• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Seriously, there is such a thing as too much cleaning.

I clean my hunting guns once or twice a year unless thy get wet. Then they are broken down completely and cleaned. My other rifles get a bore snake after each range trip and a good cleaning when I feel they are ready.

Handguns get cleaned more frequently especially if it's one I carry. (When out of state as I'm not deemed worthy at home)

My 22 rifles and revolver get cleaned the most. Partly because they are shot the most and partly because 22 is a filthy round. As already said, brass brush is rarely necessary. I usually soak with a good cleaner, pull a bore snake once and then finish with patches.

Make sure you oil after whatever cleaner you choose so the metal is protected.

FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    I hardly ever get to use the not sure if serious cat pic. :D

I think your Freestate membership comes with a few cleanings. Either that or you could keep track of how much you shoot and find the upper limits of shooting without cleaning. I've considered doing that but my OCD keeps me from going past 2-3 range trips without cleaning.

Memberships include 10 free cleanings.

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    Zen

I clean mine after every use. I agree with Amoebamagician's philosophy on stripping and reassembly, it's a nice quiet time to think of nothing but the task at hand.

BTW, as well as the MDS links previously provided, there are countless you tube videos about stripping, cleaning, reassembly, the shooting of, the history of and anything else you care to know about just about any firearm that exists.

Good luck, get cracking!

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    You'll be sorry if there is any corrosive residue, however mild, or if your shooting sessions leave the guns with moisture inside as they cool off. Light cleaning can be as simple as running a couple of damp patches with your favorite cleaner through the bore and wiping down the outside of the gun with a rag that has Ballistol, Rem Oil, or similar on it. Takes maybe five minutes per gun.

That's pretty much what I do for the most part with all of my guns. The exception is with the high volume shooters which are my Mini-14's, a couple of 22 rifles and a couple of Glocks. I will clean in the same way I do the other firearms but when I've gone through 500-1500 rounds depending on the firearm, it gets completely stripped down and thoroughly cleaned. The Mini-14's had gone through almost 2000 rounds before I thoroughly cleaned them. It took me 3 midweek evenings for each rifle to get rid of the carbon buildup using a whole bottle of Hoppes and a toothbrush. After oiling and greasing where needed, it was good as new. I do have a 22 conversion slide for my Glocks that needs thorough cleaning after 300-500 rounds. The Remington Golden Bullets which the Glock 22 conversion likes tends to be a bit dirty.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I keep waiting for an update where protegeV posts a pic of all his guns sparkling clean. If that doesn't happen soon I may have to make a gun cleaning karma thread and rig it so he wins! :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would have to check.

Several are MANY years old. :)

But one of the name brands. I know I have at least one Wilson Combat one, that is used primarily on my Wilson tuned 1911.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I'm not obsessive-compulsive about cleaning, but I do regularly clean my firearms. One in particular has proven to be a real pain if I don't clean it after about 100 rounds. It's my S&W 22-A, which I love. If I go much over 100 rounds between cleanings it balks in every way imaginable - light strikes, failure to feed, you name it. Immediately after cleaning it runs like a sewing machine.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I'm not obsessive-compulsive about cleaning, but I do regularly clean my firearms. One in particular has proven to be a real pain if I don't clean it after about 100 rounds. It's my S&W 22-A, which I love. If I go much over 100 rounds between cleanings it balks in every way imaginable - light strikes, failure to feed, you name it. Immediately after cleaning it runs like a sewing machine.

Giveittame!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Unless you're shooting quite a bit, most of us will do more damage to our firearms through cleaning them than we will by throwing lead down range. When I first got into the hobby, I was meticulous about cleaning. Now years into it, I'll clean after every range trip, but I'm not concerned about getting everything out of there. Sometimes, it's just a wipe down and lubing. Realistically, that's all our toys need most of the time. Of course, there is a time for more thorough cleaning.

I'll get much more detail oriented if gets wet and/or stays out in the elements (to include my fantastically corrosive sweat) all day. All day in the duck blind in ~30 degree weather, bring it inside and it starts forming condensation? Detail strip. Water, begone. After all, firearms have two enemies: rust and politicians.

Hell, I actually went over my duck gun this evening with Eezox as a preventative, knowing it'll be out in the muck next weekend.

I may or may not have a problem. :D

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The one gun that does need to be cleaned is my ppk/s 22. It's so crudded up that it does not operate very well. Maybe I should have asked for a cleaning kit for Christmas :D

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The one gun that does need to be cleaned is my ppk/s 22. It's so crudded up that it does not operate very well. Maybe I should have asked for a cleaning kit for Christmas :D

raw

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom