• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    The 2 second/shot rule is a problem for anything other than bench rest group shooting. Main reason I don't go there more often. It's boring.

eachurch1972

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2015
    Communist Republic
    Search is not working.

For folks who frequent Hap Baker. Is it worth membership? I shoot at AGC, but looking for a place to shoot mostly handguns closer to home. It takes 5 mins to gate to gate, another 20 to get to range, lol, anyway, for $300 for lifetime membership,,, thinking about it. Also, what happens if you move out of Carroll County, do you maintain your membership? Do they check ID for residency when you shoot?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Hap Baker is ****TRASH***** and the people that work there suck big time!!!

eachurch1972

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2015
    Communist Republic
    Signed up for a year, if I like it, lifetime next year.

If you like Hap Baker, wow, I would be amazed to be totally honest. I have been there several times and its a mess out there. You practically need 4x4 just to go down the road and the staff are awful people who need to retire. They will stand behind you with a stop watch and count your shots. If it is a little bit too "Fast" they are on you like white on rice. How is that fun?? I hope they close the hell down.

eachurch1972

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2015
    Communist Republic
    If you own NFA it can be a hassle. Some of the RSOs there feel they have legal authority to demand your tax stamps if you have NFA items. Since technically these are tax records, they have zero legal authority to demand them, but that doesn't stop them thinking they do.

Otherwise it's not too bad a range, although some of their rules to tend to reinforce my choice to just drive to Delmarva Sporting Clays instead. At least there I'm not hassled, *AND* there's a Sonic on the way home! :)

The RSO's there can SUCK IT!! They ruin what fun there is to be had at that place. AGC in Marriotsville is way better in all ways.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    The RSO's there can SUCK IT!! They ruin what fun there is to be had at that place. AGC in Marriotsville is way better in all ways.

Oh soooo many things better about AGC, that will remain my weekend range, but to grab the pistol, run 5-10 mins down the road after work, gonna give Hap a shot.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Probably not the right thread BUT where does anyone shoot in Frederick or Washington county in Md? I know Myersville has a catoctin gun club (members/guests). I believe there is also a Isaac Walton league in Frederick somewhere. Hendershots has a indoor range off of 40/I70. I'm just looking for mainly handgun ranges right now. Thanks

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Hap Baker is ****TRASH***** and the people that work there suck big time!!!

They suck because you decide not to follow their rules?

Makes sense....I'm guessing you have authority problems?

I've been there several times and never had an issue with any of the RSO's. It's not a tactical training facility and it doesn't advertise as that. They don't allow holster draws and want to limit your shots for safety and liability reasons. These rules are clearly posted. If you don't agree or you want a different style of shooting find a different range.

I've been there several times without issue. I've "bent" the 2 shots a second rule and never had a issue. I wasn't doing mag dumps like a fool because I was able to read and understand their rules.

It's a laid back slow pace range for folks to mostly sight in their hunting rifles. That's the reality of the spot. It's not a tacticool training range. Realize what it's there for and if it doesn't suit your needs carry on to another place.

eachurch1972

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2015
    Communist Republic

I've been there several times and never had an issue with any of the RSO's. It's not a tactical training facility and it doesn't advertise as that. They don't allow holster draws and want to limit your shots for safety and liability reasons. These rules are clearly posted. If you don't agree or you want a different style of shooting find a different range.

I've been there several times without issue. I've "bent" the 2 shots a second rule and never had a issue. I wasn't doing mag dumps like a fool because I was able to read and understand their rules.

It's a laid back slow pace range for folks to mostly sight in their hunting rifles. That's the reality of the spot. It's not a tacticool training range. Realize what it's there for and if it doesn't suit your needs carry on to another place.

Hahahaha yeah, it all me, I am just a terrible person. It's funny many people say the same thing about that place and their "staff" or Gestapo members. They are ridiculous out there. I will stick with AGC - they are not on your ass with a stop watch smack smack, 2 seconds, 2 seconds blah blah. If you are into that sort of nonsense stay out at trash baker and use 4x4 to get to the dump!!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Hahahaha yeah, it all me, I am just a terrible person. It's funny many people say the same thing about that place and their "staff" or Gestapo members. They are ridiculous out there. I will stick with AGC - they are not on your ass with a stop watch smack smack, 2 seconds, 2 seconds blah blah. If you are into that sort of nonsense stay out at trash baker and use 4x4 to get to the dump!!

You seem real mature.

I'm guessing it's your inability to read the rules that causes you stress...but it also might be just following the rules.

You seem like you'd be better off in life talking to someone who spent 8 years getting their masters in therapy.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Probably not the right thread BUT where does anyone shoot in Frederick or Washington county in Md? I know Myersville has a catoctin gun club (members/guests). I believe there is also a Isaac Walton league in Frederick somewhere. Hendershots has a indoor range off of 40/I70. I'm just looking for mainly handgun ranges right now. Thanks
    In Frederick city area, Heritage and The Machine Gun Nest are indoor ranges.

In addition to the outdoor range that you mention in Myersville, you can seek memberships at either Monocacy Pistol Club, Cresap Rifle Range, or the Isaac Walton off Reels Mill Rd in the Monocacy area. Cresap also has rifle and pistol shooting for the public from 10am to 3pm on Sundays for $5/lane and $1/target. All of the above are on public lands leased from the city or county. As such, they have their own particular restrictions as they want to ensure they continue with their leases. As an example, Monocacy allows controlled rapid fire and drawing from a holster (from 3 o'clock or forward), however they are not set up for centerfire rifles. Monocacy has a lot of competitive events on Sundays open to the public.

In addition, there's an outdoor club in Thurmont with lots of space, flexibility in what one can do, and popular IDPA and Cowboy Action Shooting events.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida

funny thing, I was chief range officer at Hap for 14 years and don't remember seeing a stop watch anywhere or ever requiring my rso's to use one. the only thing I ever concerned myself with was YOUR SAFETY. after all, isn't that's what it's all about.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I've been shooting at Hap for 20 years and have never had an issue with anyone shooting or any of the RSO's. I've been to every public range within 200 miles, and IMHO Hap is the best. If you want more freedom than join a private club. Public ranges should err on the side of safety and control.

eachurch1972

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2015
    Communist Republic
    funny thing, I was chief range officer at Hap for 14 years and don't remember seeing a stop watch anywhere or ever requiring my rso's to use one. the only thing I ever concerned myself with was YOUR SAFETY. after all, isn't that's what it's all about.

Come on, I didn't mean literally about the stop watch. Last time I was there, one of the old men working there was such a hawk it was ridiculous. I was NOT anywhere close to rapid fire or anything like that. I was going along with the 2 second mess and he was still all over me. That, is no fun for a customer, who pays $$ to come and shoot there. I am in no way reckless when it comes to firearms.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So I guess you are one of those types as well. People express their likes and dislikes about all sorts of things on here. I don't "whine" about anything. I am entitled to say what I like or dislike about whatever topic I care to. I love the pack mentality around here...
    Take it how you want, but when you rant on and on in a thread about your negative HB experience, come off as juvenile, and someone remarks that your behavior is leaving this impression, you go for a personal attack. And you're correct, contributors (the "pack") expect some decorum here, and if you're unable to maintain it, you'll be called on it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

:thumbsup:

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Kinda sounds to me..

...like your a spoiled elistist Dip Shit PUNK without a clue:tdown::tdown::tdown:

Rob

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Hap Baker History..

This is gonna be a bit short but the guy "Hap Baker" was a Member of a Gun Club and Range on Wine Rd off the new Bachman Vally Rd near Melrose, Carroll Co. Md. This was well before the current "Hap Baker" Public Range was opened.

The guy Hap Baker helped originize other Carroll Co Gun Clubs to lobby the Carr. Co. Goverment to allow a Public Shooting Range at it's currant site. This was after the Carr. Co. Gov. constructed the very 1st primitive back stop at it's current location.

The range was intially built for the MSP Troopers, Carr. Co. Sheriff & local P.D within the County to Qualify for firearms quarterly qualification.

Hap Baker recognized that the range could be and likely would be used on an as available basis by current County residents as long as it it didn't interfer with LEO. Hap Baker's lobbying as well as Public Support has produced the current Range.

Now having said that what I'm gonna say next is entirely and strictly directed at the "elistist Dip Shit PUNK" I referred to earlier.

I was a Maryland State Trooper from 1969 to 1994. I used to qualify with handguns at the backstop behind the MSP Barrack until about 1978.
    We used to go to the MSP Liberty Dam Range for Shotgun until we were allowed to seek in- county Gun Club Ranges to qualify. Hey "PUNK" Guess who allowed the MSP to use their Range, North Carroll Gun Club and Mayberry Gun Club

Then when Carroll Co. purchased and opened the Landfill they opened a a road and made a satisfacory 100 yard range with backstop. Not pretty, muddy, no cover and no concern to LEO's. We Qualify'ed. Hap Baker knew that Citizen Joe Carroll Co Bloke needed a place to do the same thing.

I know I said I'd keep this short but "EACHURCH1972" PO'd me big time
    I'm convinced he's at best a spoiled brat with a keyboard.

The "PUNK" Keywordboard" Warrior has absolutely NO RIGHT to denigrate what he has been privilaged to apparently have used. FH!!! and the Horse he road in on!!!:mad54::mad54:

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom