• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rleepremier

Feb 2, 2012
    So I ordered a can of federal 420rd 5.56 ammo but I just read somewhere that hap baker doesn't allow this ammo to be fired at the range. Is this true? Also what do you use for target shooting at hap baker? Planning my first visit in a week and now I don't know what to do. Thanks Ron

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Are you talking about 62gr M855 type ammo or 55gr M193 type ammo? I too have read that they don't allow the M855 ammo but I haven't confirmed that with any rage people.

Check the Industry partner section, someone should have some M193 ball available if the heavier stuff is a no go.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    M855 IS armor piercing. They don't ask or check but its against the rules.

No it isn't, M855 green tip and euro SS109 are "enhanced penetration ball", M995 black tip is 5.56 armor peircing. The difference is that M855 and a few other types of enhanced penetration ball use a mild steel penetrator in the core for a little better penetration on soft targets and higher BC for the weight. Most actual AP ammo (M995 included) uses a tungsten core. Last I heard steel core and steel jacketed ammo was OK at Hap, neither is classified as armor peircing

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    No it isn't, M855 green tip and euro SS109 are "enhanced penetration ball", M995 black tip is 5.56 armor peircing. The difference is that M855 and a few other types of enhanced penetration ball use a mild steel penetrator in the core for a little better penetration on soft targets and higher BC for the weight. Most actual AP ammo (M995 included) uses a tungsten core. Last I heard steel core and steel jacketed ammo was OK at Hap, neither is classified as armor peircing

This x100

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

I stand corrected. But it isn't allowed at FreeState for a fact.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I stand corrected. But it isn't allowed at FreeState for a fact.

11. Tracer, incendiary, armor piercing, and steel core ammunition are strictly prohibited.

You are correct. A few indoor and outdoor ranges don't allow steel core, steel jacket, or steel cased ammo. Steel cores and jackets can beat up baffles, or outdoors can spark on rocks, although minor, some ranges consider it a fire hazard. Other ranges sell the brass, and don't like steel cases getting mixed in. Many countries use steel instead of brass, copper and lead, although the purpose is mostly to save money, or to conserve limited metal resources, not necessarily for better penetration.

I don't get why people even like the XM855, but that's just me.

I have some, and a lot of british SS109 that was cheap when I got it years ago($125 per 880rd case), functions well, and runs relatively clean. It isn't as accrurate out of my ARs as M193/win Q2131, I guess the steel cores just aren't as concentric as lead, or the barrels just don't like them. I usually shoot my reloads though, win or Hornady 55gr FMJ if I want good cheap ammo, 69gr Sierra match kings if I want the best accuracy.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have some, and a lot of british SS109 that was cheap when I got it years ago($125 per 880rd case), functions well, and runs relatively clean. It isn't as accrurate out of my ARs as M193/win Q2131, I guess the steel cores just aren't as concentric as lead, or the barrels just don't like them. I usually shoot my reloads though, win or Hornady 55gr FMJ if I want good cheap ammo, 69gr Sierra match kings if I want the best accuracy.

I remember reading a while back that the specs for SS109 allow some variance for the steel core insert, as far as placement goes. The cores aren't inserted 100% in the same place for each round. This will throw the accuracy off.

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    So I ordered a can of federal 420rd 5.56 ammo but I just read somewhere that hap baker doesn't allow this ammo to be fired at the range. Is this true? Also what do you use for target shooting at hap baker? Planning my first visit in a week and now I don't know what to do. Thanks Ron

hap baker does not allow tracer or black tip armor piercing. green tip soft armor piercing is o.k. to shoot. be aware that if it is 62gr or 69gr, it will shoot slightly higher than the 55gr. so adjust your sight zero accordingly

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I've used M855 at HB before also. However, by choice I would go with M193 over the M855. I have found the M193 I've shot to be more accurate than the M855. Too bad there is a bit of a shortage on M193 and prices seem to be going up when retailers are back in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom