• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I hunt with a 209x50 T/C Encore ml handgun. I bought it used chambered in .30-06 from a dealer on GunsAmerica.com that was made "pre-fired shell casing" and "pre-internal lock". Then just bought the ml barrel from Fox Ridge Outfitters, T/C's custom shop. No big deal. T/C will quote manufacturing date before a potential purchase to be certain.

Bought another Encore pistol used in .223. Just had to have a custom lock made for it for $20. Like most other guns, MDers can get them if we are willing to go through the maze.

That's why I questioned his reply myself.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I believe some of the Encore pistol boxes have "Not for Sale in MD" stamped on them. I vaguely remember something like that on mine. Maybe that's why he made the comment.

SOMDSHOOT, I am also intrigued by the new Vortec, but don't know anybody with one to ask about it.

And I wholeheartedly agree that updating the laws regarding hunting with a handgun is long overdue. Today's advanced slug and muzzleloader technologies make any TRADITIONAL handgun round look impotent.

I think it's mostly a fear/dislike of hunters running around with those "deadly handguns" all through the woods. That and maybe the handguns that chamber rifle rounds worry them. A law stating "straight-walled handgun rounds only" in the shotgun counties would solve the problem. I'm lucky to live and hunt where I can hunt with my Super Blackhawk Hunter, but do have friends with land in Caroline and Kent that I'd love to hunt with a pistol but can't.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    RUGER Old Army .45 ( Works for me!) :D :thumbsup:

That ain't no BP handgun, THIS is a BP handgun. :innocent0 Use the Redhawk with 5 1/2 barrel for scale.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      72.8 KB · Views: 113
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      45 KB · Views: 119

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    That ain't no BP handgun, THIS is a BP handgun. :innocent0 Use the Redhawk with 5 1/2 barrel for scale.
    Don't put 40gr of FFFF Goex behind a .451... Round Ball, your wedge pin will never be the same! :shocked4:

My Hunting load is 41gr of FFFF goex, behind a .457 round ball=1036 fps X 6. :D

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    I believe some of the Encore pistol boxes have "Not for Sale in MD" stamped on them. I vaguely remember something like that on mine. Maybe that's why he made the comment.

If your referring to my comment(jbmabrey), I have been told by 3 gunshop owners that Marylanders can't buy TC handguns because of the law. I did read here that there is a way but involves lots of hoops to jump through. Even the shop owners didn't know that there was a legal way to get the case done.

My 1st ml barrel was a Fox Ridge and I recently read that TC has closed their custom shop. You can still get custom ML barrels from EA Brown, Match Grade Machine, Bullberry, Mike Bellm, and a couple of other custom shops.

My initial reaction was to the "No Good ML pistols on the market" comment. Thats partially true except for TC. Also Kahnke gun works out of Red Wood Falls, Minnesota made a really good ml pistol but I recently heard from him and he has been sick but hopes to start making ml handguns in the future.

The 1st dealer I talked to about getting a TC handgun frame was a guy who used to work in a gunshop in Dover, De. He sold me my 1st TC frame there. He and his wife had just opened a shop and I was going to give him some business. Told me you couldn't buy them in Md.
    Anyway they are excellent ml handguns, and I have a Burris scope and a Bushnell scope on each of the muzzleloader barrels.

I also have a custom MGM 44 mag barrel with a muzzle brake, a 223 barrel, a TC 44 mag barrel, and 2 custom MGM 357 Remington Maximum barrels, one with a brake and one with a bull barrel.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Don't put 40gr of FFFF Goex behind a .451... Round Ball, your wedge pin will never be the same! :shocked4:

My Hunting load is 41gr of FFFF goex, behind a .457 round ball=1036 fps X 6. :D

I max it out with 60 grains of 777 or Pyrodex, no ill effects at all using I "think" both .451 and .453.
    FUN gun to shoot.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    And I wholeheartedly agree that updating the laws regarding hunting with a handgun is long overdue. Today's advanced slug and muzzleloader technologies make any TRADITIONAL handgun round look impotent.

Well, I made a few calls and sent a few emails regarding the matter and I'm trying to strike some attention to the matter, as you said, my emails and calls are specifically based on the introductions of the new rifled sabot loads, and basically, long story short, I am saying, "If we can use this, why can't we use that?"

I'll have updates on who says what when the information becomes available. I'm confident "they" know I will not stop calling or emailing until I get some answers, so, I always get a reply of some kind, but, my last email to Dave Heilmeier was replied to with the inclusion of the information that he had forwarded to the proper department for discussion, that's all I know. If enough people step up, then the handgun rule can change for Region B. All we can do is open our mouth and speak, send emails, ask questions, and find out what can be done and what has to be done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To: "smst@somd.net" <smst@somd.net>
    Subject: RE: Handgun Regulation Question
    Date: Fri 09/17/10 03:18 PM

Mr. Owens,

I just wanted to let you know that I received your email and I am consulting
    with our game program (who manages deer) for a response. I will try to get
    back to you with it next week. Thanks for your patience.

Dave Heilmeier

David Heilmeier
    Southern Region Manager
    MD DNR Wildlife and Heritage Service
    6904 Hallowing Lane
    Prince Frederick, MD 20678
    (410) 535-0282
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Is handgun hunting only allowed in some places there or is using one just plain not allowed? I know I can use one here anywhere a rifle can be used.

Jim

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Is handgun hunting only allowed in some places there or is using one just plain not allowed? I know I can use one here anywhere a rifle can be used.

Jim

Yep Region B of the state is not allowed to use handguns:
    I think Frederick County is an "exception" though, and I think someone mentioned something about Montgomery County as well, I don't know.

I think you said you were in Delaware ?

Region B Includes: Not Allowed

Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Carroll, Cecil, Charles, Dorchester, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s, Somerset, Talbot, Washington (Zone 1), Wicomico, Worcester Counties.

Region A Includes: Allowed

Allegany County, Garrett County, and Washington County (Zone 2).

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    From this year's Guide to Hunting and trapping:

Modern handguns may be used to hunt deer only in those counties where the use of a breech-loading rifle for deer hunting is permitted with the exception that modern handguns may be used to hunt deer throughout Frederick County. Any modern handgun used for deer and bear hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more.

The exception for Frederick County is made because only the northern portion of the county (north of I-70) is allowed to use breech-loading rifles.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    jbmabrey,

Sounds like you have quite a collection of TC barrels there. Sweet! MGM does indeed make some nice barrels. As does Mike @ OTT and JD Jones @ SSK.

The Encore (and Contender) handgun is on the MD roster. A used example only requires a custom "internal" lock to be made (and only if it was manufactured after the "internal lock" law went into effect). Omega lock or VisuaLock. VisuaLock made one for my .223 for $20 + shipping and will make one in ANY caliber you want in ANY length. It's currently on loan to another member here to get his .223 Encore.

A new one will additionally require a fired casing which many of our own Industry Partners can provide for a nominal fee. Neither expensive nor alot of hoops, relatively speaking for MD. My first .30-06 Encore was purchased used and manufactured before the "internal lock" law and required nothing extra. The 3 gunshop owners you asked must not have a clear understanding of MD's laws.

And, (not that it means anything because I've seen Gander Mtn. in Salisbury with several 25-round Butler Creek 10/22 mags for sale which obviously break the MD 20-round mag limit) Gander Mtn. sold at least 2 Encore handgun frames with just the frame and grip. So there must be a way to sell them as a "frame-only".

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    Bisleyfan44, thanks for the info. So this is how a Md resident "can" get a quality muzzleloader handgun.
    Your right about Ott and SKS both make great barrels. Mike Ott is a barrel making artist.

The self proclaimed gunsmith(about 3 years ago-I understand he left) at Gander Mountain was one who said No tc handgun sales. It was in relation to my inquiry to do a trigger job on a tc handgun. He also said that it was illegal to do a trigger job and voids the warranty. Neither of which is true.
    You have established the 1st was incorrect and tc does back the warranty they just return any gun to factory specs-ie replace any modified trigger parts and change it back to a 5 or 6 pound pull. Then you have to redo the trigger.

The process you describe to buy a TC handgun frame is a lot of hoops for De. I can go to gunshop and buy a frame or tc handgun with the same checks as a rifle-state and federal and walk out with it an hour later. (If they had one in stock) Usually you have to order one and wait for TC. I got both of my frames in a week.
    thanks for the clarification-I think if people in Md want a good/excellent ml handgun a tc and custom barrel are the way to go over any other option that exists now. And as a muzzleloader it is a handgun you can use in all counties.

As for the handgun issue I agree with what has been written and will follow up myself with a letter to the person mentioned before. BTW Cecil county and Dorchester county both still allow rifles-and handgun hunting.
    thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom