• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    I'm new to all this and have been looking around for a Springfield Armory XDM. Went to the Gun Shack in Mt Airy and the guy there was very helpful and explained a heck of a lot.Showed my wife and I different models, different makes. Getting close to making a choice between the 9mm and 40 cal. Have shot both, but overall feel is 9mm might be the one.

Just like an auto mechanic, since I have no knowledge on this, I'm looking for any input on Gun Shack.

Any help appreciated. If you want to drop a PM so not to offend any shops, that ok.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    Great folks there. Not the best selection or price but I spend my money there when I can.

Only issue I don't like is when I ask for something they always say

1. We just sold the last one.
    2. we can order you one.

I can order it myself, I just want it right now!

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    Great folks there. Not the best selection or price but I spend my money there when I can.

Only issue I don't like is when I ask for something they always say

1. We just sold the last one.
    2. we can order you one.

I can order it myself, I just want it right now!

x2. I know a few people who swear by them, but I have only been in there a few times. It's not a hateful hike for me, but GC is the same distance, so if I am going to travel that far, I typically go the other direction. The few times I have been in there however, they were very courteous and helpful, with plenty of good information and no bad information so far. Again though, I have not bought anything there short of some ammo and targets, so I cannot comment on how they are to deal with as far as the transfer end goes, only their professionalism and customer service from a walk in stand point.

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    appreciated

Thanks, if anyone has a good recommendation for a shop.
    Like I said, it appears I'll be going for the XDM 9mm. Shack is $660.00
    Called On target,,,they won't quote over the phone,
    Haven't found anyone in Frederick area that has them.
    If I do the on line thing, with the added costs, it's about the same.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    I have only purchased from Gun Connection and will continue to do so despite the fact that I live in Annapolis and they are in White Marsh. Great service and great pricing...can't ask for more.

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Thanks, if anyone has a good recommendation for a shop.
    Like I said, it appears I'll be going for the XDM 9mm. Shack is $660.00
    Called On target,,,they won't quote over the phone,
    Haven't found anyone in Frederick area that has them.
    If I do the on line thing, with the added costs, it's about the same.

Gunrunners in Frederick has had 9mm XDM's every time I visit. Did you try them? And he was asking $629 I believe. Bob is a great guy!

Phil

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    I've bought a couple things from the Gun Shack and yes they have a noticeable price hike on their stuff. They were cheaper on my 17 HMR ammo then Walmart so that was nice. Have you been to Shooters Discount right up the same street from them? They have really odd hours but they have some hard to find things at really reasonable prices. The side street that runs next to the Gun Shack goes up the hill. If you follow that over the hill you will see some bland brown building on the left at the end of the road (dead end). Its in there on the lower floor. You have to buzz to get in though.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Gun Shack....

People are nice but prices are high.
    Try Marlin at PDI (dealer section) or GunRunners.

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    Like I said, new at this. Didn't know about Shooters Discount. Will check into them.
    Someone on line mentioned Gunrunners and got the address.Drove by down town Frederick and couldn't find the store? Didn't have time to park and walk around looking for it. Maybe this weekend. Called Glade and if the guy who answered the phone was any indication of the way they do business, I'll stay away. Answered with a "yeah"...I wasn't even sure I hadn't dialed someones house.Anyway, when I asked if they had the S/A XDM he sounded like he never heard of it. (just my input to them)

Thanks for the help people. Will shout out when I finally get it and join in all this fun.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Another vote for high prices at the Gun Shack. I'd love to do more business with them, and at 5-10% I'd do it, 10-15% I'd think about it, but at 20%+ (where they are on most things) there's no chance.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Someone on line mentioned Gunrunners and got the address.Drove by down town Frederick and couldn't find the store? Didn't have time to park and walk around looking for it. Maybe this weekend.

GunRunners is hard to find at first, he's back a little alley/path between 2 buildings with a plywood sign out on the sidewalk when he's open (probably a city signage code) he has evening hours during the week, not sure about weekends. It's easiest to park in the general area and just walk a block or so. Oh and he's on the second floor of a building, you'll go into the entrance of a craft/potpurri shop or something of the sort (has a fru-fruie smell to it) and then turn the right and go up the stairs and you'll be there.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Great people at the Gun Shack. When I'm hunting in Mt Airy, I always try to stop in. I've got a few good deals on brass and bullets, but the prices on the guns were a bit high. They were charging MSRP on a Ruger Charger just a few weeks ago. I won't drive 30 miles to save $5, but better deals are elsewhere. I've gotten several guns from On Target, and I've been very pleased with both price and service. Probably worth a drive to see what they have.

MH

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    Now what is the deal with the locking devices. I guess I missunderstood the requirement. Thought the cable was sufficient.
    So far at all the stores, no one mentioned it. Today I got a quote that said price includes the MD required intergrated locking device. Do I assume then that all the other prices had more than just tax to add?

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    My last purchase which was about two weeks ago didn't come with a lock. I know CA gives them to you when you purchase a gun and I thought MD would have but neither my sons Cricket or my Savage came with one.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    YEP

You'll find better deals on guns 30 seconds down the road at Shooters Discount. MUCH better deals but mostly used/police trade ins.

Splitter

Shooters discount does have some GOOD deals. Their inventory MOVES FAST. They always have the inside on police turn in deals and Military items.

The last few times I was in there they looked like they'd been cleaned out except for a few pistols. guy said they've been selling them fast as they come in.

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    Yeah, I talked with them yesterday. Don't have any XDM's in stock, but has a few on order. Is hopping to have them in in about a week or two. Also giving a 3rd magazine with the package at no extra charge. An added bonus

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    Well glad you had the chance to stop by there. Their inventory seems to be limited all the time but they are much more reasonable on pricing and more knowledgeable about the tactical stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom