• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    This would be for off duty and would be unrestricted. The only thing they would need is proof that they are employed and a clean background check

I'm torn.

On one hand I totally agree with you. Treat all people equally (A wild concept for Democrats, I know)

On the other hand....death by 1000 cuts works both ways. If this passes (I know it won't) it'll show there are no increases in murders because of it and it makes it easier to expand it out to more people later.

I think this is good for everyone in the long run . It is not totally fair or partially fair but maybe a step or two closer . Some things are baby steps .

It seems "divide and conquer" is being exploited to the max.
    MSP LD and MGA pols: "Maybe if we give out a few more permits those pesky protesters will get mad at the permit holders and forget we're the ones denying them their civil rights..."

I suspect they're worried about the USSC slapping their pee pee, and are blowing smoke in anticipation.

And yes, Stoveman, we're keeping up. The bill will die in committee, just like before. Try to stay awake.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Won't go anywhere - submitted by Republicans. This might be a play from the long-game on the part of the R's though - show that the Dims don't support any public safety personnel.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Yeah, I love that you must be "employed" like the risk magically goes away because you are no longer "active".

I can tell you the "Men in Black" did not erase my memory when I retired from .gov....and that probably has something to do with that pesky Lifetime Non-Disclosure agreement that was in my retirement papers.

It’s a stumper, ain’t it!

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    It is sad that some don't see some slight movement within CC or MSP policy . I am not sure why or how or by whom , but just a little while ago restrictions were removed . I would never say no thank you I want it all , I am okay with movement in a positive direction even if it is slow .
    Hopefully there is a legal deal that our state is afraid it will not be able to hold off the courts in smacking their collective pee/pee's

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I've been told by a patient who stated that he is a gun owner that was not happy because he was being shifted from IV pain medications to oral medications "that if the medications did not work he would come back armed after he is discharged and I would be sorry."
    I told him that statements like that make other gun owners like myself look bad. His demeanor changed after that.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I am a career firefighter and I was lucky to get a permit because I had a documented threat on the job. Weather I can renew on that same threat will be a different story. I It is highly unlikely that the man who made the threat will act on it but some stroke of luck I was able to satisfy G&s with a police report. It would be more likely that my wife who is law enforcement and had to serve a red flag firearms surrender order, (even though she highly disagrees with the law, the fella she served it to definitely did not belong owning a gun) could pose some small amount of danger to me or my family.

A bunch of us from the firehouse applied at the same time and they all got denied. However after appealing it they all got their permits under assumed risk. That was two years ago though.

I feel this bill is a step in the right direction but to be honest, I feel like any law abiding citizen of this state has the right to self protection. Even if I didn’t have a permit I would feel the same way. I do not oppose this bill I just wanted to share my opinion on it. What makes me any different than a person enjoying some time with there family at the inner harbor?

Edit: that’s just an example by the way lol. Not like anybody in there right mind would want to take there family to the harbor these days.....

Last edited:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I am a career firefighter and I was lucky to get a permit because I had a documented threat on the job. Weather I can renew on that same threat will be a different story. I It is highly unlikely that the man who made the threat will act on it but some stroke of luck I was able to satisfy G&s with a police report. It would be more likely that my wife who is law enforcement and had to serve a red flag firearms surrender order, (even though she highly disagrees with the law, the fella she served it to definitely did not belong owning a gun) could pose some small amount of danger to me or my family.

A bunch of us from the firehouse applied at the same time and they all got denied. However after appealing it they all got their permits under assumed risk. That was two years ago though.

I feel this bill is a step in the right direction but to be honest, I feel like any law abiding citizen of this state has the right to self protection. Even if I didn’t have a permit I would feel the same way. I do not oppose this bill I just wanted to share my opinion on it. What makes me any different than a person enjoying some time with there family at the inner harbor?

Edit: that’s just an example by the way lol. Not like anybody in there right mind would want to take there family to the harbor these days.....

That is what the political forces in Maryland don't want to admit, the more law abiding people who can legally carry, the safer it would be to take the family to the inner harbor, criminals don't like armed victims. People who will defend themselves.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It would be more likely that my wife who is law enforcement and had to serve a red flag firearms surrender order, (even though she highly disagrees with the law, the fella she served it to definitely did not belong owning a gun) could pose some small amount of danger to me or my family.

Why not? Seriously curious.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    ....and why not petitioned for a Psych hold???

.....'cause if he's too "dangerous" to have a gun, what about the car, the kitchen knives, the sharp garden tools.....and hundreds of other.....oops forgot who I was talking to.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It is sad that some don't see some slight movement within CC or MSP policy . I am not sure why or how or by whom , but just a little while ago restrictions were removed . I would never say no thank you I want it all , I am okay with movement in a positive direction even if it is slow .
    Hopefully there is a legal deal that our state is afraid it will not be able to hold off the courts in smacking their collective pee/pee's

I sympathise with your desire to read increased positive influences in these restriction issues. I suspect it was entirely due to MSI/Pennak 5th Amendment/Civil Rights issues brought up at the late Handgun Review Board. It became obvious that restrictions as applied would not pass court scrutiny. They're just trying to minimise obvious stupid stuff, in preparation for the court battles to come.

It's not because of any growth of sympathy to our position - they hate us even more than ever because we've forced their hand.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I sympathise with your desire to read increased positive influences in these restriction issues. I suspect it was entirely due to MSI/Pennak 5th Amendment/Civil Rights issues brought up at the late Handgun Review Board. It became obvious that restrictions as applied would not pass court scrutiny. They're just trying to minimise obvious stupid stuff, in preparation for the court battles to come.

It's not because of any growth of sympathy to our position - they hate us even more than ever because we've forced their hand.

I know they hate us , I really never said the sympathize with us as gun owners .
    They hate the ground we stand on as well as our way of life and pursuit of happiness
    It is strictly a legal maneuver .

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County

.....'cause if he's too "dangerous" to have a gun, what about the car, the kitchen knives, the sharp garden tools.....and hundreds of other.....oops forgot who I was talking to.

Dude was apparently a serious scum bag. From what I know the final straw was threatening to shoot his ex wife among other things. He apparently had a history of skating out of firearms related charges in the past including shooting his neighbors two dogs. The kind of guy who gives gun owners a bad name.

Look I’m completely against violating somebody’s 2nd amendments rights because of a stupid law but we can all agree there are people out there who are not convicted criminals that shouldn’t be around sharp objects let alone guns.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

Dude was apparently a serious scum bag. From what I know the final straw was threatening to shoot his ex wife among other things. He apparently had a history of skating out of firearms related charges in the past including shooting his neighbors two dogs. The kind of guy who gives gun owners a bad name.

Look I’m completely against violating somebody’s 2nd amendments rights because of a stupid law but we can all agree there are people out there who are not convicted criminals that shouldn’t be around sharp objects let alone guns.

There are people out there, that if the justice system did it's job, wouldn't be. If he hadn't "skated" i.e. the Justice system did it's job, he would most likely be prohibited, but hey I'm still talking to the choir, while my rights are continuously flushed.....

The failure of the justice system is exactly why he's not a convicted criminal.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    There are people out there, that if the justice system did it's job, wouldn't be. If he hadn't "skated" i.e. the Justice system did it's job, he would most likely be prohibited, but hey I'm still talking to the choir, while my rights are continuously flushed.....

The failure of the justice system is exactly why he's not a convicted criminal.

. I agree completely that the flaws in our justice system allowed this man to keep his firearms. It’s unfortunate that we have to have our rights continuously flushed in order to take the guns out of the possession of a man such as that.

My point of bringing that up wasn’t that I was agreeing the red flag law did its job. It was more of a concern as a spouse of a street cop being ordered to enforce a law that could cause a person to turn violent because they feel they are unjustly being stripped of there rights.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I could give a rat's @ss about what you think of this bill. But if I were a fireman, EMT, Nurse, Physician, Physician Assistant, Church security member, or Parole officer I would be in Annapolis on Wednesday and tell them that you need that permit and stop listening to the whinners that don't go out and start a part time business so they qualify.

I am tired of the people who say the state is bad and don't do anything but talk. I didn't see too many of you last week to try to protect the FFl's. I was there. There are four seat that were lost by a total of 1200 votes. Why not get some voter registraion cards and get 1201 people to swing those for seats.

I feel your pain but if all you do is sit here and say how bad it is then nothing will be done.

How many of you are backing the 2A county sanctuary movement. It might not do anything but tell the state how we feel and that is good enough for me.

I will be at the wicomico county council sanctuarymeeting for Tuesday at 6pm if you would like to tall in person.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I agree more people need to take action and not just complain, I agree everyone who can should be applying for the permits, I also recognize some people cannot be as active as they wish sue to jobs, life, etc.

The more "titles" they give unrestricted the bigger the foot in the door. We need to now push on the door hard to get it open the whole way. The first person denied an unrestricted permit needs to file a law suit based on one person legally being treated differently.

We will always complain, human nature.
    TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom