• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianrose80

Jul 8, 2010
    In leiu of todays event… currently if you have a wear and carry is it legal to carry on the Ma and Pa trail or is that considered a state park to which it would be illegal? Why are state parks off limits?

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    In leiu of todays event… currently if you have a wear and carry is it legal to carry on the Ma and Pa trail or is that considered a state park to which it would be illegal? Why are state parks off limits?
    It's not a state park.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The county bans weapons in their parks. Might be a town of Bel Air property, not sure. My folks live in Harford County and have tepeatedly been ignored by the "friendly" local politicians when they send messages about repeal of the ban in light of Bruen and the overall crime rate increase.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The historical record asks the same question. MSI is currently suing over the state park ban.

brianrose80

Jul 8, 2010
    The county bans weapons in their parks. Might be a town of Bel Air property, not sure. My folks live in Harford County and have tepeatedly been ignored by the "friendly" local politicians when they send messages about repeal of the ban in light of Bruen and the overall crime rate increase.
    Does the county “ban” supercede state wear and carry ?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Does the county “ban” supercede state wear and carry ?
    It's covered by an specific exemption to state pre-emption. Several of the local parks around here reference 4-209 in their posted rules regarding no firearms.

Universal Citation: MD. Criminal Law Code § 4-209 (2022)
    (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the State preempts the right of a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district to regulate the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of:
    (1) a handgun, rifle, or shotgun; and
    (2) ammunition for and components of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.
    (b) (1) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the purchase, sale, transfer, ownership, possession, and transportation of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section:
    (i) with respect to minors;
    (ii) with respect to law enforcement officials of the subdivision; and
    (iii) except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, within 100 yards of or in a park, church, school, public building, and other place of public assembly.

(2) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the teaching of or training in firearms safety, or other educational or sporting use of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section.
    (3) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the transportation of an item listed in subsection (a) of this section by a person who is carrying a court order requiring the surrender of the item, if:
    (i) the handgun, rifle, or shotgun is unloaded;
    (ii) the person has notified the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station that the item is being transported in accordance with the court order; and
    (iii) the person transports the item directly to the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station.
    (c) To the extent that a local law does not create an inconsistency with this section or expand existing regulatory control, a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may exercise its existing authority to amend any local law that existed on or before December 31, 1984.
    (d) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, in accordance with law, a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the discharge of handguns, rifles, and shotguns.
    (2) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the discharge of firearms at established ranges.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm not sure if it would stand up under pre-emption challenge. I'm just not that familiar.

@dblas do you happen to know?
    4-209(b)(1)(iii), of the Criminal Law Article, permits a city to regulate carry within 100 of or in a park.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Seemingly, the state and the counties want us dead. They're OK if the unarmed are killed as well, but those who would defend themselves must be disarmed.

Level playing field, don'tcha know?

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Seemingly, the state and the counties want us dead. They're OK if the unarmed are killed as well, but those who would defend themselves must be disarmed.

Level playing field, don'tcha know?
    It is easier to simply ban carrying. It require more effort from the government if a victim shoots someone in self defense.

That is my theory on it. They do it for connivence. Plus, they can boost themselves telling us pleabs need them more because of the extra crime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom