• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Don't want to pester, but has anyone seen what kind of locks they're giving out?

I have a purchase or two planned and if HoCo wants to save me from spending my own money on the lock, I'm glad to let them.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Smells like a combination sting operation and political statement. I agree with the principle and was gonna take a beater there to sell but I'll wait for the next one. After the "success" of this one, there will be more.

Thanks for the live coverage!

And since you're close to Arundel Mills, have $ in your pocket and Bass Pro has ammo... What a better way to reinvest in the economy.

Bass Pro? Lol I'm on my way to Shooters Discount! My wife turned in another three for me in a separate car!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Lock:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 253

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Bass Pro? Lol I'm on my way to Shooters Discount! My wife turned in another three for me in a separate car!

Write a letter to the HoCo Times thanking them for the gun buyback program and let them know you were able to purchase an AR 15 with the money they paid you. :lol2:

(...I can't bear to give up my old Montgomery Wards shotguns; too many memories.)

Mar 6, 2013
    Bogota, Columbia
    Sampling of the last cars to get service and leave.
    12:38, 12:41, 12:42, 12:42, 12:43, 12:44, 12:44, 12:45, 12:47, 12:48, 12:48, 12:48, 12:53, 12:53, 12:53

So like 4 or 5 cars every 4 or 5 minutes unofficially

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Receipt info:

So, they do make a record of the gun actually turned in and they could have easily written your tag number on their carbon copy of the receipt.

Wonder if they are going to have any crime guns actually turned in and then trace them back to the owner. Probably would never announce it to the public though because that would make people extremely leery of about turning in guns at these types of programs.

You can only use the "free baseball tickets" so many times before everybody catches on.

Mar 6, 2013
    Bogota, Columbia
    So, they do make a record of the gun actually turned in and they could have easily written your tag number on their carbon copy of the receipt.

Wonder if they are going to have any crime guns actually turned in and then trace them back to the owner. Probably would never announce it to the public though because that would make people extremely leery of about turning in guns at these types of programs.

You can only use the "free baseball tickets" so many times before everybody catches on.

So they pay for the crime guns. Then invite the criminals in for a free HD TV?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

They told people ahead of time that they will "investigate" guns previously used in crimes but they didn't really emphasize that fact in any of their PSA's. Some guy asked about it on their FaceBook page and they answered him.

From the HoCO Police Facebook page:
    Quote:
    Howard County Police Department Brook Hubbard Our goal is to offer people an opportunity to get unwanted guns out of their homes, if they so choose. If it is determined a gun was used in a crime, we will use investigative resources to pursue information about that case. Whatever the result, that particular gun cannot be used in a future crime.
    Quote:
    Ronald Searle For Howard County Police Department: will you be running ballistics on guns that aren't stolen? I'm not thrilled about the risk of a false-positive ballistics match (one crime-lab audit recently found a 10% ballistics mis-identification rate, so it's a non-trivial concern).
    15 hours ago · Edited
    Brian Hughes Ronald, in Maryland selling a handgun is not as easy as passing it on to a random stranger. You must go through the state police either directly or through a properly licensed dealer. The paperwork is extensive and currently the process is taking about a month. Note: as long as it doesn't eventually lead to confiscation, I have no problems with the state's background check which is augmented by a federal instant check process. IMHO, no one who plans to use such a weapon illegally would be willing to go through the mandated requirements. Whatever it is you are planning to turn in can likely be sold on consignment at a local gunstore and you might be surprised at how much it could be worth. The current demand is outpacing the supply.
    7 hours ago · Edited
    Howard County Police Department Ronald Searle, we will be test firing handguns. We will not test long guns, as there is no national database for comparison.

Video from yesterday's news conference http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/ellicott-city/ph-gun-buyback-20130315,0,6338624.story

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Can anyone tell me what kind of locks they're giving away?

They were giving away cable locks. Of course they were not MD-required OMEGA locks. I pointed that out and the officer said "I'm sorry they don't meet your requirements." I reminded him that the cable lock was fine with me, but the law he has to enforce says that it is not good enough for a MD regulated gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom