• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I just picked up a cantelever rifled slug barrel from tss1004 , (great guy to do business with btw), and as I was cleaning it and putting on a red dot today, my mind hatched a silly question.

Once the red dot is zeroed, is there any benefit to using that barrel as the HD set up with 00 buckshot? I have a 18.5" cyl barrel w/ a bead sight that I keep on it for HD use, but since I can keep the red dot on the rifled barrel, I'm thinking it might almost make more sense to keep that barrel on and keep it loaded with 00.

Or am I losing any advantage the red dot provides with the extra weight and loss of manuverability with the longer barrel?

Mossy 500 if it matters.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I prefer the 18" on my HD shotgun. However I don't plan on maneuvering unless its a worst case scenario. Call 911, hunker down and cover a choke point/fatal funnel. No reason to go do something fool hardy. HIDE!

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Down side is a longer barrel to move around with and if it is rifled I would not shoot anything but slugs out of it . Rifling will get loaded up with plastic .

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    here's my take!!!

most room in the house are 12'x10' or smaller. I think the largest room or distance you'll shoot in your house for HD is 20'-25'.....at which point all you need to do is point the shotgun barrel and line up with your target and shoot

I think a red dot or any sights for target acquisition will interfere with you. I think the 18" bbl is just fine to go around corners or room clearing. Have a field bbl you risk the bad guy possibly grabbing the bbl in a conflict.

just my $0.02

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    here's my take!!!

most room in the house are 12'x10' or smaller. I think the largest room or distance you'll shoot in your house for HD is 20'-25'.....at which point all you need to do is point the shotgun barrel and line up with your target and shoot

I think a red dot or any sights for target acquisition will interfere with you. I think the 18" bbl is just fine to go around corners or room clearing. Have a field bbl you risk the bad guy possibly grabbing the bbl in a conflict.

just my $0.02

Dead on. My first shotgun was a full size Mossberg 500. I lived in a tiny apartment. Swinging that gun around into position in that place was about as easy as parallel parking a 1966 Chrysler in there.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    here's my take!!!

just my $0.02

That's why I like a KEG-12, 18 inches are too long :D

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    here's my take!!!

just my $0.02

Yeah, probably right. If it made a real difference to have optics on a hd shotgun, I suppose Mossberg would make a cantilever 18" hd barrel for the thing.

Of course one could always cut down the slug barrel.....

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    I'm in the same position as you (I have a Mossberg 500 with multiple barrels, non-HD/tactical version) that I use for HD. My current setup is an 18.5" smoothbore with 5 rounds of 00 with 5 more in the saddle. When purchased, it came with the longer rifled barrel with rail (and a cheap package deal scope, pretty neat actually), and the loooooong bird barrel.

I bought the 18.5" barrel separately. Why'd I buy it? Because I wanted more maneuverability and realized that a red dot on a short-barreled shotgun is about as useful as a scope on a snub-nose revolver. Given the spread of 00 at 3-10 yards, you really wouldn't be gaining anything from it anyway, and may very well make it harder to fetch from your storage place quickly (especially with the longer barrel needed to use the rail).

As mentioned before, the priority should be to call 911, get everyone to an easily reached place with one way in and out, and hunker down with the barrel leveled at the door until the police arrive (ideally, perpendicular to movement of entry, as the first thing an untrained person focuses on when entering a room is what's across the room in front of them, not off to the sides).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The unasked question is this a Rifled. Bbl ? ( Yes M'berg made a cantalevier smooth bore bbl at one point.)

But in any case a plain bead bbl is fine for HD with buckshot.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    The unasked question is this a Rifled. Bbl ? ( Yes M'berg made a cantalevier smooth bore bbl at one point.)

But in any case a plain bead bbl is fine for HD with buckshot.

Yeah, it is rifled, but I was under the understanding that buckshot won't hurt a rifled barrel, it just won't pattern as pretty as if shot through a smooth bore.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Yeah, it is rifled, but I was under the understanding that buckshot won't hurt a rifled barrel, it just won't pattern as pretty as if shot through a smooth bore.

The rifling will spin the buckshot all over the place taking away most of the impact. Of course you could just keep slugs in it like I do. I would also get a light. Even a momentary target ID as you start your trigger pull could avert a tragedy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , It won't hurt the bbl , but it really, really scatters shot , like at 15 feet has gaps you can throw a dog thru. A riled bbl should be considered slug only beyond literal contact distance. Where as almost always a smooth bore will almost always group slugs within 2 minutes of Felon well beyond HD distance. If you had a really large yardoccasionally will need Kentucky windage , but indoors it's all close enough even with a bead.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    No , It won't hurt the bbl , but it really, really scatters shot , like at 15 feet has gaps you can throw a dog thru. A riled bbl should be considered slug only beyond literal contact distance. Where as almost always a smooth bore will almost always group slugs within 2 minutes of Felon well beyond HD distance. If you had a really large yardoccasionally will need Kentucky windage , but indoors it's all close enough even with a bead.

Interesting.

I am going out the family undisclosed location in a couple of weeks to try my hand at deer "hunting" with my father in law (who does a lot of hunting, but very little deer shooting). I'm sure after a couple of hours, we'll end up just shooting, like always. I think I'll do a little buck-shot-through-different-barrels-pattern comparison research for the MDS crew. Maybe even some slug-through-different barrel comparisons as well.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    One of you guys need to shoot buckshot through a rifled bbl at 20 feet and look at the pattern. I bet the pattern looks better than from a smoothbore at 20 feet.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA

Pretty much what he said. Box of Truth verified it.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot43.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom