Feb 22, 2010
    Or does it matter?

A 20" would only give 1 extra round.

Thanks for your input

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Opinions vary, but my thinking is that if you plan to be traipsing around your home with a shotgun (I wouldn't....instead, hunker down in your safe(est) room, ring 911 and wait for the cavalry to arrive), keep the barrel as short as possible and kit it out with a [painfully] pointy muzzle break. If you expect to be having dealings with more distant "guests", use a semi-auto rifle with a good sight/scope.

Happy Hunting!

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    For home defense I would go as short as possible. I'm an advocate of shell capacity. My 8+1 590 is my go to HD shotgun but an Urban Broom would fit the bill as well. If your house has old narrow halls and smaller dimensions a big long gun won't do the corners well unless you trained that way. An 18 coachgun is another choice if it's only purpose is to get you to the other, higher capacity, gun safely.

My 590 will get me to my SOCOM 16, if that doesn't work I'll have to call for air support...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have an 18.5 " 870. I added a +2 magazine extension. Got the capacity of a longer barrel gun while keeping the barrel at a more usable length for inside use.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    I recently finished a Mossberg 590A1 project and debated the same thing for a while. I ended up going with the 18.5 inch version. I purchased a +2 extension from S&J Hardware and can now run 7+1. Threw a side saddle on there and I feel like I have plenty of firepower for an HD scenario. I do not regret my decision to go with the shorter barrel.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    I recently finished a Mossberg 590A1 project and debated the same thing for a while. I ended up going with the 18.5 inch version. I purchased a +2 extension from S&J Hardware and can now run 7+1. Threw a side saddle on there and I feel like I have plenty of firepower for an HD scenario. I do not regret my decision to go with the shorter barrel.

+1, my exact setup, but thinking about going with a shorter LOP stock.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pump and semi shotguns have a really long action by design, coupled with long LOP stocks for clays and birds, so shorter is better IMO. Figure an 18.5" 870 measures around 39" OAL, compared to around 30" for a 16" AR with collapsed stock. Shortening the stock and getting rid of some bulk helps as much or more than the 1.5" difference in barrel length too, although going down to the pistol grip only makes it an unwieldy beast that is far more limited IMO, and still about the same length as an AR. If you are running a shotgun, most of the training and practice revolves around loading, for the most part you want as much capacity as you can get without adding an extension longer than the barrel(unless setting up a competition gun), so you will be limited between 5-8 rounds with slow reloads, so getting good at it becomes far more critical than it would if you were running a rifle with 5 times the capacity.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    +1, my exact setup, but thinking about going with a shorter LOP stock.

Hogue makes a 12" LOP stock. I have one on my Winchester 1300.
    18" barrel with 7 in the tube and the shorty stock makes a nice little package.
    One thing I like about the 18" barrel is I can hold the gun at my side with one hand and it doesn't hit the ground.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    One thing I like about the 18" barrel is I can hold the gun at my side with one hand and it doesn't hit the ground.

I put the Hogue stock on my 870 and for me, it's a hair too short. However, the standard 870 stock leaves my pump arm completely extended.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

An inexpensive alternative would be something like the youth model of Remington 870 Express in 20 gauge. Should be perfectly adequate for home defense, one can get extension tubes for more rounds, and it's very quick handing, with a short overall length, shorter length of pull (which is adjustable on this 870 Express), and more limited recoil.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    :thumbsup: Not sure which stock you're running right now, but I have a brand new SpeedFeed stock set for the 590 for sale in the Classifieds... ;)

:thumbsup: Thanks, but already running the regular stock (same 14" LOP as speedfeed). Using a SpecterGear 6 shell buttstock holder, and a velcro side-saddle with shell cards. I think I'm just going to cut the stock down an inch and see how that works. That Hogue 12" may be a bit too short.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    :thumbsup: Thanks, but already running the regular stock (same 14" LOP as speedfeed). Using a SpecterGear 6 shell buttstock holder, and a velcro side-saddle with shell cards. I think I'm just going to cut the stock down an inch and see how that works. That Hogue 12" may be a bit too short.

Gotcha. I put a Magpul SGA on mine and I'm really digging it so far. Right now I've got no spacers in it, which I believe puts it around a 12" LOP. Takes a little getting used to, but I like having a similar short LOP as my AR.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've used 18" to 21" shotguns and honestly there isn't a nickel's worth the difference to me between an 18" and 20". I am using a 20" Mossy now because I prefer the controls and that is what is needed to get the increased capacity in a Mossberg. I like the additional weight out front a little more also. I find the sighting system more of a concern than an extra 1.5" to 2" of barrel.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I personally wanted the shortest possible option for my HD shotgun. I chose the 18.5" barrel 590A1 and added the S&J mag extension. Now it's 7+1. After putting the magpul stock on it, it's a full 4.25" shorter than my 20" 590.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 462

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    18.5" is nice, but don't try to take it to PG Trap and Skeet like I did. :D

don't try to take a collapseable pistol gripped stock there either. Apparently it's too scary and they won't let you shoot, even with a 28" vent ribbed barrel on the gun. :mad54:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=150754
    10256994_10100375999057051_5243377933655603761_o.jpg

They wouldn't let me shoot with the 870 outfitted like in the above picture.

I do like the 18.5" barrel for HD though. It's a little easier to move around with. technically, you could always put a +3 extension on anyway and it wouldn't interfere with anything if the +2 isn't enough...although it would protrude beyond the barrel.

870 and AR.jpg

Here's a size comparison of my 16" middy AR and the 870...not too far off from one another. It is nice to have the 30+ shots in the AR if I need them though.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    I personally wanted the shortest possible option for my HD shotgun. I chose the 18.5" barrel 590A1 and added the S&J mag extension. Now it's 7+1. After putting the magpul stock on it, it's a full 4.25" shorter than my 20" 590.

Great minds think alike it seems... :party29:

Attachments

• 5.14.15.jpg
      5.14.15.jpg
      46.8 KB · Views: 409

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I do like the 18.5" barrel for HD though. It's a little easier to move around with. technically, you could always put a +3 extension on anyway and it wouldn't interfere with anything if the +2 isn't enough...although it would protrude beyond the barrel.

I have a 22" barrel on my 11-87, the tube extender hangs about 1" past the end of the barrel. No issues (yet) and I've shot a few hundred magnum loads through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom