• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    I am a new gun owner and I have purchased the Sig 320. About how often do I need to clean my gun and oil its components ...

Is it necessary to oil and clean it before the first shooting range trip?

If i shoot 150/200 rounds through it every range trip there after - does it really require a cleaning every time - realistically?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Read your manual.

It will matter what type of ammo you are shooting and how well lubed your gun is. I clean my pistols about every 500rds and my ARs every 1000. Just keep them well lubed.

Again check your manual. Different manufacturers have different ideas on this.

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    Read your manual.

It will matter what type of ammo you are shooting and how well lubed your gun is. I clean my pistols about every 500rds and my ARs every 1000. Just keep them well lubed.

Again check your manual. Different manufacturers have different ideas on this.

ok cool - thanks - ill have to recheck it again but your advice sounds like a good SOP for me

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Before its first time being shot.
    After every time you take it shooting.

Ditto here. I don't think much of the Youtube philosophy of shooting a gun right out of the box. (Military Arms Channel is but one)

If I was a manufacturer, I would error on the side of the gun sitting at a distributors for a couple months, then a retailer for a couple months and then the ultimate gun buyer, who may not be in any hurry to get it to the range.

The last thing they want to hear or see on the Internet is "this new gun is rusty right out of the box" so they are going to lube for rust prevention and not proper function.

Cleaning after every shooting session is just a good habit to have. Life gets in the way of going to the range and your job sends you out of town or out of the country, your wife gets pregnant or you break an arm rock climbing. As you acquire more handguns, your preferences for which gun to take to the range will change. A gun that falls out of favor, may not get shot for a year or two.

Waiting for a round count to clean, means the black stuff in the barrel is just attracting moisture in the MD humidity and waiting to pit your barrel.

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    Ditto here. I don't think much of the Youtube philosophy of shooting a gun right out of the box. (Military Arms Channel is but one)

If I was a manufacturer, I would error on the side of the gun sitting at a distributors for a couple months, then a retailer for a couple months and then the ultimate gun buyer, who may not be in any hurry to get it to the range.

The last thing they want to hear or see on the Internet is "this new gun is rusty right out of the box" so they are going to lube for rust prevention and not proper function.

Cleaning after every shooting session is just a good habit to have. Life gets in the way of going to the range and your job sends you out of town or out of the country, your wife gets pregnant or you break an arm rock climbing. As you acquire more handguns, your preferences for which gun to take to the range will change. A gun that falls out of favor, may not get shot for a year or two.

Waiting for a round count to clean, means the black stuff in the barrel is just attracting moisture in the MD humidity and waiting to pit your barrel.
    good stuff everyone - all great advice

SCDoGo

Dec 6, 2014
    thanks everyone - all good stuff - I guess it's the obvious answer that I was dreading - every time it is - the more I do it the easier it will become

You don't have to dread it.. Throw on a show, and spend time with your guns, treating them real nice. Makes you more comfortable and intimate with each one and is very relaxing.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You don't have to dread it.. Throw on a show, and spend time with your guns, treating them real nice. Makes you more comfortable and intimate with each one and is very relaxing.

Immediately transfer the above post to The Out Of Context Thread.

Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 dolla.

Smoking a cigarette and pillow talk is OK...:innocent0

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I used to "dread" cleaning my guns. Dread meaning I just didn't feel like it after shooting knowing what was involved and how long it would take and so on. I just switched over to a different cleaning regiment (new cleaner and lube) and what used to take me a half hour, now takes no more than 10 minutes. What used to take me 15 minutes now takes 5.
    Get the right cleaning supplies and your life will be easier.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Unless I'm shooting corrosive ammo, my barrels don't get cleaned till accuracy falls off. If its corrosive I clean the entire gun after shooting.

Just add lubrication after shooting and wipe down the exterior of the firearm with Barricade to prevent corrosion. Your more likely to damage or accelerate wear by cleaning after every shooting session.

A quality made firearm won't wear out rapidly, or malfunction with lots of firing residue. It just needs lube, the more the better IMO.

Lubricant not only prevents wear but it also allows contaminants to be displaced from critical areas. Light applications of lube are inferior to generous applications.

You don't tear down your care engine after driving, you just check the fluids and drive till its time to change fluids. When you clean don't scrape at things

I don't clean any of my non corrosive fired firearms until it's time to inspect them, or if they were exposed to excessove moisture, salt, or dirt/mud/samd, or blood. You clean to inspect and gauge, not just for the sake of it. When its time to clean just use some aircraft grade simple green, some hot water. Dry with compressed air and lubricate.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I am a new gun owner and I have purchased the Sig 320. About how often do I need to clean my gun and oil its components ...

Is it necessary to oil and clean it before the first shooting range trip?

If i shoot 150/200 rounds through it every range trip there after - does it really require a cleaning every time - realistically?

Reading your post, it sounds like this gun cleaning thing might be a new experience for you. Would you like some help for the first time? I don't have any experience with Sigs, but I'm sure we could figure it out.

As an alternative, there are probably lots of YouTube videos on cleaning you new pistol. Here's one

edit:
    Oops... I just watched that video and it goes into WAY too much detail for a regular cleaning. My bad. I'm sure there are others out there that are more appropriate. Good luck!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Also, don't blow your money on exotic and expensive lubricants, cleaners, and preservatives. Automotive Grease and Oil works as good as, if not better then gun lubricants. Unless the smell bothers you, there's no reason to not use it. Natural and Non Toxic Lubes are bunk because as soon as you shoot they are not "safe" and are contaminated with carbon and lead.

The only gun products I use regularly are:

The only bore cleaner you need is Wipe Out or Patch Out. No brushes needed, just a jag, rod and some patches.

For preservative Barricade works great, otherwise WD40 sprayed on a rag works well, just don't use it as a lube or spray it directly on the firearm, it will gum up over time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, clean and properly lube before shooting.

As for how often to clean, more firearms are ruined by OVER cleaning, than by not enough cleaning.

The typical clean every time you shoot comes from the military. 1) In the old days, powder (black powder) then later primers, left corrosive residue in the barrel. I fyou did not clean after every use, the barrel would rust. No current commercial ammunition uses corrosive primers, and most military ammunition also. Older, and certain calibers, do use corrosive primers.

2) The military was teaching a mind set. Cleaning was one part of that.

3) In the military, if you over clean and wear out the barrel, you take it to the armory, and they replace it. No charge. You do that to your own firearm, and YOU pay the bill.

Long range precision shooters typically clean when the accuracy falls off. When I shot USPSA seriously, I would clean once a year, and was shooting 10,000+ rounds per year of lead bullet .45 ACP.

When I shot serious sporting clays, I cleaned my over/under, again, once per year. And would shoot 5000+ rounds per year.

I DO, wipe down the outside of every firearm after every I touch them. Fingerprint oils are NASTY, especially on blued firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom