• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    I have a new Hellcat Pro with a Trijicon RMRcc optic.

This is my first handgun with optics and honestly, I'm not a fan. It is not my carry. (My carry is a Beretta PX4 Storm SC).

Is there some trick to lining that pistol up so I can see the red dot? I raise the pistol and then struggle to see the dot (brightness not an issue)...the dot just isn't there. Takes me a bit to actually see it. When I lower it and bring it back to same position, once again I am fighting to see the red dot again.

Any suggestions?

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I have a new Hellcat Pro with a Trijicon RMRcc optic.

This is my first handgun with optics and honestly, I'm not a fan. It is not my carry. (My carry is a Beretta PX4 Storm SC).

Is there some trick to lining that pistol up so I can see the red dot? I raise the pistol and then struggle to see the dot (brightness not an issue)...the dot just isn't there. Takes me a bit to actually see it. When I lower it and bring it back to same position, once again I am fighting to see the red dot again.

Any suggestions?
    Blaster showed me a great training aide. Take the slide off of the frame. Attach a paper towel roll onto the frame and practice presenting the gun.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    This is why I dislike red dots on pistols. I just have more experience and practice using irons. Plus irons don't run out of batteries.

Red dots are great on target pistols, But on a defensive pistol I see them as a liability

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    Needs getting used to. What works for me is to not really focus on looking for that dot first; instead, I look for the front sight - like what I normally do (without the red dot). I find that 99% of the time, the dot will also be there. It helps if your iron sights co-witness. If that makes sense...

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    1moa dot size? Guessing....
    Even if it's 4 or 8 it's still hard to get it on target quickly. Could be that some pistols point better than others and may fix the issue. It's pretty much the same as getting your irons lined up quickly but when I can see the front sight it's easier to do. The OP may want to make sure the sight is lined up and on target also.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    Co-witness sights should help. If you can't easily find the dot, just use the irons as normal. You get used to it really quickly.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Does that RMRcc allow you to co-witness the fixed sights? If so, start by bringing the gun up and seeing if you're anywhere near on target with your initial point/alignment. If you're not in the neighborhood with the iron sights, you're not going to be with the red dot, either. This means practicing with the initial pointing until you're closer without checking any sights at all.

I had this problem with the little Romeo on my P365. At first. Started drawing with my trigger finger conscientiously along the frame/slide in parallel with the barrel, not at an angle. Then literally pointed my trigger finger at the target. The brain is usually very good at getting your finger to point at something on the first try. Sure enough, I quickly started seeing both the iron sights and the red dot very close to on the target without having to swim around looking for it. I naturally point full-size pistols surprisingly well. But it took me a while to get my little P365's grip/presentation to do the same thing (initially, I was pointing shockingly low and left with that small grip). Now it's natural, and there's that red dot looking right back at me. Point with that pointing finger, see what happens!

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    Does that RMRcc allow you to co-witness the fixed sights? If so, start by bringing the gun up and seeing if you're anywhere near on target with your initial point/alignment. If you're not in the neighborhood with the iron sights, you're not going to be with the red dot, either. This means practicing with the initial pointing until you're closer without checking any sights at all.

I had this problem with the little Romeo on my P365. At first. Started drawing with my trigger finger conscientiously along the frame/slide in parallel with the barrel, not at an angle. Then literally pointed my trigger finger at the target. The brain is usually very good at getting your finger to point at something on the first try. Sure enough, I quickly started seeing both the iron sights and the red dot very close to on the target without having to swim around looking for it. I naturally point full-size pistols surprisingly well. But it took me a while to get my little P365's grip/presentation to do the same thing (initially, I was pointing shockingly low and left with that small grip). Now it's natural, and there's that red dot looking right back at me. Point with that pointing finger, see what happens!
    Yeah cant co-witness...but you just helped me though...I held the position as if I was looking for the iron sights and there that dot was...gonna work this some more.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Blaster showed me a great training aide. Take the slide off of the frame. Attach a paper towel roll onto the frame and practice presenting the gun.

That was just his excuse when you saw the grip/cardboard tube in the bedroom. You need to line up perfect when aiming the Gerbil.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

That sounds like good advice. I’m off and on about acquiring site picture so I think I’ll try that. I was sitting in on a class that L5 was teaching and they recommended something similar. They were going over handling a gun, saying always build a habit of doing it the same, no matter what you were doing with it. One example they had was loading a magazine into the well. They recommended grabbing the mag such that your index finger was pointing up along the front side of it, towards the tip of the bullet and then pointing to the bottom of the grip and letting your finger tip naturally point to and feel the edge of the magazine well.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD

Yup, already see a huge improvement. Thank you!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Squeeze your pinky/ring finger. For me, it helped settle the red dot right into my view. Aside from that, just lots of dry fire practice with establishing a good grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom