• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Please, that would be the least of your worries. Just hope they don't have a license plate scanner there. You wouldn't have to "wait" long in line for them to know everything about the vehicle and the vehicle's driver.

New License Plate Scanners Will Monitor Maryland Drivers
    Governor O'Malley has approved the purchase of 105 new Automated License Plate Recognition (ALPR) systems. These devices are used by state police to scan the tag number of every passing vehicle and search a database of license plate numbers for those with some outstanding violation, warrant, or red flag. The O'Malley administration has stated that the purpose of the systems is to find stolen vehicles, wanted criminals, or vehicles flagged for 'amber alerts' etc. However the "Security Integration Strategy" document released by the state lists one of the goals of the LPR program as "Identify vehicles linked to drivers with expired licenses, expired tags, or unpaid fines." The document also note that "In a single day, LPRs in use by the Maryland Transportation Authority Police were responsible for the recovery of almost $50,000 in scofflaw fees for toll tag violations."

The data collected from these scanners will be stored in a central database. Each device is capable of scanning and storing thousands of license plates per day along with the time and location it was recorded.

http://www.mddriversalliance.org/2010/08/new-license-plate-scannersto-monitor.html

Believe the program was put in place in 2010. Don't know if Howard County has it in place yet though.

You say "Please" and then proceed to prove my point?
    Thank you. :cool:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You say "Please" and then proceed to prove my point?
    Thank you. :cool:

Yeah, trying to show you that it is much worse than them just taking down your tag number. You could possibly get arrested for a myriad of things by going there. If they are not doing the license plate scan while you are turning the guns in, then they will probably do it as you are coming or going.

Yep, much worse than them just writing down your tag number.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    There's no mention of amnesty for turning in a stolen or otherwise illegal firearm right?
    It would be irresponsible of them to recover an illegal gun, knowing who turned it in (via license plate) and NOT do something about it.

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    they got those things here in the city, they mostly ticket people for expired tags and things like that. if you got more than 3 outstanding parking tickets then you get the boot. I make sure to keep a careful eye on my car (my tag sticker has been stolen before) since I dont drive that much, I ride my bike to work each day.

my sticker fix was to hack it up with a blade, so its harder to peel off...

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Yeah, trying to show you that it is much worse than them just taking down your tag number. You could possibly get arrested for a myriad of things by going there. If they are not doing the license plate scan while you are turning the guns in, then they will probably do it as you are coming or going.

Yep, much worse than them just writing down your tag number.

Funny thing is... I never said anything about them "just writing down your tag number". The inference was that your tag was there for them to check while you waited for the money. I am intimately aware of the investigative resources available. So what was your point?

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I'm turning in six guns and using the money to get a Glock 30. This is the one I'm laughing hardest about: :lol2:

There is a limit of three (which if they really believed their own BS there would be no limit, so the entire gang could turn in their guns.)

I'm thinking about spray-painting mine pink just so it looks funny in their pictures.

Edit -- or drawing a massive penis on it, lmao!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    There is a limit of three (which if they really believed their own BS there would be no limit, so the entire gang could turn in their guns.)

I'm thinking about spray-painting mine pink just so it looks funny in their pictures.

Edit -- or drawing a massive penis on it, lmao!

Haha, true dat. Hopefully my loving spouse will help me out, or I will just make 2 trips. I wonder if they pay cash or check?

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    yeah, there's one in Font Hill. i quess he gets to take it home every night. looks like 4 cameras mounted in each of the 4 corners of the trunk lid. at night you can see the dim red glow coming from the IR illuminators. so he leaves it on at night. not every night, but often.

goalie098

Trigger Monkey
    Oct 18, 2010
    Finksburg, MD
    Even if I had junk guns to turn in I wouldn't. Just pads their numbers to call it a success (and they will). $100 buck at enough for my 2A rights.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Even if I had junk guns to turn in I wouldn't. Just pads their numbers to call it a success (and they will). $100 buck at enough for my 2A rights.

2A is a red herring in this case. I wouldn't take a million dollars for my 2A rights but that's what is going on here. They're not taking away anyone's right to a firearm, they are paying money for junk guns that, at least in my case, I will use to purchase a better gun. Is the program an absurd waste of money? Yes. But I'll take their money.

I heard yesterday that veterans who receive PTSD benefits are not allowed to own a firearm. THAT is taking away 2A rights.

goalie098

Trigger Monkey
    Oct 18, 2010
    Finksburg, MD
    2A is a red herring in this case. I wouldn't take a million dollars for my 2A rights but that's what is going on here. They're not taking away anyone's right to a firearm, they are paying money for junk guns that, at least in my case, I will use to purchase a better gun. Is the program an absurd waste of money? Yes. But I'll take their money.

I heard yesterday that veterans who receive PTSD benefits are not allowed to own a firearm. THAT is taking away 2A rights.

No, I agree with you. What I was trying to say (not very well) was I don't want them to have anything they can use to spin public support for an anti gun agenda. I'm just tired of their political rhetoric. If I really thought they were sincere about getting guns away from criminals I'd say cool but they are just doing this to spin the truth.

I am all in on buying better guns tho! :)

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    No, I agree with you. What I was trying to say (not very well) was I don't want them to have anything they can use to spin public support for an anti gun agenda. I'm just tired of their political rhetoric. If I really thought they were sincere about getting guns away from criminals I'd say cool but they are just doing this to spin the truth.

I am all in on buying better guns tho! :)

:thumbsup: Someone earlier had the idea to paint the guns he turns in link, to make a mockery of their photo op. That's brilliant.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Anyone going shopping tomorrow? Don't need a FFL for that Anschutz or Browning double barrel.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    From the HoCO Police Facebook page:
    Howard County Police Department Brook Hubbard Our goal is to offer people an opportunity to get unwanted guns out of their homes, if they so choose. If it is determined a gun was used in a crime, we will use investigative resources to pursue information about that case. Whatever the result, that particular gun cannot be used in a future crime.
    Ronald Searle For Howard County Police Department: will you be running ballistics on guns that aren't stolen? I'm not thrilled about the risk of a false-positive ballistics match (one crime-lab audit recently found a 10% ballistics mis-identification rate, so it's a non-trivial concern).
    15 hours ago · Edited
    Brian Hughes Ronald, in Maryland selling a handgun is not as easy as passing it on to a random stranger. You must go through the state police either directly or through a properly licensed dealer. The paperwork is extensive and currently the process is taking about a month. Note: as long as it doesn't eventually lead to confiscation, I have no problems with the state's background check which is augmented by a federal instant check process. IMHO, no one who plans to use such a weapon illegally would be willing to go through the mandated requirements. Whatever it is you are planning to turn in can likely be sold on consignment at a local gunstore and you might be surprised at how much it could be worth. The current demand is outpacing the supply.
    7 hours ago · Edited
    Howard County Police Department Ronald Searle, we will be test firing handguns. We will not test long guns, as there is no national database for comparison.

So they aren't getting ID from anyone but they ARE test firing handguns, presumably for a ballistics match against guns previously used in crimes.

investigative resources = license plate scanner

This might end up like one of those police stings where they invite a bunch of people with outstanding warrants to a party and then lock the doors and arrest them all. :lol2:

Mar 6, 2013
    Bogota, Columbia
    I am a citizen in good standing. My tags are up to date, emissions good and all citations paid. I have two beat up guns that have been sitting in my grandfather's closet for 50 years with the net worth of about $75 combined (I've shopped them). Yes, I have issues with big brother and its never ending 24 hour surveillance, but the tooth fairy is visiting Saturday with stacks of cash and a hankering for POS guns. I ain't scared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom