• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    I need an electric motor for a DIY project. The motor will run for a couple of hrs. several times a year. Nothing major, hobby project not life saving.
    Here's my question.
    HF 1/2 hp $119 vs TSC 1/2 hp $189. Now with coupon I can save more on the HF model.
    I hate HF as a rule but! $70 is $70!
    Anybody have experience with HF or TSC motors?
    Thanks

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Harbor Freight are knock off engines and are sub par. They are a complete crap shoot. I know people who have bought them and they worked great, others not so much. Issues started pretty quickly. I dont believe replacement parts are readily available either, but I am not sure. There are tractor parts places like the you pull car places. I would start there instead of going the route of buying from either unless parts are readily available. The other option is to look on craigslist for a free mower/snowblower, etc that you can pull the motor off of. You can find them with other problems besides the motor. Riding mowers with rusted out or missing mower decks for instance. Someone from Catonsville I believe has posted several push mowers over the last few weeks with various problems.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That is probably the best 70 bucks you'd ever spend.

HF mechanical stuff is garbage.

Most of it made of cheap, soft, crappy, pot metal.

TSC prides itself on its quality.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    1/2 hp ... duh. My mistake.

Back to craigslist. Look for free treadmills, pull the motor off and trash the rest.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Had no idea treadmills ran 2.25 hp motors. 130 vdc, might have to look into that, infinate speed control also. Thanks

Yes, a good choice if you want variable speed. Need to include all of the control electronics and DC supply if separate. Sometimes boxing up all of that stuff up is a pain depending on your project.

I need an electric motor for a DIY project. The motor will run for a couple of hrs. several times a year. Nothing major, hobby project not life saving.
    Here's my question.
    HF 1/2 hp $119 vs TSC 1/2 hp $189. Now with coupon I can save more on the HF model.
    I hate HF as a rule but! $70 is $70!
    Anybody have experience with HF or TSC motors?
    Thanks

This qualifier is how I determine Harbor Fright or Not Harbor Fright. The infrequency of use would qualify this as a Horrible Freight purchase.

Harbor Fright
    Horrible Freight
    Hong Kong Freight
    Any others?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Here's my rule of thumb for harbor freight:

Hand tools that I'm going to use once, HF
    power tools I'm going to use once or occasionally, HF
    consumables, HF

anything I want to last and/or am going to rely on, no HF.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    TSC stuff is better then most. The last couple of small electric motors are still in use. We are in one of the store atleast once a week but then we have animals to feed and take care of. Great place to get your pet/animal meds from plus they have clinics for shots. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom