• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youfamissim

Mar 11, 2010
    I hope today you and your families are well and thriving. I am at my wits end with the State of MD. The restrictions on the legal sale of handguns seem endless. I hope someone here can advise on what to do to complete a LEGAL sale that contains (only in MD) friction points.

I want to purchase a firearm from a custom MFG. He purchases frames and slides parts from Caspian and modifies them - improves them - for sale. He is licensed to so do. The weapon is a 1911 clone. The parts he buys are legal. They are modified to include his LOGO - otherwise the weapon is off the shelf but the tolerances and accuracy and finishes are improved. Every component of the weapon is legal to purchase in MD.

My FFL of choice sez no way - Because the Logo is not the same as the original MFG.

HELP! Is there any legal way to make this happen?

youfamissim

Mar 11, 2010
    Thank you all. The 1911 "assembler" is Gulgalta Arms of Vermont. The owner is licensed by the ATF to purchase custom components from Caspian. Caspian stamps their products with the Gulgalta logo and serial numbers. Gulgalta then sells their products - that contain customized Caspian parts as Gulgalta. The only difference between the two products are accuracy, fit, and finish and the LOGO /serial numbers.

Gulgalta is NOT on MD approved vendor list. Ergo the FFLs will not broker the transaction.

What will it take to make this purchase happen?

youfamissim

Mar 11, 2010
    I have an insider at MD state police who's also looking into this.

If you haven't seen Gulgalta and admire excellent 1911 work, Visit www.gulgaltaarms.com. Chris is a local policeman as his day job. He is fair and even handed in his dealings. Once this sale went south he forfeited the money back to me. If I can't get this deal brokered, he has agreed to use Caspian parts and build the weapon to my specs. In this day and age, I'm increasingly drawn to people who share my values of fairness and who are grounded in their respect for marriage and family.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    well you have a few options i guess.

first is to get gulgalta added to the MD handgun roster...good luck with that.

another option is to perhaps buy what you need direct from caspian first, and then ship them to gulgalta for him to work on, or maybe he can get caspian to send him some of their stock parts with their own markings.

if you already bought the gun and its already at the dealer then there's not much choice, if its not on the list its a no go.

if thats the case, and you cant get a refund, then maybe you can have it sent to a friend/ family out of state for them to keep it for you for the time being till you can figure something out.

EDIT: you posted just before me lol, looks like you got it worked out ok, glad to hear hes willing ot work with you.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Gulgalta is NOT on MD approved vendor list. Ergo the FFLs will not broker the transaction.

What will it take to make this purchase happen?

The only way to get the gun in state is to get the gun on the approved list. Luke Volkmann went through the steps and his frames are on the list now. His frames are either Caspian or Remsport.

Would like to see JeepDriver or Clandestine chime in on this

Neither can say much more, since the law is clear.

Any person can apply to get a gun approved. the name of the lady to contact is on this site. (you can check all of my posts, I have posted her name and info at least three times in the last 12 months.)

Getting a gun approved is free, but you have to supply a gun and fill some forms out. It might take three + months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom