• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    i guess that's how they do their business... like i said.. i've only bought handguns from same dealer/shop.. only extra i have to pay was tax and msp fee.

How close is that dealer to the Baltimore Area?

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    On Target sold me cable locks several times when I purchased hand guns that needed a lock.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Some shops will make you buy the lock from them but once you have walked out the door and put the gun in your car you can bring the lock right back in and they will buy it back from you. Apparently those omega locks are becoming hard to find in some calibers and shops need to keep a stock of them to sell pistols that don't have an integral lock.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Some shops will make you buy the lock from them but once you have walked out the door and put the gun in your car you can bring the lock right back in and they will buy it back from you. Apparently those omega locks are becoming hard to find in some calibers and shops need to keep a stock of them to sell pistols that don't have an integral lock.

Yes, a good shop will let you follow the letter and intent of the law. Why not let the customer bring in their own lock, point is it was sold with a lock. Most gun folks don't use these locks, we use safes or other better means.

I've heard the omega 5.7 lock is no longer made, so bringing one in to make purchase might be your only option. I may know a friend that might let you borrow his. :innocent0

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    my oppion, this is ********...if i have to buy one i will but i will throw it in the nearest dumpster soon as i can.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    my oppion, this is ********...if i have to buy one i will but i will throw it in the nearest dumpster soon as i can.

I think most of us agree with you. There's some history about how and why this law was created; some say as dumb as it is, it satisfied some anti's and was better than the alternative.

Not the shops fault, they must follow the law; better to give the lock back to the shop and ask them to give it to the next person. If you have a 5.7 lock, I'll take it if you insist :)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

It's better than the other option, which is that those guns would not have been available for purchase at all in MD because they did not have a built in lock designed into the actual construction of the gun.

Many manufacturers, Glock for one, would not redesign their guns to be MD compliant, so they were simply unavailable for sale as new guns in the state.

There were a few folks that got together as part of the review board and managed (somehow) to get the idea of the bore locks pushed through. Since the Omega-style locks are "built in" to the bore of the gun when applied, they were deemed to be acceptable for the intent of the law, as Minuteman states.

I wouldn't throw that lock away for two reasons, as Clandestine most correctly points out.....some shops will allow you to bring the lock if you are purchasing a firearm from them that requires it, saving you around $40 as I recall. Secondly, if you decide to sell the gun, it may sweeten the pot for a potential owner to include the lock since it would, in turn, save them $40.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    Just borrow an approved lock from a friend. You only have to show the dealer that, at the moment of taking ownership, you have at hand an approved lock.

I have a 9mm lock that I have never even taken out of the package. When I buy a handgun I take the lock with me, show it to the dealer, and walk out with my new gun.

I've loaned the lock to a couple of close friends in their purchasers in exchange for a beer.

One time expense of $40 that just keeps on giving.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Yeah, when I bought my .22 pistol the dealer told me that the lock doesn't have to be put on the gun, it only has to accompany it. A lot of BS if you ask me, but the dealers don't make the rules... they just have to follow them. But most dealers will allow you to use a lock you already have, especially if they're the ones who initially sold it to you. Once you get it in a few calibers you're all set. Or you could just borrow like JOBU suggested.

I about lost it when the dealer told me I didn't need to put it on the gun though. It makes no sense whatsoever. I hate Maryland.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I about lost it when the dealer told me I didn't need to put it on the gun though. It makes no sense whatsoever. I hate Maryland.

Many of the gun laws here make no sense nor are they based in any sense of reality. Look at the law prohibiting reloading in apartments because you might have gun powder cause a fire. When was the last time a reloader had a fire caused by powder in the US? The spent case law is all smoke and mirrors.

Think about the approved handgun list. A S&W revolver made in 1984 is somehow safe, but the same model gun, made in 1985 or 1995, wasn't safe until a board of experts decided it was OK to sell in MD.

We need a pro gun legislator propose a new car approval board. No new car can be sold until approved by the state.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    The law only requires that guns made after a certain date must be sold with one; not that every gun purchased in the future must have it's own lock. The locks can be used many times for other guns of the same caliber. Shop around, there are some dealers out there that aren't in the business of hosing customers.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    .44 chamber lock

I bought a Ruger Alaskan in .44 mag. I'll pick it up in about a week. Does anyone have a chamber lock I can borrow? (.44 is a new caliber for me. Darn!)

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    so I just picked up a single action revolver today with no integral lock and was given a vanilla queen trigger lock. Guess that is good for a single action revolver?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    so I just picked up a single action revolver today with no integral lock and was given a vanilla queen trigger lock. Guess that is good for a single action revolver?

what kind of single action revolver and when was it made?

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    so if the gun has an internal lock then you dont need to buy a separate lock? The 686 has a key driven internal lock which literally stops all mechanisms from work. I was told I had to buy a lock anyways.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    so if the gun has an internal lock then you dont need to buy a separate lock? The 686 has a key driven internal lock which literally stops all mechanisms from work. I was told I had to buy a lock anyways.

A friend of mine got a 686 a few months ago and buying the lock was not required. Someone is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom