• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FRS GOCAV

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2021
    Glen Burnie
    I was an Armor Cav unit armorer for over 10 years. I had a lot of weapons to maintain. Hundreds of weapons. We used break free CLP to clean with. Just last week
    I had seen in the GUNS and AMMO a metal defense anti rust spray and long term storge bags for all small arms. Look it up. apigunbags.com. Just a heads up.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Part of the reason I rarely shoot is that I hate cleaning them afterward.

Cleaning I don’t mind as much as much really. Although I don’t clean after each range session. The reloading Required too much time and concentration for me. When I stocked up a bit the value of my time outweighed the time it took to reload my two rifle cals.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Firearms cleaning is most fun when you buy an old surplus rifle. You get to really disassemble it and detail it, all the while learning many of it's little secrets!

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Firearms cleaning is most fun when you buy an old surplus rifle. You get to really disassemble it and detail it, all the while learning many of it's little secrets!
    cosmoline sucks.
    PSA, do not use your oven on low to melt it away if you are married.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Embrace the commie cosmoline! I love the stuff. It just adds challenge to the cleaning and it smells good too! Now, I know I'm in the minority on this but I'm also a little strange; I'm aware of it.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Embrace the commie cosmoline! I love the stuff. It just adds challenge to the cleaning and it smells good too! Now, I know I'm in the minority on this but I'm also a little strange; I'm aware of it.
    It’s a good smell. I have a couple of rifles that are still slathered a bit with cosmoline. When my east side of the house warms up with the sun, the smell of cosmoline will waft out and odorize the room. :)

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I enjoy cleaning them. Disassembling something capable of death and destruction to reassemble it back into working order. Like that one episode from MASH when Charles goes on a spiritual journey tearing apart a jeep into it's piece it becomes non-working.

1707840345710.png

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I have stated my opinion and expanded on my background.

Wait, there's more than what is in your signature block?

It's extremely hard to take you serious with that monstrosity. You do seem like you know your way around an AR15. I'm disappointed that it's tarnished by that signature block that is so big it can't even let your head fit through the doorway. If you have to spend so much effort trying to convince people you know what you're doing, it makes people question your competency.

BTW, I agree with your post #269. Lube it, run it hard, clean as needed (aka, sparingly). Do you know how many times in my career I measured light / moderate / or heavy lube on my M4? Exactly ZERO. Throw me that CLP, squeeze some on the BCG, pull the BCG squeeze some more, cycle the BCG a handful of times, slap a mag and go back to work. Rarely needed to clean post-mission, unless you fell into a ditch / tripped off the ramp into a pile of dirt / etc. Post-mission everything typically got a light wipe down with a rag, lubed, then back together. Any actual "cleaning" usually took place after long range days. Even then, it was light carbon removal from BCG, bore snake, and lube only. I would venture to say the military runs their rifles harder than most. Is there stoppages, failures, breaks? Absolutely. They are just tools after all, nothing is indestructible.

Now that I've contributed nothing to this worthless thread, imma go browse the classifieds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom