• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    This was told to my wife as she was taking our son and daughter out the door by our neighbor:

Apparently a tow truck arrived at one of the residents of my neighborhoods house and the man ran out waving around a handgun.

Harco Sheriff's were there.

Any information regarding this? Kind of pissed knowing an assclown like this is living 8 houses down but 2nd hand information is never very solid.

Thanks in advance.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Too bad about Woodbridge Center. We bought our first home, a townhouse there, when it was first put up. It was nice back then.

Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    I live in a townhouse. Bought it five years ago and have done considerable work and improvements to it.
    Expected the BRAC influx to make selling an easy option within four years of purchase. Unfortunately housing prices/sales are dependent upon the appraised value of other homes in your neighborhood. Some of the other homes were never taken care of, had bad tenants, etc. and this is killing us.

My neighbors are nice and I feel relatively safe but I can see the tide changing.

FR8TRN

Jan 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    I live in a townhouse. Bought it five years ago and have done considerable work and improvements to it.
    Expected the BRAC influx to make selling an easy option within four years of purchase. Unfortunately housing prices/sales are dependent upon the appraised value of other homes in your neighborhood. Some of the other homes were never taken care of, had bad tenants, etc. and this is killing us.

My neighbors are nice and I feel relatively safe but I can see the tide changing.

You'll also start seeing more of the BRAC come at the start of 2011, hopefully that will help bring housing prices up again. Right now there is alot of houses selling, but the prices aren't increasing with it, yet. My wife has been busier since Sept than she has over the last 3-4yrs, she has 3 closings for April already and 2 pending that she submitted yesterday, and 5 happening this month. Last year this time, she was happy to have 5 closings within 6 months.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Does anyone know the project of increased population growth due to BRAC?? Southern and Eastern Harford Co is going freaking BOOM here next year. We will be a major metropolitan area, I can guarentee it.

Beachtree Golf Club has been sold and will be all housing development. If you looking to sell in that part of the county, soon will be the opportune time. I would like to keep the sh*t and trash we are getting from the city to say out. Word is we are getting more subsidized housing on the Rt 40 corridor. Expect to see crime rise and housing values decline. Those are the trends since I've move to this county, i don't expect taht to change.

FR8TRN

Jan 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    Does anyone know the project of increased population growth due to BRAC?? Southern and Eastern Harford Co is going freaking BOOM here next year. We will be a major metropolitan area, I can guarentee it.

Depends who you talk to, you'll hear anything from 8K to 34K, with the majority coming in early 2011. More lean toward the upper end of the 20K range.

I think there will be alot of growth in the S. Harf Co area, but there are suppose to be alot of higher ranking and upper end support coming with this and they might be looking more in N. Harf Co. My wife has done several buying seminars with folks expected to move to the area from Northern NJ and they've really expressed interest in more open areas and upper end communities. Our current upper end pricing buys them almost nothing where they live now. I think this is the reason we'll see prices climbing as folks start moving in. Agents realize this is coming and will start pricing houses in anticipation, probably late this year. You'd be surprised how many people are buying around here right now that aren't scheduled to move til early 2011, they are getting while the getting is good. My place will hit the market when we start seeing the prices go up.

iriden

Apr 16, 2008
    Aberdeen, MD
    crap a bunch of yankees
    Maybe I should get ready to sell and try to move to southern york county or out west
    That's it I'll bid a job in western maryland or west virginia and GTFO

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Cecil County is expecting (and will get ) a nice bump in population. Rural, Cheap and without the "baggage" of Edgewood.

Some years ago I was the guy driving the towtruck impounding cars in Edgewood at 3:00 AM. Woo - Hooo what fun that was.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Hopefully Harford and Cecil will learn from St Marys and Calvert's mistakes from the mid-90s BRAC. Calvert tried to hold onto the 'we're a small town community' for far too long, and now they pay the price in horrible traffic. Doesn't help that a county commissioner owns a local hardware store and feels that prohibiting any new 'big box' stores in the county (Home Depot and Lowes are both interested in building, Walmart wants to expand to a Super Center) will protect his business.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I wonder what BRAC will do to the 1st districts political ratio. dems/repubs.
    Its close now, all these peeps from Jersey may push us way over the Edge to the Dem side. I bet Krapovil is wishing BRAC was complete already. :lol:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I wonder what BRAC will do to the 1st districts political ratio. dems/repubs.
    Its close now, all these peeps from Jersey may push us way over the Edge to the Dem side. I bet Krapovil is wishing BRAC was complete already. :lol:

how does the military and civilian employees vote historically. I figure they are more conservative even if they are from the Armpit of the Union

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I think you'll find a lot more Rs than Ds, they know which side authorizes more money for their programs and which side loves to cut them.

Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    Hopefully Harford and Cecil will learn from St Marys and Calvert's mistakes from the mid-90s BRAC. Calvert tried to hold onto the 'we're a small town community' for far too long, and now they pay the price in horrible traffic. Doesn't help that a county commissioner owns a local hardware store and feels that prohibiting any new 'big box' stores in the county (Home Depot and Lowes are both interested in building, Walmart wants to expand to a Super Center) will protect his business.

There is no learning curve. :)
    The contracting offices at APG are working out of trailers and moving people in shifts to accomodate them. These are the people that knew about BRAC first and nothing was done, to expect the State or Harco gov't to be proactive is a pipe dream. Of course at some point Rt. 40 can be designated as an offroad park and the county can charge people to watch monster trucks handle the 'CORRIDOR ON SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!!!' - Watch Gravedigger handle the 30ft. pothole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    wow, has rt 40 gotten that bad since I left ho co 10 years ago?

Yeah it has...

You know, the wife and I moved to Joppatown and it hasn't changed too much, but I can see a difference. Hell I grew up in Joppatown, I was three when we moved there in '78. Edgewood and Aberdeen had their "bad" areas, but nothing like today. I bought my first home in Woodbridge in '98 after coming home from the Navy and thankfully got out while the getting was good in '05. I remember one time hearing gun shots one night when I lived there.

Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    Yeah it has...

You know, the wife and I moved to Joppatown and it hasn't changed too much, but I can see a difference. Hell I grew up in Joppatown, I was three when we moved there in '78. Edgewood and Aberdeen had their "bad" areas, but nothing like today. I bought my first home in Woodbridge in '98 after coming home from the Navy and thankfully got out while the getting was good in '05. I remember one time hearing gun shots one night when I lived there.

Crap. I probably bought your house...................

Mikeyworks

Sep 20, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I like to think I have a bit of a unique perspective. I lived in SoMD around the last BRAC round and saw the fallout from that debacle. They're still trying to build their way out of it. Unfortunately, you can't pave your way out of congestion. Calvert County put their heads in the sand, and now they're paying for it.

Now, being back in HarCo (where I belong) I am watching the BRAC round from the Govt side of the table. I work for the Army Corps of Engineers and we're building the huge structures all over the region. Granted 7-11K government employees will come in to APG with C4ISR, but that's nothing compared to the NGA Campus at Ft. Belvoir. They're screwed.

Once it's all said and done, there will likely be about 15K new government employees coming in with the new BRAC construction and other MILCON projects going on at the same time. What's not factored into that though is the Contractor:Government ratio. Typically we'll see 2-3 contractors for every .gov person. Many of these folks will work at the new "Gate" office park outside the MD 715 gate. Others will fill out the underutilized spaces along US 40 through Harford, Cecil and northern Baltimore Counties. Granted, MD 715 is getting an upgrade that's a joint .gov/MD financed & executed project, but just fixing an interchange does not solve the problems. The feeders are going to be a problem. US 40 will see overload volumes, 22/24 are both going to get pounded, Rt 7 is going to be a parking lot, and the Hatem Bridge will likely see backups like we do during the current construction, even after that is done.

As stated above, many of those will really hit around September 2011 when BRAC is mandated by law to be completed. There's already lots of those folks here, but they're not settled in and many commute back and forth from NJ to MD until the transition is complete. They rent now, and will buy later when their families come down.

Housing prices will go back up. That's a given. Demand will increase, that I don't doubt, even in the slightest. I expect us to be back to 95% of the pre-bubble-bursting prices. What will keep prices down is the huge availability of new prices. There's a $hit-ton of new neighborhoods ready to be built to cater to these people and their PCS incentivized moves (govt. is paying to move most of these folks!!!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom