• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peartree

May 25, 2013
    Mt Airy
    My son is living in Denver and said that he wanted to learn how to be a gunsmith. He mentioned that he was looking into the Colorado School of Trades, Gunsmithing School. I was wondering if anyone had any insider info on the school and opinions regarding the quality of the training. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Pretty sure I've seen several comments regarding that school on the Practical Machinist forum's gunsmithing section. My recollection is that they were very positive, but you should probably go search/review them first hand.

Brent

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    My son is living in Denver and said that he wanted to learn how to be a gunsmith. He mentioned that he was looking into the Colorado School of Trades, Gunsmithing School. I was wondering if anyone had any insider info on the school and opinions regarding the quality of the training. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Being that he is in Denver, the best thing would be to go visit the school and talk to the admissions folks.

I applied and was accepted last year but backed out for reasons that kept me in Maryland.

They start classes every month and are there is usually a several month wait. He will have to fill out an application, pay a $200 fee that is refundable if he decides not to go and he will also have to write an essay on why he wants to be a gunsmith. After this he will have a final "interview" with the head of admissions, for me it was a phone conversation.

Their machine shop portion is probably the best out of the schools I looked into. They also have a follow on class in CNC after graduation, if he graduates in the top certain percentage of his class.

One of the better parts of the school is the last portion of the school is working on customer guns. People will send guns in to be worked on and you get assigned a gun as a project, contact the owner, go over the work desired, write up the order and go to work on it. You have to complete a certain amount of projects in order to graduate.

Completion of the course will now give you an Associates degree in Applied Science, whereas years ago it was a certificate only. I guess they figured out a way to encompass everything and award a degree in order to stay competitive with the other schools that offer degrees?

Several people I spoke to who have gone there recently said it's no joke. It's a tough course of instruction and they had several people who dropped out because once they got into it, they realized it wasn't for them and some failed out cause they just didn't take it serious.

They also get a booth at Shot Show every year that the students go to to show their projects and try to get jobs set up prior to graduation.

I would guess like most other things, you get out of it what you put in to it.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    It has a reputation as one of the best schools out there. But he can learn a lot by getting started on a lathe and mill. A good machinist will make a good gunsmith. Machining is the base. If he has the space he can get set up with a good older lathe for under a grand.

david2260

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Ocean View DE
    Colorado School of Trade

My son graduated from there in 2013 (?) with an AA Degree. He loved it having gone through its 13-14 month program. He moved there (Lakewood) from MD and now lives in MT. His friends from the school are saying there are plenty of jobs in CO; however, he decided to remain in MT.

Feel free to ask specific questions. I am sure that my son would be glad to talk or write to your son directly.

~David Gormley

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom