• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If that were true you wouldn't keep asking anyone with a differing opinion whether they are going to pick up a strangers legal tab.

BGOS - it's a real illness.

Even you admit, the DC would be of use DURING YOUR DEFENSE.

So you seem to be saying that while it makes you "legal" you could end up arrested and charged.

If the DC letter made it "legal" it would be false arrest.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Even you admit, the DC would be of use DURING YOUR DEFENSE.

So you seem to be saying that while it makes you "legal" you could end up arrested and charged.

If the DC letter made it "legal" it would be false arrest.
    It could also be of aid in avoiding an arrest. Surely you didn't miss that post.

LCR21

Jan 15, 2016
    @Oupa Haha, Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I just don't want to lose my rights as a free citizen over an oversight. Might be the mini-prepper mentality in me :) I doubt a cop would find probable cause to legally search me further, but its always nice to check with others.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It could also be of aid in avoiding an arrest. Surely you didn't miss that post.

A big difference than saying a DC means you can transport as a bona fide collector.

THAT is my point. A DC is NOT guaranteed to allow you to transport anytime and place you want.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Sigh, we are overthinking this.

bona-fide = legitimate. If you have gone through the COMAR established process, you have identified yourself to the MSP as a legitimate collector. You may be a collector without the DC letter, but with the letter, the Secretary has designated you as one.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Sigh, we are overthinking this.

bona-fide = legitimate. If you have gone through the COMAR established process, you have identified yourself to the MSP as a legitimate collector. You may be a collector without the DC letter, but with the letter, the Secretary has designated you as one.

:thumbsup: The voice of reason...

The MDSP, a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY, has issued a document proclaiming your "State Police Recognized Status as a "Designated Collector". You are therefore a "Legitimate Collector".

The rules are clear as to what a DC may do with respect to transporting all or part of their personal collection.

As long as one obeys and abides by said rules, carries a copy of said DC Letter... AND violates no additional laws... There should never be any fear of, or reason why they should expect to be arrested by any LEO in this State.

If the DC Letter is "bonafide"... Then so is the collector named therein.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Designated does NOT equal legitimate.

You can be designated an officer and a gentleman. Doesn't make you a gentleman.

You can be designated ANYTHING.

And again, HOW DID YOU PROVE TO THE STATE YOU WERE A BONA FIDE COLLECTOR?

At MOST, you said on your application "to collect firearms." How is that proof?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Seriously? Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? Who, pray tell, is making the designation? A diploma/certificate mill or a state body whose designation might carry weight in front of a judge (if it ever made it to trial)? Were you the one vociferously arguing against the legality of stripped lower sales after FSA 2013 (until the MDSP "clarified" their opinion retroactively on the matter)?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

You fill out an application, and upon approval the Secretary designates you as a collector for the purposes of the statute.

"bona fide" means "authentic, genuine, real, true, actual, legal, legitimate, lawful, valid, proper." If the Secretary designates you as a collector upon approval of your application, for the purposes of the statue, you are a legal (proper, authentic, legitimate) collector.

I think you are missing the forest for the trees. If you are stopped with guns in your trunk, so much has to go wrong before the officer is looking at your collection. But if he/she is, whether you are a legitimate collector is unlikely to be the issue. Where you are going and/or where you are coming from, and what you are doing with your collection in your trunk may be a wee bit more significant.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    If it's just a meaningless piece of paper, why are they running background checks to get it?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

THAT depends ENTIRELY upon who or what authority is making the designation.

An Official State Agency conducts an investigation and designates a party as a DC, based upon the results of that investigation, makes said designation OFFICIAL. That means "recognized as real and actual by THE STATE OF MARYLAND... I say... THAT makes it Bonafide for the purpose of the written law.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If it's just a meaningless piece of paper, why are they running background checks to get it?

There is no evidence that they are running background checks...only logging names and addresses of "gun nuts".

Which is why they are willing to do it for free.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    THAT depends ENTIRELY upon who or what authority is making the designation.

An Official State Agency conducts an investigation and designates a party as a DC, based upon the results of that investigation, makes said designation OFFICIAL. That means "recognized as real and actual by THE STATE OF MARYLAND... I say... THAT makes it Bonafide for the purpose of the written law.
    As you are a retired local police officer/supervisor in this state I trust your opinion to be more bona fide than the others. ;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I do know someone that was charged with a transport violation. The D.C. status does not help you, or at least in their specific case it didn't.

That person managed to keep their 2A rights intact, but it cost them to do so. About $2800 in legal bills and court costs, and a clearance for their job.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I do know someone that was charged with a transport violation. The D.C. status does not help you, or at least in their specific case it didn't.

That person managed to keep their 2A rights intact, but it cost them to do so. About $2800 in legal bills and court costs, and a clearance for their job.
    I would love to hear the specifics on this case. Loaded is my guess. A DC letter won't help you if you are transporting illegally. A DC letter also wouldn't help you if you failed to mention it until you got to court.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I would love to hear the specifics on this case. Loaded is my guess. A DC letter won't help you if you are transporting illegally. A DC letter also wouldn't help you if you failed to mention it until you got to court.

Yep, that was the big obstacle.

The bigger lesson though, if you're transporting within reason of the law - you shouldn't worry about a traffic stop to a large extent.

Hell, I've been stopped on the way to the range with a truck full of rifles, handguns, ammo and targets - in full view of a Trooper. He didn't freak out, just reminded us the speed limit on this road goes from 45 to 35, and to be safe.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yep, that was the big obstacle.

The bigger lesson though, if you're transporting within reason of the law - you shouldn't worry about a traffic stop to a large extent.

Hell, I've been stopped on the way to the range with a truck full of rifles, handguns, ammo and targets - in full view of a Trooper. He didn't freak out, just reminded us the speed limit on this road goes from 45 to 35, and to be safe.

Completely agree. As someone with a DC letter, a collection of revolvers, and clean record, I would not worry if a friend wanted to compare revolver mechanisms, triggers, cleaning and disassembly techniques, etc and asked me to transport some to his MD home rather than come to mine if he lacked a DC letter. I would take them unloaded of course, in enclosed holsters, and out of view (e.g. the trunk). In the unlikely event of a traffic stop, I very much doubt that it would get to a PC situation where they would search my trunk. I would agree that the letter is a strong supporting document that one is a bona fide collector (given the lack of a legal definition) and transporting in accordance with the putative MD legal code on the topic.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    As you are a retired local police officer/supervisor in this state I trust your opinion to be more bona fide than the others. ;)

I can assure you that I would have assessed the situation... and provided the laws were adhered to and the letter was present with proper ID... Nothing would have caused me to arrest the person or delve further into the issue. And that is the way I would advise any other LEO to act in the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom