Had this Yugo SKS for awhile. Just got around to cleaning it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I had to go back and check my bound book to see how long it's been since I picked this one up. Almost a year. And I'm embarrassed to say this is the first time I've even picked it up to break it down, give it a good going over and a much needed cleaning.

This thing had no cosmoline on it at all. It was, however, incredibly dirty with carbon and copper deposits abounding. Even the front sight had dust and grime caked around it to where you couldn't see the sight pin if you shouldered it, and originally, I hadn't seen an import mark because it was covered in grime.

It looks like an older CAI import. The mark is actually very small and quite tasteful on the front side of the barrel. It's so small, even where it's now visible after cleaning, you still need to look to see it.

It appears to be all numbers matching, and I'm assuming arsenally refurbished at some point because of the addition of electropenciled numbers?

The serial number is stamped on the stock, back of the reciever cover, bottom of the trigger guard, front of the bolt carrier, the side of the bolt, side of the mag, underside of the gas tube and then on the side of the receiver. On the receiver, there is a "S-" stamped in front of the serial number, which, obviously was added later. Anybody know what thats for?

The electro penciled number also matches all over and is stamped on the bottom of the barrel. Then it's penciled on top of the bolt, underside of the bolt carrier, underside of the receiver cover, underside of the trigger group, inside lip of mag, and the underside of the gas tube.

The bore cleaned up nicely and is smooth and shiny with deep rifling.

This thing was a mess. I even pulled the cleaning kit, rubber butt pad and sling mount and cleaned and conditioned each of those. I spent a little time fitting the action into a Tapco stock which I may eventually switch to after I accumulate the rest of the parts I need for 922r. Still undecided though... not convinced I really like the stock.

SKSTearDown1.jpg

The stock is mostly clear but has these abrasions on the hand grip behind the trigger guard.

SKSStockCloseup.jpg

This is the stock after tear down and before cleaning it.

SKSStock.jpg

This was test fitting of the Tapco stock

SKSFitinTascoStock.jpg

Clean and ready to go to the range.

SKS.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Eh dont fret, I have bought guns that have sit for over a decade before I really started playing with them.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I got my 59/66 "new" from Samco Global and it was my first C&R purchase. The numbers on the receiver, bolt and stock all match. It was also my first "right of passage" with cosmoline removal and I guess I passed the test, even though I got the "hairy eye-ball" from the senior houseold executive for baking the stock in the oven. I had a heck of a time getting the stock back on it, as the detent that clicks into the trigger guard was very stubborn. It finally "clicked" in with a few smacks with an inverted punch. I'm really glad I got that SKS. Wish I would have had the presence of mind to get one back in the 90s.

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
      IMG_0257.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 235

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Nice work bkraft and a fine SKS. :thumbsup:

All your work reminds me I have projects in the safes awaiting my attention. :banghead:

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Nice piece. I am on the fence about buying outside my focus group of C&R weapons. SKS, CZ82,P64 etc are tempting as hell and I don't know how much longer I can resist.:drool:

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    I like my Yugo SKS also. Bought the straight M59 version (no grenade launcher) from SAMCO. No issues getting it cleaned up. The accessory kit was something else. Everything has a rotting leather smell. May have to toss it and buy an unissued set. Hey...that's my excuse to go to next week's Timonium gun show! BTW, the TAPCO stock looks awesome. I'll have to keep that in mind if I get bored and need something to do/play with over the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom