Have you seen Colion Noir make fun of competition shooters .40cal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I mean he could be an honorary MDS for making sexual references to the .40. He does so within the first .38 seconds. And Michelle Viscusi is a charming Limited shooter who is eye candy...IMHO.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I find it very amusing that while folks constantly lampoon the .40 and call it the “ghey round”… they also complain about how much more it hurts their hands, than that 9mm, when they fire it. :shrug:

1 mm larger… and they can’t handle it. Oh the pain. :lol2:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    OK... can I ask a semi-serious question about .40. I don't understand the hate towards the round. I myself am not a huge fan and don't see the real need for a half step between 9mm and 10mm (I am a fan of both of those). If the premise is that it's not a .45 level of full throated soul ripping violence, then shouldn't 9mm get even more scorn?

I'm just not getting it. It has more punch than 9mm and I don't think anyone here is willing to say that a 9mm is a sissy round. Heck, I usually carry a .380 and there may be some level of justifiable push-back on that round, but I usually carry small and am willing to sacrifice a little bit of power and penetration for the ease of carry and the ability to have something with me in just about every circumstance (and I'm reasonably confident in my ability to put one in the T box at threat distances with it if God-forbid I ever need to).

Just don't get the .40 hate. I only have two guns chambered in it and I probably won't buy any others, but I don't criticize anyone who chooses it. I sure wouldn't want to be shot by one.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    OK... can I ask a semi-serious question about .40. I don't understand the hate towards the round. I myself am not a huge fan and don't see the real need for a half step between 9mm and 10mm (I am a fan of both of those). If the premise is that it's not a .45 level of full throated soul ripping violence, then shouldn't 9mm get even more scorn?

I'm just not getting it. It has more punch than 9mm and I don't think anyone here is willing to say that a 9mm is a sissy round. Heck, I usually carry a .380 and there may be some level of justifiable push-back on that round, but I usually carry small and am willing to sacrifice a little bit of power and penetration for the ease of carry and the ability to have something with me in just about every circumstance (and I'm reasonably confident in my ability to put one in the T box at threat distances with it if God-forbid I ever need to).

Just don't get the .40 hate. I only have two guns chambered in it and I probably won't buy any others, but I don't criticize anyone who chooses it. I sure wouldn't want to be shot by one.

Long running joke here...ghey was chosen out of thin-air, I believe.

The thinking is .45 is heavy, "man stopper" with 7-8 capacity and 9mm is wimpy with tons of rounds in the mag. So, who needs something in between? Must be ghey, eh?

I'm guessing you think it's the best of both worlds and that's fine. Get angry about it and we'll ask you if your pantyhose are too tight.

Nosce Hostem

MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2016
    Northern Balt. County, MD
    Long running joke here...ghey was chosen out of thin-air, I believe.

The thinking is .45 is heavy, "man stopper" with 7-8 capacity and 9mm is wimpy with tons of rounds in the mag. So, who needs something in between? Must be ghey, eh?

I'm guessing you think it's the best of both worlds and that's fine. Get angry about it and we'll ask you if your pantyhose are too tight.

Those aren't pantyhose, they are medical support stockings, they just happen to have lace at the top, its called class

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I am a proud ghey 40 shooter at present. I have gained some knowledge of using handguns from revolvers to semi's in different calibers. During my initial attempts at becoming proficient by trial and error, I have mostly used 22's, 38/357, 44 and 45acp. However, when looking for my next handgun, I had numerous options the day I attended an auction. By day's end, I managed to score a decent deal on a Gen 2 Glock 23C.

Believe it or not, I am scratching my head on how long ago that was, and I think it is approaching 8 years. I finally got to shoot it for the first time last week. The results spoke for themselves as the holes in the paper were really grouped decently for a first time effort. My goal was mostly to get an idea on if the gun and I could get an idea how we meshed and to knock the rust off my lack of handgun practice maybe 8-10 years prior.

So, once I got my first few shots off with my familiar 45 ACP, I switched to the 23C. At this time I was being shown proper and simple grip and support hand form. This procedure had me going from low ready to point and fire, regain same point, fire, repeat till mag empty and then assess the results. At about 7 yards, the holes were in nice vertical pattern and in an area I could likely cover with as large as my open hand or fist.

Very little felt recoil was even perceived, and certainly good enough to qualify on a TEST fire for permit.
    SO, I give my first 40 S & W experience a 10/10

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    .40 has always received some scorn because some shooters felt the FBI should have just stuck with 10mm. Being a lower powered version of 10mm, they automatically assigned it an identity of being Small and Weak.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    .40 has always received some scorn because some shooters felt the FBI should have just stuck with 10mm. Being a lower powered version of 10mm, they automatically assigned it an identity of being Small and Weak.
    th

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom