• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    1. 1911 pistols. I would love a GI 1911, but I think there are much better handguns for a lot less money.
    2. "name brand" AR products that seem to hold a price premium above their quality (Colt, RRA, Spikes, etc.): They aren't bad but I am not a fan of what you get for your money. You can get stuff that's equal or even better for less money.
    4. Remington 870. I've owned several and I would still rather have a Mossberg 500. I do like the look of an older Wingmaster, though.
    5. Bolt action rifles with a polymer stock. Some do it well, but most don't IMO. I hate cheap, hollow stocks (looking at you, Ruger)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    5. Bolt action rifles with a polymer stock. Some do it well, but most don't IMO. I hate cheap, hollow stocks (looking at you, Ruger)

Take a look at Savage polymer stocks...not only hollow but poorly designed. They are not designed to help reduce recoil. I used to have a Savage Weather Warrier in .30-06 and shot it side by side with a Colt Light Rifle .30-06 made by Ultra Light Arms. The Colt was lighter but even with ammunition from the same box the Savage's recoil was painful. Simply poor stock design in how recoil is transmitted to your shoulder.

I think you'll enjoy the Ruger after experiencing the Savage polymer stock.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sub2K. Loved the idea, but meh once I had it.
    Same here. Dumped my v1, not a lot of regrets on that count. The Sub-2000 CQB (integrally suppressed) I fondled at SHOT was a substantial improvement in comparison, as they finally solved the optics mount folded storage problem in a reasonable-ish way.

I know some people hate Glocks, but the triggers are acceptable to me with a minus connector installed. The Sig P320 X5L is miles better, which is why it's now my primary Carry Optics pistol, but it's also like twice the price.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    5. Bolt action rifles with a polymer stock. Some do it well, but most don't IMO. I hate cheap, hollow stocks (looking at you, Ruger)[/QUOTE]

Take a look at Savage polymer stocks...not only hollow but poorly designed. They are not designed to help reduce recoil. I used to have a Savage Weather Warrier in .30-06 and shot it side by side with a Colt Light Rifle .30-06 made by Ultra Light Arms. The Colt was lighter but even with ammunition from the same box the Savage's recoil was painful. Simply poor stock design in how recoil is transmitted to your shoulder

This x10...been looking for a wood stock for my 10 fcp sr. Not interested in a chassis or another plastic stock. Unless shooting prone the rifle wants to get back in thw car when I touch it off.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Curious why you say it was junk? I've been thinking about buying one solely on its mechanics being basically a cheap P7. Besides gen1s being hard to take down, I never heard anything bad about them. Please share to save me some trouble.

I bought the CCP with the exact same reasoning. I love the P7 and it has an almost identical mechanism.

I could not get it to reliably function with any ammo. I spent more on trying to find something that would run than the gun was worth.

Upon inspecting the pistol carefully, I suspect that it is at least in part due to a magazine issue. As the slide reciprocated and picked up another round, it would cause the round to nosedive and would pretty reliably hit the base of the feedramp.

I also suspect that maybe the gas port/ gas system was out of spec. Occasionally I would get stinging recoil and then a jam, indicating that it was operating more like a direct blowback over the delayed system it had.

It stovepiped as much as it failed to feed. Those were the two main malfunctions.

Mind you, this was also an "M2" version and had their updated follower.

It went back to walther and they sent me new magazines, but I had the same issues. I sold it on consignment for near half of what I bought it for.

It seems that people have either had rock solid reliability or nothing but issues. Unfortunately I was in the latter category.

Taco

Jan 23, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My most “meh” gun was a Sig P226. For such a celebrated and venerable firearm, I just really don’t enjoy shooting it. Im not a fan of the trigger or ergonomics. They sure look sexy though.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Somewhere along the line I just had to have a Walther PP. Got a very nice one! Meh. It does everything it's supposed to, in that very specific back-then-Walther kinda way. But, meh.

But I still won't sell it, dammit!

Bummer, I bet a bunch of us would have interest in a PP

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    1. 1911 pistols. I would love a GI 1911, but I think there are much better handguns for a lot less money.
    2. "name brand" AR products that seem to hold a price premium above their quality (Colt, RRA, Spikes, etc.): They aren't bad but I am not a fan of what you get for your money. You can get stuff that's equal or even better for less money.
    4. Remington 870. I've owned several and I would still rather have a Mossberg 500. I do like the look of an older Wingmaster, though.

I really like 1911 pistols, i dont think they are the greatest but collecting purposes i really do like them and think they are sexy, the older the better. If any of you guys dont like a Old 1911 you have , message me, ill trade ya something

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Alternative:

I have a 1967 Camp Perry National Match 1911 worked over my the Army's armorers at Rock Island Armory. A lot of history in the gun. Built on a 1944 Remington Rand frame with a Colt NM slide and barrel. The gun is a tack driver. I won't tell you what I paid, because it was a steal. Amazing 1911 if you can find one.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    AR's ... Ive had them sold them built them etc. They are accurate, i say Boringly accurate. Its great if you need one for a fight but for shooting paper i like the challenge of shooting a 50-100 yr old rifle with Iron sights 100 yards trying to hit a 3inch bull Over a scoped AR easily hitting quarters .Honestly I could sell all the AR's (except the Armalite AR10) and be content.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I really like 1911 pistols, i dont think they are the greatest but collecting purposes i really do like them and think they are sexy, the older the better. If any of you guys dont like a Old 1911 you have , message me, ill trade ya something

I have an on again/off again, love/hate relationship with 1911's. Just get tired of 'em after a while and need to shoot something else but always eventually work my way back around again.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    AR's ... Ive had them sold them built them etc. They are accurate, i say Boringly accurate. Its great if you need one for a fight but for shooting paper i like the challenge of shooting a 50-100 yr old rifle with Iron sights 100 yards trying to hit a 3inch bull Over a scoped AR easily hitting quarters .Honestly I could sell all the AR's (except the Armalite AR10) and be content.

My AR's aren't my favorite guns. They are definitely my favorite tools. I don't get excited about taking an AR to the range. I will grab and AR when I need a gun to defend home and hearth.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I have an on again/off again, love/hate relationship with 1911's. Just get tired of 'em after a while and need to shoot something else but always eventually work my way back around again.

I pretty much buy Anything that is a good deal, But even with about a dozen or so 1911's and a CMP 1911 sitting at the shop, I am still working a deal for two as we speak

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Beretta 92

I love the way it looks and feels, but shooting it is always unsatisfying. :shrug:

MM Jr is reading over my shoulder. Wants to know if you have consulted a physician after hitting your head.

I have plenty of handguns, but I can’t shoot any of them better than I can my Beretta 92. It is hands down my favorite handgun to take to the range.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Boring till you suppress them. Run fast drills on steel plates with a whisper pickle, and all you really hear is the steel ringing. Same pistol at full volume shooting paper is definitely meh.

That's a very interesting point. I don't own any Class 3 stuff but that's a really intriguing idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom