• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I am looking at both of these tumblers to start wet tumbling with stainless steel pins. I don’t do a huge volume of reloading, but want something better than vibrating tumblers to clean brass.

I know there are larger and more expensive options out there. Just was wondering how there tumblers worked for you.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Electrical things I would use often I would go with a known brand like Frankford. I use a lot of the HF knock off pelican cases for work and home. Any manual tools like wrenches, screwdrivers and such for around the house work no problem. Their electric stuff is hit or miss. I have burned up 4 palm sanders on little projects.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I had the shaft break on a HF tumbler , I was tumbling some steel parts not sure if it was my fault but I would not buy another. The drum just fell off.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I've read complaints about the Frankford Lite. I think people were "improving" them because it didn't tumble the brass very well. People were adding fins inside the drum or something like that.

I toyed with the idea of wet tumbling and decided to stick with dry. I don't use the lizard litter though, it's a bit too fine and dusty(I know, dryer sheets and yada yada yada). I use the coarser walnut medium and it polishes almost as well as pins. Steel pins seem to get the brass a little too clean(on the inside of the case mouths) for my liking.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Buy once cry once

That certainly made me cry. I got one of the cheap, red ones from Harbor Freight years ago, and it just won't die. I use it for baffles that shot an abundant amount of 22lr.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I own its bigger cousin (the FART), and a buddy has the FART lite. Both works perfectly fine, no SS pins or SS pins. SS pins for interior case wall and flash hole cleaning. 30 minutes with hot water, a dollop of car wash wax n'shine soap, and a 45 ACP scoop of citric acid works wonders. FA also has a no questions asked warrantee if they have it in stock so that's also a plus.

I went with the bigger one because I can tumble cases that will not nest inside each other, i.e. (223, 300 blk, 350L combo) all at once. Cases also come out alot cleaner when there is ample tumble space, so i only fill up my tumbler about halfway.

Last edited:

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have the HF dual tumbler. It has been great for the last 3+ years. I just Tumbled 60 pieces of 300 win mag
    last week. 30 pieces in each drum. No issues.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If you are a high volume shooter or value your time, I'd suggest the Rebel 17 over the Frankford/Thumbler. Go big or go home :) I dont have the time to do dozens of cases at a time. Heck, we've considered the Harbor Freight cement mixer to share between buddies but no one wants to store it.

If you flip one of the rollers on the Rebel it can actually be used with the smaller Thumler 3# drums. We've done that to polish rocks for the kiddo. That takes over a month of continuous running...

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I've had the HF single tumbler for about 5 years and so far no problems. I use the walnut media for cleaning brass. I run it for 6 or 7 hours. I'm not a fanatic about shiny brass so this does " good enough" for me. I used to just wash my brass with soap and water so this is an improvement over that!

ScottW

MDS Supporter
    Jul 16, 2022
    Cockeysville
    I have been using a Lyman wet tumbler for many years now without ever an issue. It does a fantastic job. One word of caution for you. When wet tumbling with the steel pins, the very edge of your case necks tend to get slightly dinged up a bit, from the pins hitting them. I have never found this to be an issue, but I know of shooters who have moved from wet tumbling, to ultrasonic cleaning because of it. Just a tidbit of info for you.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I am looking at both of these tumblers to start wet tumbling with stainless steel pins. I don’t do a huge volume of reloading, but want something better than vibrating tumblers to clean brass.

I know there are larger and more expensive options out there. Just was wondering how there tumblers worked for you.
    I am going ultrasonis as it meets my needs and my not meet yours and have done a pros/cons list.

Dry Tumbling

Pros

Dry vibrating tumblers are cheaper than rotary ones

No need for drying

Least expensive

Cons

Creates a lot of dust

Does not clean the inside of cases as well as wet tumblers or ultrasonic cleaners

Cannot be used to clean guns and their parts

Can take 2-3 hours to clean cases

Wet Tumbling

Pros

Gives a deeper clean and gets into the insides and primer pockets

Leaves cases shiny and like new

Does not create dust

Cons

Rotary tumblers allowing wet tumbling are expensive

Drying time is required

Cannot be used to clean guns and their parts

Lids/covers can leak

Typically, 1-2 hours to complete cleaning

Ultrasonic Cleaning

Pros

Gives a deep clean outside the case insides and the primer pockets

Leaves cases like new

Does not create dust

Guns and their parts can be cleaned

Can be used to clean jewelry

Typically takes only 15 minutes to clean

Cons

Ultrasonic cleaners can be expensive like wet tumblers

Drying time is required

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I have never bothered with tumbling in 25 years of reloading. I throw the cases in a 5 gallon bucket, a little citris shine and dawn and slosh it around for a few mins then let it sit and do it a few more times. Then same for a rinse or two. Then in a baking pan and low temp in the oven until dry.

Cases come out clean enough for me. Never had any issues at all.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks to all of you for the replies!
    I might be a little late to the party, but if it was me, I'd get the FA tumbler over the HF rock tumbler. Both would get it done, but we're talking about a cost difference of about $50 - I spend more than that taking my wife out to dinner on a Friday night for a meal that's just going to be pooped out within 24 hours.

I like the look and functionality of the FA tumbler - it's specifically designed to wet tumble brass for reloading, so it's probably a better setup.

That's if I was going to get into wet tumbling. I dry tumble and don't expect to change anytime soon.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Big FART on sale for 109 if anyone is interested Limited-time deal: Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler with 7-Liter Capacity, Clear Viewing Lids, and Auto Shut-Off for Reloading, Cleaning and Wet Tumbling Brass Cases https://a.co/d/hBV75Ka

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    So my 11 years old Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ tumbler started to break - the plastic inside the bowl around embedded nut started to chip out.
    I went to Harbor Freight in Gaithersburg to check their tumbler. Failed to find it myself and asked a worker. And was told one intersting story.
    The Montgomery County banned the sales of these tumblers because "some bad people used them to strip the serial numbers from firearms"!
    Just wow!

1671662213977.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom