Has anyone heard of this light and light mount?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I have an Elzetta ZSM mount in my 500 Persuader. But I don't have their flashlight. Mine's a Polytac LED 120 lumen flashlight. I didn't pay for my setup anywhere near the price on the OP's web link. My light doesn't have to stay on. It has a 2-way switch. I have mine positioned so that I can be in shooting position, extend my index finger and touch the light's end cap button. Move index finger back, and light goes off. I was concerned about not giving away my position. I'd much rather the muzzle blast be the last light they see.

I'm sure that Chad is correct in that there a higher quality rigs, but for a budget rig it seems to work for me.

How much did you get yours for and where? I just posted the link to the Manufacturers web site.

And yes, to those interested in how there flashlights operate, they have about 5 different choices. In the shotgun application I would choose a rotatory tail cap with two modes. There is only a High mode and a Off mode. If you want the light to stay on, then you turn the tail cap clockwise. You can also turn the light on by pressing the tail cap button but you have to keep your finger on it. As soon as you remove your finger the light will go off. This is a non-clicky tail cap. This operation is considered by some to be tactically correct.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Chad,
    Does the bayonet lug need to be ground off for this light to fit? I would think not as it doesn't stick far forward, but I have no first-hand knowledge. TIA.

No, that will fit fine on the models with the bayonet lug. The light does not stick out of this forend.

Just a warning. I've done a lot of research concerning lighting solutions and I've heard a couple people say that the light that is mounted in this forend isn't very bright.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011

Damn... That's a very good price. I'm sure the light isn't as good as the Elzetta but Streamlight makes a very solid product and with this combo, you are pretty much getting the light for $30. I actually think I might go this route since the light will be used rarely. In your experience does this particular light create a tight beam or is it more of a wide angle illumination. Also does it only have two modes (on and off). I'd rather it not have a high/low mode.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Damn... That's a very good price. I'm sure the light isn't as good as the Elzetta but Streamlight makes a very solid product and with this combo, you are pretty much getting the light for $30. I actually think I might go this route since the light will be used rarely. In your experience does this particular light create a tight beam or is it more of a wide angle illumination. Also does it only have two modes (on and off). I'd rather it not have a high/low mode.

I expect it's more wide angle than tight. Not sure why that would matter much. There's no high/low setting.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I expect it's more wide angle than tight. Not sure why that would matter much. There's no high/low setting.

Well, the main reason why I like a tight beam is because of blinding capabilities due to the higher concentration of light. Also, depending on the distance (10 feet or less) the beam can be used as a point of aim.Generally though, a wide angle beam is recommended for shotguns (especially during outdoor applications.)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Well, the main reason why I like a tight beam is because of blinding capabilities due to the higher concentration of light. Also, depending on the distance (10 feet or less) the beam can be used as a point of aim.Generally though, a wide angle beam is recommended for shotguns (especially during outdoor applications.)

Meself id prefer wide angle in case of more than one BG.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Meself id prefer wide angle in case of more than one BG.

That's a good point. I do think you would get enough light spill from the beam to illuminate the rest of the room though. I have one flashlight that has such a tight beam that actually shows the shape of the LED on whatever your pointing it at instead of a circle. That provides enough light spill to illuminate a room while still having a beam dense enough to cut through a room of black smoke.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    That's a good point. I do think you would get enough light spill from the beam to illuminate the rest of the room though. I have one flashlight that has such a tight beam that actually shows the shape of the LED on whatever your pointing it at instead of a circle. That provides enough light spill to illuminate a room while still having a beam dense enough to cut through a room of black smoke.

Do you have a bright flashlight and any white painted walls?

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Kay. Turn off all lights and close windows pitch black is what were aiming for. Wait five minutes ish then point bright flashlight at wall report findings.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Kay. Turn off all lights and close windows pitch black is what were aiming for. Wait five minutes ish then point bright flashlight at wall report findings.

Light #1 = Fenix TK22. Findings = Tight beam of about 6 Inches circumference with sight spill circumference of roughly 6 feet. In other wards, I had a bright circle on the wall in the center and then light spill around that circle.

Light #2 =Surefire P2X (w/8 degree wide angle dispersion lens). = when shined on a white wall, there is no center focused beam. It acts like a flood light and creates one big circle.

Last edited:

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Light #1 = Fenix TK22. Findings = Tight beam of about 6 Inches circumference with sight spill circumference of roughly 6 feet. In other wards, I had a bright circle on the wall in the center and then light spill around that circle.

Light #2 =Surefire P2X (w/8 degree wide angle dispersion lens). = when shined on a white wall, there is no center focused beam. It acts like a flood light and creates one big circle.

Kay it should also blind ya for a sec. Till your eyes adjust. Wide dispersion lens alleviates that a little.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I've also thought about getting a tri-rail mount and adding a Streamlight TLR-3 to it. I don't know why I don't like the integrated forend lighting system but it seems like every one I see looks ugly. Which system do you like?

Let me know if you go the tri-rail mount...i've been unable to find the factory tri-rail mounts for sale anywhere. I'm trying to find one.

Also I think you and Chad are talking about two different things? You're talking about just a mount and he's talking about their lights? Besides, I don't know, I have haerd nothing but praise for any of their products. Plus I think, though I havent checked in a while, that they still use Malkoff dropins for their lights. And I do have experience with Malkoffs, and have nothing but positive things to say about Gene Malkoff and his lights/dropins.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I prefer streamlight. Ive had a Streamlight TLR1 on my glock 23 for over 3 years and its still on the original battery. Very tough build and plenty bright.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I decided on the Elzetta Mount with Streamlight G2X. I don't think this particular light is as good as the Elzetta light but it also costs be about $100 less. After thinking about it for a while, I'm not going to get a lot of use out of the light since it will only be used in HD situations so there is no point spending more money for it. If I was going to use it a lot then I would have easily went with one of Elzetta's lights. Seriously, I've read over a lot of material the past few days and for the money, you CANNOT find a better light.

I think this way is better than going the Streamlight TLR1 route when it comes to shotgun applications. You get a brighter light for the same amount of money and you also have the ability to remove it and use it as a normal flashlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom