• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1BigHaze

Feb 27, 2022
    Pasadena
    Hello, my names Matt, and I’m planning on purchasing my first handgun, this weekend. I’ve owned other firearms for years, and I’ve shot plenty of handguns, i just never personally owned one. I took the handgun qualification class around this time last year. They told us about the 70 something form I’m required to file, and I’ve already found that on the MDSP forum. My question for you it’s pertaining to capacity, it says 10 rounds, but is it anything like what I deal with for my AR’s? I’m not allowed to purchase a 20 or 30 round magazine’s in MD, and that’s online or in person. But I can drive out of state, pick one up, and I was told it’s legal. I’m pretty confident it’s legal, because they don’t play around at the range I go to, they physically check all of your ammo, along with everything else in my case, before anyone can step out onto the range. I’ve watched them tell ppl when something isn’t permitted, and they’ve never complained about my magazines.

I found a 9mm that I really like, but it has a capacity greater than 10. Can I ask the company if they’d be willing to remove the magazine, and legally purchase/own the firearm, or no? I’d like to avoid giving the ATF, or any other agency a reason to show up at my door, and potentially losing my firearms.
    Just before making my purchase a minute ago, a warning message popped up after I submitted my address and dealer, saying it’s my responsibility to know my states laws(which’s fair) and that I’d lose a percentage of my money, for restocking fees, if it couldn’t ship. So I figured I’d ask, sorry my rants so long and all over the place.
    I truly appreciate u taking the time to help, I hope everyone has a great wknd, and thanks.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Ask your FFL's magazine policy. Some will remove a 10+ and you just get the gun without, some will block the mag to 10, others have different policies. You have to ask.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No, MD FFL's can receive 10+ mags to sell to those exempt from the restriction. There is NOTHING that prohibits MD licensed FFL's from receiving 10+ mags, they are among the exempt.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    This probably isn’t a direct answer to your question but:

Unless it’s something old/rare or generally hard to find, or you stumbled upon the deal of the century, just buy from and support your local dealer. They will sort out any magazine issues whether ordering a model with 10 round mags or pinning it to 10 rounds for you.

I order online from time to time and unless it’s an older firearm or something hard to get, with shipping and transfer fees, it’s rarely worth it.

Plus it’s always good to develop a relationship with a local shop.

Now if you want to order online you will need to contact a local FFL ahead of time to make sure they will process your transfer. Some have no issues, some don’t like to deal with it. Don’t just order and pick an FFL without informing them.

Some online dealers will send mags greater than 10 with a gun to an FFL and the receiving FFL will have their own policy to remain legal for them and you. Some online dealers won’t send a gun with magazine greater than 10 to MD period. They may refuse the sale completely or remove the mags.

ETA: apparently I type slow…

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I receive them weekly and block to 10 rounds. I recommend to not buy from a seller that won’t ship mags unless the price is reduced enough to buy the missing mags.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Some distributors are idiots as well and won't send to FFL's. My FFL is having a hard time ordering a gun for me that is on the roster but only comes with 12's.

1BigHaze

Feb 27, 2022
    Pasadena
    This probably isn’t a direct answer to your question but:

Unless it’s something old/rare or generally hard to find, or you stumbled upon the deal of the century, just buy from and support your local dealer. They will sort out any magazine issues whether ordering a model with 10 round mags or pinning it to 10 rounds for you.

I order online from time to time and unless it’s an older firearm or something hard to get, with shipping and transfer fees, it’s rarely worth it.

Plus it’s always good to develop a relationship with a local shop.

Now if you want to order online you will need to contact a local FFL ahead of time to make sure they will process your transfer. Some have no issues, some don’t like to deal with it. Don’t just order and pick an FFL without informing them.

Some online dealers will send mags greater than 10 with a gun to an FFL and the receiving FFL will have their own policy to remain legal for them and you. Some online dealers won’t send a gun with magazine greater than 10 to MD period. They may refuse the sale completely or remove the mags.

ETA: apparently I type slow…
    You’re 100% right, I haven’t a clue why I didn’t automatically think about driving 5 min down the road? That wasn’t sarcasm
    My mind first went to doublechecking on this forum, and I was set on making my purchase today online. This’s embarrassing to admit, but I think the excitement of finally making the purchase, gave me tunnel vision, and commonsense went out the window. Whats sad, my FFL, it’s the same place I go locally on Mountain Rd, so I’d have to go there regardless. Last time I used them as my FFL, he even reminded me that his Gun Store sells firearms. LoL. Without a doubt, I definitely would’ve felt guilty purchasing something online, that he could’ve sold me locally. Thanks, for the shake, pathetic it wasn’t an automatic for me, definitely appreciate you getting me out of my tunnel vision!! BOL

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Some distributors are idiots as well and won't send to FFL's. My FFL is having a hard time ordering a gun for me that is on the roster but only comes with 12's.
    Don't know if he's within your range but talk to Brian at SCSG. He will help you if he can, within the law of course, and is popular with members here for good reason.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    A hike. I have bought from him in the past, but he's too far for something this simple and common.
    He's within an hour for me and unless he can't or won't do it, he's my preferred location for transfers. I have another SOT closer but that guy doesn't do handguns (he won't have the state police on his property).

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    You’re 100% right, I haven’t a clue why I didn’t automatically think about driving 5 min down the road? That wasn’t sarcasm
    My mind first went to doublechecking on this forum, and I was set on making my purchase today online. This’s embarrassing to admit, but I think the excitement of finally making the purchase, gave me tunnel vision, and commonsense went out the window. Whats sad, my FFL, it’s the same place I go locally on Mountain Rd, so I’d have to go there regardless. Last time I used them as my FFL, he even reminded me that his Gun Store sells firearms. LoL. Without a doubt, I definitely would’ve felt guilty purchasing something online, that he could’ve sold me locally. Thanks, for the shake, pathetic it wasn’t an automatic for me, definitely appreciate you getting me out of my tunnel vision!! BOL

All good lol. I had to look up what BOL meant so I guess I'm older than you. Even us older guys think online first for most things because we hate shopping... At the end of the day, you gotta do what's best for you.

Tyler Firearms isn't far from you so check them out too if your usual shop doesn't work out. If they can't get what you want and you need to do a transfer, their online process is second to none. Great group of folks there.

ETA: SCSG is great too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom