• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Calvert Co is only so big ( long) . If you're 1.25 hr from Flat Broke , you're closer to MSA in the other direction .
    I have been to MSA twice,, Thanks and NO Thanks
    (I thought the 1st time was a fluke,, 2nd time confirmed it was not)

But yes,, I'm northern CC,, anything over 30 min drive each way gets into the "not really gonna happen" range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    30 minutes or less is not realistic in Maryland ( where 90% of population lives ) . Unless you bought your house , specifically to be near your gun club .

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    It was my undestanding that even using non-corrosive primers, over time, a dirty barrel etc. will corrode faster than a barrel that has been cleaned and lubed using Ballistol or Miltec before being stored in a gun safe for possibly years. I'd really like to know if this is true or not. 2nd question, do you really run AR actions dripping wet w/ oil? Thanks in advance.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I clean when I observe accuracy degrade to an unacceptable level for the weapon I'm shooting. None of us have an infinite amount of time and I have to balance my free gun time between shooting, reloading, and cleaning. Cleaning more than is necessary is a waste of the most precious resource there is.
    This is the way!

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    It was my undestanding that even using non-corrosive primers, over time, a dirty barrel etc. will corrode faster than a barrel that has been cleaned and lubed using Ballistol or Miltec before being stored in a gun safe for possibly years. I'd really like to know if this is true or not. 2nd question, do you really run AR actions dripping wet w/ oil? Thanks in advance.
    Clean your firearm before storage.

Insofar for lubricating, some purported here do that. Absolutely batshit crazy to dip/slather/grease/Mobile One all over the BCG. Until it’s dripping wet.

Let’s collect dirt in the upper receiver with that excessive lubricating practice!

I guess it’s fine if you don’t plan to use your AR in austere environments. 99 percent of SOTAR graduates were mistakenly trained to agree to the otherwise. :rolleyes: One percent did get it right.

Just my humble opinion. Offered from experience. And no, I’m NOT SOTAR alumni.

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Absolutely. Never had a stoppage or malfunction, I have thousands of rounds through it. I shoot matches frequently and can't tell you how many AR's I see malfunction due to lack of lubrication.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Some purported here do that. Absolutely batshit crazy to dip/slather/grease/Mobile One all over the BCG. Until it’s dripping wet.

Let’s collect dirt in the upper receiver with that excessive lubricating practice!

I guess it’s fine if you don’t plan to use your AR in austere environments. 99 percent of SOTAR graduates agree.

Just my humble opinion.
    Oil displaces dirt.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Absolutely. Never had a stoppage or malfunction, I have thousands of rounds through it. I shoot matches frequently and can't tell you how many AR's I see malfunction due to lack of lubrication.
    Excessive lubrication vs proper lubrication is what I’m discussing here.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

I can give you two anecdotes from my personal experience.

I’ve bought two rifles that had fired barrels that probably had not been cleaned in decades. One was a Winchester 94 and one was a Marlin 39a .22. Both barrels where literally fuzzy with who knows what in them. The vendors allowed me to pull a loose fitting dry patchworm through them so I could get a better look with the bore light. They were still cruddy but I didn’t see any obvious rust or putting.

Took them home and cleaned with wipe-out and the bores looked perfectly fine to my eye and shot just fine.

Both rifle had some external pitting and some orange rust that had to be cleaned off. I had a couple theory’s on why there was no lasting damage. Most .22s are coated in a waxy like substance which probably helped preserve the bore. On the Winchester, the fuzzy cobwebby mess was a little greasy so maybe there was some leftover oil in there or it was just the nature of old fouling. Fouling by itself it somewhat greasy. Some of the greasy mess was green with I assume dissolved copper fouling over time.

This along with the potential dangers of careless rod and brush use lead me to simply pull a patch with CLP through the barrel and wipe down the metal parts if I’m not going to use a gun for awhile. And then use wipe-out if I really want the barrel clean. Of course humidity and all of that plays a role too.

CLP will dissolve copper but it takes a long time. I’ve pulled a patch through a rifle that had CLP applied to the barrel years earlier and it came out green.

Oh and to start another war, I store rifles barrel down in the safe.

soco

May 21, 2012
    I bought an 870 express and used it at PG county trap and skeet for probably 1000-2000 rounds before I had enough money to buy something nicer. I cleaned it religiously every time, even after a 50 round range trip (so probably 30 times).

It now has an action smoother than a wingmaster, and I can cycle the bolt by simply shoving the gun forward (and letting the inertia of the slide cause it to cycle).

Its worth keeping finely tooled machinery clean. You totally can ignore it, but why would you?

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Thanks to one and all for the advice. I guess I won't feel guilty delaying cleaning a few days.:-) BTW, Ramrodz's (big qtips) are great for cleaning handguns. Pull a b-snake through a few times, chuck one into a drill soaked w Ballisol and have at it. There is no danger of damaging barrels etc.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Famous YouTube channel TFB TV just posted a video on the PSA Rock57 and ran 1000+ rounds of AAC ammo through it without any lube or cleaning and had 0 malfunctions. I was impressed.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have been to MSA twice,, Thanks and NO Thanks
    (I thought the 1st time was a fluke,, 2nd time confirmed it was not)

30 minutes or less is not realistic in Maryland ( where 90% of population lives ) . Unless you bought your house , specifically to be near your gun club .
    I swear I moved into the center of "the dead zone"
    If I was in South Calvert,, I would be within 30 min of Flat broke and Sanners lake,
    If I was slightly East of here, I would be within 30 min of Arundel Fish and game,,
    If I lived north of here, I would be close to Berwyn rod and gun,, and 30-40 min of AGC.

Over a 30 min drive (each way) just seams like a cut off, going from casual shooting too "making a day of it"

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    The Hoppe's No. 9 just isn't the same without ammonium oleate, neutral saponifiable oil, nitro-benzene, light mineral oil such as kerosene, and amyl acetate.and amyl acetate in a glass bottle. Love potion number 9 according to the song perhaps.
    Indeed. It's a solid list of ingredients.
    Get happy with Hoppes. Hard to beat.
    Yup. It works really well.
    Two of the smells I love, Hoppes #9 and a freshly fire shotshell. Mmmm.
    V
    Agreed. Smells like tradition.
    I’ve heard that some shooters use it in lieu of after shave.
    Haha. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    IMHO, not cleaning guns after use is a sign of laziness and lackadaisicalness.

Yup. If it's important enough, you make the time to get it done....

FWIW for me: The firearm I carry is always clean/cleaned and lubed before I carry it. I wouldn't trust or have it any other way.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    As I have gotten older and must travel more to access rifle ranges, I am usually pretty tired when getting home after an outing. Cleaning anything that has fired corrosive ammo is done within 24 hours if not the evening of the outing.
    My other toys will get the needed attention within a few days.
    A properly cleaned and lubed firearm is a happy firearm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom