• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XJscott

Mar 8, 2012
    Baltimore
    alright so i did some looking around on this but had no luck finding a clear answer.
    my question is can you buy a regulated lower and place a non regulated HBAR upper on that lower and the riffle be considered a non regulated rifle? (is it even possible or safe to do this combination). I ask because i am 18 and was wondering if my dad could purchase the lower and upper and then when the rifle is assembled be switched to my name.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    There is no clear cut answer to this. The law doesnt address the issue and could really go either way.

HBAR isnt regulated. A lower, by MD law, doesnt appear to be regulated however just about EVERY shop is going to sell it as regulated.

Does taking a HBAR and putting a non HBAR upper on it make it regulated all the sudden? Does taking a non Hbar and putting a HBAR on it make it non regulated? There is no solid answer.

Most will submit that if you had to do regulated paperwork on it when you bought it that it should be sold regulated no matter what upper is attached. And that's probably the safest way to do it.

Honestly...there are plenty of relatively cheap HBAR's out there....I'd get a solid HBAR from the start to avoid headache.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    the answer is no. the lower is regulated and once bought regulated, will always be that way. if you want an hbar, you have to buy a complete gun.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    the answer is no. the lower is regulated and once bought regulated, will always be that way. if you want an hbar, you have to buy a complete gun.

While I believe this is the safest way, what proof are you citing for this?

Have there been a case on this? The way the law is wrote it does not account for this. So it would have to be decided based off of case law. I'm not aware of any and never seen one posted.

I do agree though...to avoid issues that's the way to do it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just ask yourself : is it more important to me to own a nonregulated rifle , or to be a test case ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom