• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Had never seen one before, brought in as part of a collection we’re assisting with - thought it may be appreciated here.

Pending verification, but supposedly 1 of the original 6 made by H&R to be used as instructional aides - if it is, amazing to be able to handle it personally, and if it isn’t, it’s still cool as hell.
    IMG_6059.jpeg
    IMG_6060.jpeg
    IMG_6061.jpeg
    IMG_6062.jpeg
    IMG_6063.jpeg
    IMG_6064.jpeg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Some beautiful Garands and M1A’s in this collection, also a Dutch contract Breda (currently, possibly more at a later date) - it’s been years since I’ve seen some of them (helped relocate them when the owner moved houses).

I’m glad I don’t have the pockets, cause there’s a few I’d love to have for myself.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    This is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen! Is this collection being pieced out?
    It is. The owner is getting up there, and has asked that we assist in finding these new loving homes.

For those that may have a clue, we are indeed assisting Polecat (lou) with his inventory. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There's also a legit D-model that we're still in process of evaluating, and locating the optic for it - it was taken off sometime within the past 7 years when the collection was moved from 1 residence to another. But it is a beautiful example.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Very cool! Esp. if it can be verified that it's an authentic H&R issued item. Then it's honey bar the door, 'cause a lot of Garand collectors would probably love to acquire it. Good for the consignor.
    Let's hope that the scope for the M1D can be found too.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Very cool! Esp. if it can be verified that it's an authentic H&R issued item. Then it's honey bar the door, 'cause a lot of Garand collectors would probably love to acquire it. Good for the consignor.
    Let's hope that the scope for the M1D can be found too.
    I know the optic for the M1D was on the rifle 7 years ago - I had hands on it directly back then. It's just a matter of tracking it down in the consignors' home.

As for the cutaway, I'm not as knowledgeable as others when it comes to M1's, so I'm interested to see if it can be verified and authenticated - but so far going by photos of other cutaways that I've seen, this seems to be done to a much higher standard than the repro's.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The late Bill Ricca had a large cutaway display of the Garand he would set up at gun shows. He was an acknowledged expert on parts for the Garand, Carbine, M14 as well as other US arms. He was always pleasant to talk to and impart knowledge.

The last time I saw him was at the Frederick gun show several years back…he was looking to sell his business as his health was failing. I’ve no idea what happened to his inventory.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Looks like it has a SA barrel on it. As far as I know that may be correct for an HR rifle during some part of the manufacturing process.
    Also I think it has a firing proof on the wrist but devoid of an acceptance stamp.
    Which would make sense to me as never being accepted, but proofed at the factory.
    You should put it on the cmp site and let some of those guys look it over.
    Maybe Bob S or RCS from the milsurps forum could provide some useful info as well.
    Right now, with the pictures presented, as far as being an HR the only way one could really tell is by looking at the shape of the receiver forging in the 5th picture.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Looks like it has a SA barrel on it. As far as I know that may be correct for an HR rifle during some part of the manufacturing process.
    Also I think it has a firing proof on the wrist but devoid of an acceptance stamp.
    Which would make sense to me as never being accepted, but proofed at the factory.
    You should put it on the cmp site and let some of those guys look it over.
    Maybe Bob S or RCS from the milsurps forum could provide some useful info as well.
    Right now, with the pictures presented, as far as being an HR the only way one could really tell is by looking at the shape of the receiver forging in the 5th picture.
    I can get a better picture tomorrow, I was trying to be a little subtle with those shots, but I can crop out the last digits of the serial.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I can get a better picture tomorrow, I was trying to be a little subtle with those shots, but I can crop out the last digits of the serial.
    I get people not wanting others to see the #s. I dont like strangers all strapped up at my place so everyone's got their thing I guess.
    But anyway, When you mentioned it was an HR I could only tell by the receiver forging.
    I bet it starts with a 466 or 467 maybe =lucky guess.
    The heat lot and drawing numbers are what the hard core guys are after.
    I watched some cut a way's for different rifle types go for real decent money. And they were rifles manufactured in significantly higher numbers/differing countries
    Surprising to me, advanced collectors evidently like that sort of thing. Even machine guns.
    I think a lot of them were done elsewhere from the factory though like in base workshops or depots.
    I dont know why a cutaway would be produced by a manufacturer for a system that had been in production for a number of years other than a learning tool for an armorer course or something. Or for a project course.
    But thats just a guess too I dont really know.
    I think its a neat conversation piece and worth a few coins to the right person. Most guys are just happy to own a decent representative example that functions well or becuase their grandfather, uncle carried one somewhere.
    Or made by a tractor company or something like around my way its like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom