• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • anand14

Jul 24, 2012
    I had a pleasant visit to Hap Baker in Carroll County today. They were busy and I was five slots behind around noon. It took about 1.5 hours to get a lane on the firing line, but it was a great experience.

I took my Dad, who will turn 75 soon. He enjoyed shooting my C & R rifles.

He loved shooting my 1943 Swedish Mauser in 6.5 x 55. I have to admit it is a sweet shooter and very accurate. He was also better than me, which irked me a bit.

We also discharged about 60 rounds from my CMP M1 Garand. I had a few issues loading the enbloc clip but got the hang of it (This was my first time shooting the M1 Garand).

All in all, a great day to visit Hap Baker and spend some quality time with my old man.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    That is great, spend as much quality time with your father as you can, you will be glad you did. Memory's are one thing that can't be taken away make as many as you can.:thumbsup:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    One of my fondest memories was taking my father shooting for the last time. He was 75 and had a great time. Just a few short months later, he was gone.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Good going, sounds like you had a blast.

I plan to bring my dad up there soon so he can stop talking about how he hasn't shot his SKS yet :D

Protip: I've found out the hard way that it's better to go later in the afternoon... less busy and less waiting time.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    I'll be there tomorrow with some C$R handguns

i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

anand14

Jul 24, 2012
    That is great, spend as much quality time with your father as you can, you will be glad you did. Memory's are one thing that can't be taken away make as many as you can.:thumbsup:
    Thanks TexasBob. It was a lot of fun to shoot with him. As you said, I will remember this for ever.

anand14

Jul 24, 2012
    One of my fondest memories was taking my father shooting for the last time. He was 75 and had a great time. Just a few short months later, he was gone.
    Mooseman,

I am sorry for your loss. I am blessed that I still have him.

anand14

Jul 24, 2012
    Good going, sounds like you had a blast.

I plan to bring my dad up there soon so he can stop talking about how he hasn't shot his SKS yet :D

Protip: I've found out the hard way that it's better to go later in the afternoon... less busy and less waiting time.
    Thanks Multifaceted. I will take your advice and go in the afternoon to avoid wait times. The RSOs are very helpful and try their best to get people on lanes quickly.

anand14

Jul 24, 2012
    Another protip. Go with a friend to pass the time. Or a pistol. So you can use the handgun range.
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I am real stoked that the CMP made it possible for me to own a surplus rifle. God bless the USA and the CMP.

I do have a question for your C & R Garand gurus out there. The front hand guard was really hot after we shot about 40 rounds of Greek surplus ammo (150 grain). Wondering if that is normal?

Thanks

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Usually normal. That can be alleviated by removing the stock and handguard and either making it free floating or adding cork gasket material to the handguard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom