• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I took some .38 special handloads to the range today and on the 49th of 50 rounds, something didn't sound or feel right. It's funny, even though I've never shot a squib before, I knew exactly what it was. I looked and sure enough, there was a projectile stuck about 3/4 of the way down the barrel. I took the 50th round and shot it out. No... just kidding. I took it home and tapped it out with a dowel. I had a problem when I was loading that batch. The powder drop had worked it's way around to disengage the bayonet lock on the die. When I noticed the entire powder drop was raising, and not just the arm, I wasn't sure how many rounds I had loaded. I thought I pulled all of them, but obviously not. I'm just glad I recognized something was wrong when I fired it.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    I have not had one yet. I dont load a whole bunch but I got into the habit of weighing them just to be on the safe side.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    Close one. I think your name is on the 4-leaf clover I found yesterday.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk2.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I have not had one yet. I dont load a whole bunch but I got into the habit of weighing them just to be on the safe side.

You really have to watch weighing them. If you're using mixed brass, you'll be amazed how much they differ in weight from one manufacturer to the next.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    In 40 years of reloading I weigh every charge and when finished look to see all shells have the same powder level. Lastly, I zero the scale to make sure it's level at zero.

HTArms

May 9, 2013
    Waynesboro, PA
    Squibs are scary. I had one with .38 factory ammo a few years ago and also realized that something was wrong. It is one of the things I teach to watch for in my new shooter's class.

Glad it worked out for you!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    In 40 years of reloading I weigh every charge and when finished look to see all shells have the same powder level. Lastly, I zero the scale to make sure it's level at zero.

rifle.. that's what I do.. but handgun loads.. I make sure I visual check before putting the boolit in the case.

madstylez

Sep 27, 2010
    I had my first and only squib load with 9mm factory ammo during my basic handgun class about 15yrs ago. That was my first time ever shooting. Luckily I'd shot about 2 mags through the gun before I hit the squib, immediately noticed the problem, and didn't fire another round. The instructor realized it too and took the gun to clear it. The bullet actually made it out of the barrel. Afterward, he was like "see class, that was an example of a squib load".

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    I've had one with my first batch of reloads. Since that experience I check to see if powder is in every shell casing before seating bullets. And no distractions while reloading.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    I had my first and only squib load with 9mm factory ammo during my basic handgun class about 15yrs ago. That was my first time ever shooting. Luckily I'd shot about 2 mags through the gun before I hit the squib, immediately noticed the problem, and didn't fire another round. The instructor realized it too and took the gun to clear it. The bullet actually made it out of the barrel. Afterward, he was like "see class, that was an example of a squib load".

Who made the ammo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom