• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As usual I am struggling with interpreting the amendments.

At a high level it appears that they are removing the language of defining a transfer as a loan and inserting “sale, rental or transfer” in its place.

Later on it looks like the Chow decision language is being inserted. Meaning that temporary loans, gratuitous or not are okay so long as you don’t believe the person to be prohibited or will be using the firearm in a crime.

Also allowing transfers between step grand parents and their step grandchildren.

Some inheritance type language.

Reducing the penalty to 6 months.

Requiring FFLs to charge no more than $30 to facilitate a transfer (is that ALL transfers? Or just long guns? Fuzzy on that)

Is that pretty much covering it?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    The bills should be on the Senate floor tomorrow at 10am given HB4 was laid over until 3/5 and SB208 was special ordered for 3/5.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    It cleared both chambers but failed last year. Not done yet

Pray that Atterbearys ego won’t let the lone provision go and that it gets killed to spite her. I hate even thinking that this could pass but I can always hope she’s stupid enough to sabotage it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I see the Amish amendment returned in the bill.

ETA: seems like we are virtually in the same place with bill as we were last year. Hard to tell until 3rd reader, but its looks the same.

Thankful for the reminder from Annapolis not to loan a gun to some whom I know intends to commit a crime. I guess some people need to be told.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    So they are out of committee and on the floor for vote with amendments? Am I reading that correctly? Basically we are getting some form of this chit bill this year? :sad20:

HB4 and SB208 are out of the Senate JPR and will be voted in the Senate today sometime after 10am, barring additional floor actions. Amendments may be considered on the floor today. I expect the bills to pass if they are voted today. They'll likely suspend the rules and advance the SB208 to Third Reader and vote. If that vote passes, they will need to pass over to the House next. (Tomorrow). If floor actions delay, that means we'll see the House show next week unless they have Saturday sessions.

SB208 will be assigned to House JUD. The House will need to vote to accept (concur) or reject the amendments to HB4. If they reject, then they can either send a message to request withdrawal of amendments or go to conference. Since Del. Atterbeary has already publicly talked conference, that is the path I see here. This show is not over by any stretch.

I'm not an expert on this process, so anyone who sees something to tweak above can have at it. I've followed them for a few years, but they always seem to surprise me now and then with creative rule usage.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    HB4 up now again. Sen Smith has additional amendment. The $30 changed back to "reasonable fee". Tying up the loose end. Adopted. Ordered passed for Third Reader.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    SB208 up again. FAV report and 12 amendments up. Discussion. Sen. Smith says it's closing a loophole and is "tip of the iceberg we're not sure of". He's saying, "We've taken care ... It's adding parity with regulated guns."

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    "adding parity" to how regulated firearm transfers are handled. Cannot give a straight answer as to what problem the bill addresses.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    SB208 amendment being distributed. (religious exemption)

Discussion: Sen. Kelley: "What is to stop someone from creating their own religion?"

Amendment adopted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom