for the anglers (get some riverfront property with fishermen's cabins as well, clearly and stock the stream, it's allowed) and you'd have things pretty well covered. Work fall, winter, and spring, and then take the summers off, or switch over to ATV adventures.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yeah, as the population recedes in the southern counties, not only are there fewer folks to hunt the whitetail there, there's more and more land for them to browse, so you get a deer population increase coupled with abundant food sources and you get more trophy bucks and fat does.

I honestly believe that someone with the know-how could set up shop as a high-end outfitter down there. Buy up a bunch of old strip-mine land, plant it with cover for pheasant, chukar, and quail for the upland guys, and then offer guided hunts on public or private land for whitetail. Build a nice lodge, get one of the WV-born chefs who are ready to exit the restaurant world to handle some high-end Appalachian cooking, and dig a couple of trout-stocking ponds for the anglers (get some riverfront property with fishermen's cabins as well, clearly and stock the stream, it's allowed) and you'd have things pretty well covered. Work fall, winter, and spring, and then take the summers off, or switch over to ATV adventures.
    This is exactly the sort of thing that southern WV can do well. An east coast version of the western states hunting and fishing experience.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    I’ve been watching Pete for like 2-3 yrs now. His videos are always good, I think he needs a production team so he doesn’t always need to be holding the camera. Other than that I’d recommend yall take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom