• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Looks like they are advancing this one. It was reported out of JUD as favorable with amendments. No Senate cross-file of this one.

HB35 [BILL TEXT PDF] - Hearing 1/22 Video - Favorable Report with amendments - JUD Committee vote - In the House - Special Order until 3/12

This is an early warning. At some point the results of this study may be used to require installation of tracking devices that don't exist into your firearms (or relocate them out of Maryland).

Last edited:

dremort

Jun 6, 2018
    Eastern Bloc MD
    This is like the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Hello, back door gun registration.

So do I need to write an email for each bill? Is that more effective?

dremort

Jun 6, 2018
    Eastern Bloc MD
    I also wonder what Illinois or California government officials have stakes in these so called firearm gps companies. Of course, that wouldn't be the reasoning behind any of this.

Not to mention that something like this would be so easy to get around for any criminal.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This is like the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Hello, back door gun registration.

So do I need to write an email for each bill? Is that more effective?

Actually, yes. And yes, it is, each contact gets filed for each bill. If you do an "omnibus" e-mail, it will get filed in a general file and not a specific bill file in their respective offices.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    The entire pretext of this bill is insane. People don't understand GPS. There is no such thing as a GPS transmitter, only GPS receivers. The GPS receiver logs your location, but you must have a cell phone data transmitter to send your location to some central tracking location. GPS receivers don't send anything. So, you would have to have a cell phone connection/number for each firearm. If even possible to implement, big brother would be tracking every movement of my firearm. Well sort of, because the other thing that people don't understand about GPS is that it requires clear line of sight to the satellites. If you have your gun in a closed case, it can not receive a GPS signal and if you are in your house, it can not receive a GPS signal. If you have your gun in a holster and your body is between the gun and the satellite, you can not receive a signal. A single leaf on a tree is enough to block the signal. Speaking of tracking, this stinks of violations of my privacy. Wasn't Roe v. Wade based on a right to privacy? Besides, I'm not sure that 6 inch tactical GPS antenna have picatiny mounts. I understand that the bill implies that it would be like a Lowjack device in case it is stolen or lost, but I don't trust them to not be tracking me all the time. I also understand that you can track a cell phone from the towers without GPS but it isn't very accurate in its position location.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So, this type of bill came up back in 2014. A simple demonstration of a cellphone wrapped in aluminum foil preventing the signal from getting in/out at the hearing was fairly effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom